Poll : 'The Monkees' in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

I was 8 when the Monkees show was on tv 1967. I loved the show as a kid.

2. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Yes I do. I was a bopper in 63.

starduster likes this.
  3. Say

Say Forum Resident

thanks for the comments readr.

The influence by members on this forum is a nice thing. We get our interest perked just by reading posts, and for me, that lead to purchases of the Monkees, first press cds, Lounge, and psychedlic era music among others. Recently I bought some Quicksilver Messenger Service, Country Joe and the Fish, Serge Gainsbourg, and Les Baxter, among others. This is fun stuff.

Hep Alien and IronWaffle like this.
  4. moops

moops Senior Member

I've only recently delved into the Monkees, by picking up this great comp - Monkeemania : The Very Best Of The Monkees.
    I think it's a European release from Rhino around 2011 ...... it's 2 CDs with 57 tracks, I love the sound and the track selection.

Here's the info of what's on it ........ http://monkeesmixography.wikidot.com/monkeemania-the-very-best-of-the-monkees-uk-2cd-rhino-8122-7

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=4645627

I have the chance to grab a nice copy of the original Listen To The Band set, something about hearing remixes of some of these tracks interests me.
    Is it a good set ?

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I just got the 2CD version of the 1st album. Disc 2(mono and out takes) is really, really good.

6. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

It's a GREAT set, grab it! The remixes sound great especially "Auntie's Municipal Court" and "Pleasant Valley Sunday". It's worth it just for those two alone but the remixes are fun and the set is a nice representation of The Monkees recorded output.

Hep Alien and zen like this.
  7. moops

moops Senior Member

Cool, thanks ...... I don't see myself becoming completely Monkees obsessed, but I thought that set may offer a deeper sampling of their main output and offer something a little different with regards the remixes. Most reports about remixed sets are met with indifference, but many here like the LTTB set, which seems like a good sign.

8. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

I have one Japanese double LP greatest hits bought in early 80s. At that time I think it was a rare import because the next time I came back to the record store I was told someone else had come back to buy it and was very upset it was gone ... it's still mint condition though :shrug:

I also bought a greatest hits CD some years ago ... it's still in mint condition though :shrug:

9. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I have the Greatest Hits cd as they have a few songs I love. I saw them here in Rochester July 28th 1968. Good concert.

BeatleStair likes this.
  10. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

One night listening to "Echoes" with John Diliberto he played a Monkees tune "Porpoise Song". I'd never heard it before or couldn't remember it. It was beautiful. It had to of been from Sgt. Peppers times very similar sound.

Hep Alien and BeatleStair like this.
  11. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Here's the b-side, beautiful as well. And yes it's from roughly the same time as Pepper, 1968. You should check out the whole HEAD soundtrack, it's wonderful.

Grand_Ennui, Hep Alien and RonW like this.
  12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Thank you! Yes this is beautiful. Why haven't I heard these before I'm wondering but there was so much music back then to get through...

BeatleStair likes this.
  13. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Really enjoy the Monkees; had the first five albums and various comps on cassette, along with the Rhino comp that included "That Was Then, This Is Now" on vinyl. I never thought they were anything less that wonderfully entertaining, but I never did get digital with them, compact disc or MP3, until a few years ago when I bought the deluxe edition of The Monkees, thinking I'd get more. I really like the album, but it's still all of them I have. I've been holding out for the deluxe versions, but they don't seem to be on the market anymore.

14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The four consecutive #1 albums! I like each one better than that last! Cool when a band stays popular and gets progressively better!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I not only have a couple of Monkee's LPs, I have a 101 Strings doing Monkee's songs! I'll try and post a photo tomorrow if anyone's interested.

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I have the 90s Rhino reissues of their original albums (except Pool It!), "Justus", the Rhino "deluxe editions" of the first four albums, the Friday Music reissue of "Pool It!", all Rhino handmade titles released so far, plus the three "Missing Links" CDs and "Live 1967"... In addition, I have the "twofers" of Nesmith's RCA albums, Nesmith's "Older Stuff", and Nesmith's "Pacific Arts box", Micky's "Remember" and "King For A Day", and the Friday Music reissues of "David Jones" and "Davy Jones"... Also, I have some original Colgems LPs and Nesmith solo LPs...

17. Grand_Ennui

I have most of their original titles on Colgems (both the LPs and 45s) and a few Nesmith solo LPs, but my vinyl collection is laughable compared to what most people have... I'd like to get into collecting vinyl though...

18. Unless you're a hard core fan, I think you have the original albums you need from The Monkees. There are some excellent otherwise unreleased tracks on the Rhino boxes though.

I'd strongly recommend at least investigating Michael Nesmith's marvelous solo albums if you haven't done so already.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    JulesDassin likes this.
  19. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I have all the Rhino cds (1994-1995), The Monkees Greatest Hits (1976 - first Monkees album I owned), and Monkeemania (40 Timeless Hits) (1979 - which was the second Monkees album I got back in the day). I think I also have a few original pressings - without the album jackets though. I'd like to have the Missing Links cds. I'll have to grab those someday.

I believe I originally got into them due to some independent TV station running the TV show when I was around 10 years old. A couple of years ago I finally got The Monkees: The Day-By Day Story of the 60s TV Pop Sensation by Andrew Sandoval a few years ago.

20. Grand_Ennui

Forgot to add: Peter Tork's solo album and most Shoe Suede Blues CDs (wasn't there a "live" CD of them?)... Plus Dolenz, Jones, Boyce, and Hart and DJB&H "Live", Davy Jones "Live", and Micky and Davy's "Live" CD...

21. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

The main one is Headquarters for me but I have some best of stuff too

22. Grand_Ennui

Those should be pretty easy to find (eBay and Amazon.com would be good places to start your search). While they're all good CDs, if I could only pick one of them to own, it'd be the second one...

I've read so much about this book and I still haven't picked it up... I really need to buy it soon: It sounds very interesting...

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

They may not have played their own instruments on that first album, but neither did the Beach Boys on Pet Sounds. Still 2 of the best pop-rock albums of 1966 and they've both aged very timelessly. I have all of the Monkees albums through The Monkees Present and a double 40-track compilation, plus Justus, both Davy Jones solo albums, Dolenz, Jones, Boyce and Hart, 11 Michael Nesmith albums, and the delightful Floyd Cramer Plays the Monkees. Still searching for Changes, Live 1967, and Pool It. My all time favorite Monkees album is Headquarters. With its offbeat mojo, it reminds me a lot of the Beatles' great Revolver.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Instant Replay and The Monkees Present (after Peter Tork left) are quite remarkable. Not a bad song on either of them.

JulesDassin likes this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

All core music (incl. 'The Monkees' ) by The Monkees

Have deluxe & Rhino Handmade box

did not own it in the '60's
    we only had More , Pisces &
    Headquarters as i recall

Peter Pyle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.