Poll: The Girl Is Mine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

Sappy and I never liked it until I head the SACD. Great sound and fun musically.

Grant likes this.
  2. helter

helter Forum Resident

It's produced much better than the George Martin say say say and The Man songs.
    Quincy Jones is a much better fit for that style of music.
    I prefer it for that reason.

3. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

The dog-gone girl is mine is one of the worst lyrical lines of all time, but not as bad as 12345-let's go for a drive. The banter is cringeworty.
    Say Say Say and the Man were much much better crafted tunes IMO, though I hate Paul's falsetto in SSS.
    It is one of my two worst hit singles of all time- can't think of the name of the other one- a MTV hit in the 80s with a jazzy sound and an obnoxious female vocalist.

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Bad song, utterly contrived 'showbiz' rapport, absurd conceit of the two competing for the same girl. I went for 'hate' but 'meh' would probably have been more accurate. Either way, it's a song I'd turn off or skip every time that opportunity to hear it came along.

5. Mike Visco

that is just it- you don't assemble a pop summit of this magnitude and do something "tongue in cheek".

A great "summit" to me is "Under Pressure" or "Whatever Gets You Through the Night".

APH likes this.
  6. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I didn't see a choice for icky poo.

dewey02 likes this.
  7. Mike Visco

I initially liked Say Say Say, but really liked it when I heard it in 5.1 on the video collection.

theMess and willy like this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

About my least favorite song on Thriller, but it was a great career move for McCartney to be on the most successful album ever. I prefer Say Say Say and The Man.

9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

True that we can't blame a song like this for giving McCartney a bad name, since he didn't write it.
    However, that's just what people do. The public doesn't care who has written it as long as the performer sings it - just look at Elvis or Sinatra.

No, I don't like this song and I find it one of the cringeworthy moments of McCartney's carrer.
    I like Say Say Say a lot more, even though it isn't top-notch either. The Man are also horrible and cheesy.

On the whole, I find that McCartney didn't actually gave himself a favour by doing these duets with Jackson.
    His reputation was quite good in 1982 with his masterwork Tug Of War.
    By doing the collaboration with Jackson, he got eager to follow it up very quick, by doing Pipes Of Peace which had the Jackson duets, a couple of great new tunes and then filled it out with outtakes from Tug Of War. A bad move indeed.

And this comes from a big big fan of McCartney.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I like the song, but I just don't want to hear it every time I play Thriller. I like the song more if I only listen to it a few times a year. I think it's just fine for what it's supposed to be. It works in the context of the album.

11. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

McCartney never did himself any favors with any of his duets.

Stevie Wonder, Carl Perkins, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello... that's a reasonable assemblage of talent. Any one of them would make a worthy collaborator.

However in each case, McCartney takes the same corny "you sing a verse and I'll sing a verse" approach, which guarantees nothing interesting will happen with the song. The few Costello songs where he avoids this format are also probably his best collaborations since A Hard Days Night, if not nearly as exciting as those songs.

12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yes there is something to that, though I like What's That You're Doing a great deal.

13. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I was surprised to read in Wikipedia that while "Say Say Say" came out a year after "The Girl Is Mine," it was recorded up to a year before, between May and September, 1981. ("The Girl Is Mine" was recorded in April, 1982.) It's not hard to imagine Paul was more willing to agree to "The Girl Is Mine" knowing Michael had already helped him make "Say Say Say," but I had thought "The Girl Is Mine" came first, given the earlier release as well as how comparatively tentative it is.

theMess, Grant and Zongadude like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Went "meh" because the negative options were TOO negative. If there'd been "I don't like it", I would've gone with that, but I don't actually HATE it...

forthlin and Agent57 like this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Decent song...

16. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Anything you sing can give you a bad name whether you wrote it or not. And perhaps I shouldn't admit it, but I never knew that Michael Jackson wrote this song. I've never listened much to MJ, I tried listening to Thriller once and hated it, so I've actually always regarded this as a Paul song. Or Paul dreck. Let's face it, its not like the stuff he was writing himself was any better/ different. I've always thought of this and E&I as peas in a pod, and exemplars of why I switched off Paul in the '80s.

Does that make me one of The Public? Am I now banned from this forum?

17. Say

Say Forum Resident

I'm with the Meh crowd. Eighties 'Meh' at that. Sappy, cute, boring and whatever.

18. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

"I'm a lover, not a fighter..." One of Paul's most embarrassing moments. Right up there with Bowie and Jagger doing "Dancing In The Streets."

Lucidae and APH like this.
  19. Mike Visco

As far as his collaborations go, I think the "unplugged" demos with Costello are one of the best things he's done since the Beatles.

theMess and forthlin like this.
  20. Mike Visco

Doesn't Michael sing that part- or are you just referring to the banal banter in general?

theMess likes this.
  21. Hate it, but don't care enough to do so with any passion. But: it's anodyne. It's cheesy. It's stilted. It's offensively inoffensive. It's sonic Olestra, with similar side effects. Anyone who likes it gets a big asterisk added to any music recommendations they make, by law.

johnnyyen and willy like this.
  22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

If it's not the absolute most embarrassing thing he's ever done, it's damn close. No "it's meant for kids" excuses to wash away this rock and roll offense.

Besides being not at all believable, of course.

See my Sig for details.

mrjinks likes this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

meh Goo gooooooooooo meh jooba jooba jooba jooba jooba jooba

24. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Cool tune.

25. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Horrible, horrible, horrible.......

Thread Status: