Poll:The Greatest Bands Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I voted for:

Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple

And if I could add a few more, it would Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Blind Faith, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Judas Priest, and UFO. And a crapload more. I never really think of "my favorite bands." I just listen to as much good music as I can. :D

2. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

U2, REM and three others: Guided by Voices (all-things-Bob Pollard, really), Pearl Jam, and the Wedding Present/Cinerama.

What the heck is Chicago doing on that list? Oh yeah, now I remember-- they have the three greatest songwriters of all-time, so of course they deserve to be included.

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Other: ZZ Top

Out of those listed I voted for The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple (sorry to se so little love for the latter), and if Cream had been on there they would have gotten a vote as well.

From the list I also love The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Doors and parts of the careers of The Rolling Stones (60s/Decca), The Who (60s/pre-Polydor), The Kinks (60s/Pye), AC/DC (Bon Scott), Yes (Bruford years), Jethro Tull (up through 70s). There are of course a whole bunch of others not listed that I would have considered, like Alice Cooper and Blue Öyster Cult, just to name a couple.

4. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

That band from Liverpool

5. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I voted for the Beatles from the list of bands rather than go for Other. Had I done that, I'd have voted for King Crimson. I base those two solely on the number of recordings I have from each band and the fact that I love all the releases form both bands (okay, I'm not nuts about Earthbound, but still...). I didn't realize you could vote for more than one.

6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I agree that not having Rush on there is just plain wrong, given their success and longevity.

Of the bands listed, only 3 are in my top 10 (Queen, Pink Floyd, Yes) and 3 are in my 11-25 range (Beatles, Zeppelin, u2).

How in God's creation did The Clash, Velvet Underground, Kiss and Chicago make this list??

7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

8. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

U2. They're the greatest band on this planet right now! :D

9. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Husker Du
    Sugar
    Meat Puppets
    Phish
    Grateful Dead

10. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

This was one hard poll. I really wanted to choose more than 5 bands but anyway I chose other (Iron Maiden), The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.

I really would have liked to choose Metallica and The Rolling Stones too, but sadly I couldn't. I'm a slightly bigger fan of Metallica than AC/DC and for me The Rolling Stones and The Beatles are equal on my list. Now the reason I didn't choose Metallica was maybe because I only like their first 5 albums but if i could have chosen more than 5 then I would've easily chosen them too.

EDIT: I've now switched AC/DC with The Rolling Stones. Because like it or not, The Rolling Stones is a far more classic, influental and greater band than AC/DC and this is not me being subjective.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

From that list I chose CSNY first.....however I prefer just CSN. Beyond DeJa Vu I find CSNY albums an incredibly unexciting thought to pull out and play.

Then....Stones, Kiss, Tull and Other......

12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

My top 5 is

Other
    Other
    Other
    Other
    Other

13. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

R.E.M.
    Beatles
    Stones
    U2
    Led Zeppelin

14. erocky

erocky Senior Member

In rock history, there is no topping this 5, period!

Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who

The Beatles have the greatest catalog ever. There is just no bad albums in their history. They also just did so many things first and better than other people.

Having said that, I also believe that there can be a real argument made that the Rolling Stones are the greatest band in rock history. They also have an awesome body of work. Their longevity speaks for itself and is remarkable.

Led Zeppelin also for many people could easily be considered to be the greatest band of all time.

Pink Floyd is a band that in the last 15 years, has had their music grow in stature and I also think that they could easily rank as the greatest band ever.

The Who also at times were an astounding group, especially live in their prime. Tommy although played to death, was and is quite a milestone in the history of popular music in the last 45 years.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  15. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...hmmmm. This really made me think about what "greatest of all time" actually means and I couldn't answer that. I have my favorites, but that's just me and my personal opinion. Maybe popularity plays into the meaning of GOAT and that would probably go to The Beatles.

But here's my picks/faves
    1. Black Sabbath (the Ozzy years)
    2. Jethro Tull
    3. The Jimi Hendrix Exp.
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Pink Floyd

16. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

The Beatles
    Metallica
    Van Halen (my choice for other)
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Beatles
    Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath (Ozzy era)
    Yes and Genesis and Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd

18. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Thread title says “greatest” yet the poll title says “favorite”—which is it? e.g I can see why The Beatles are considered the greatest band but they are not my favorite.

19. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

You left out The Band! :)

20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

My five, in no particular order:

Beatles
    Beach Boys
    The Clash
    R.E.M.
    Velvet Underground

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Thread title should read:
    Poll: The Greatest Bands Of All Time During Rock Era

Witchy Woman likes this.
  22. bobc

bobc Bluesman

From that lot I chose:

The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Grateful Dead
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience

These are, or were, bands in which each member is, or was, vital to the music (so Rolling Stones pre-Ron Wood, Who with Moon & Ox...).

There are other bands in there who meet that description (e.g. Queen, Clash, REM), but they are less to my taste.

The Beatles, although the stellar musical group of the list, were not a band, but a beat group. CSNY were not a group - where's the bassman & drummer?

I would think that a few additions could be made to list of great bands:

The Band
    Cream
    Little Feat
    Los Lobos

23. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Chicago? hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhhah

rockerreds likes this.
  24. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

The who, Floyd, velvets, plus NY&CH, the Fall