Poll: 'The Stranger' (1977) album by Billy Joel in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not even one? That's really surprising, considering the number of big hits and singles he's released over the years. You'd think with that many songs to choose from (not to mention the wide variety of styles they encompass), there'd be at least one or two that appealed to you.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This will be pigeon-holing a bit, and I am sure those who like both will jump in and disagree, but at some point the "who is better, Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen?" debate became a thing, and that is when I noticed that all of a sudden a lot of people started hating Billy Joel. I swear, literally every single person I have met over the years who is a huge Bruce fan has little to no regard for Joel. It's weird.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Is that a New York/New Jersey thing? :)

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

One CD of The Stranger (US DADC for Europe) plus some CDs of his other albums.

5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Could be. I just don't get the hate some have for Billy Joel.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

I used to enjoy his classical album but haven't listened to it in years. Brave album for him to make.

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have no Billy Joel in my collection at all so far as I know. The possibility exists that a song or two might be on a long-unheard and dusty compilation.

8. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Peak Billy Joel IMHO. After these pretty much a singles act, I believe when a lot of the hate started.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I only have a greatest hits vol.1

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I have the Greatest Hits Volumes I & II. Did it come in single discs at one point?

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have everything except that Delusion classical cd.

I listen to and love everything from 1974-1984. Don't care for the other few albums really, and can't stand the total stinking turds of "Piano Man" or "Stormfront."

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s not it. Some folks just don’t like Billy’s music and say so, in their own way.

As for his old band, it all worked well, until The Bridge tour...tensions creeped in, and it was more about players discussing money and business than music. And, after the Frank Weber debacle, Billy took it all into consideration... and made a bad choice by jettisoning some 2 of his players, whom had been there since 1976. For me, the artistic peak peak was 1982. In terms of his band lineups, fall 1978 to summer 1981 is the best of them all. The 1982 tour lineup is second. After that, too much extra stuff onstage.

Oh, and I have The Stranger in my collection too :)

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think it did. I suspect Tommy either abbreviated the title or forgot it was I and II in the same set! :)

It was a weird way to title the collection since it came only as one release. I guess Joel wanted to say "look at how many hits I've had - enough for TWO volumes!" while he packaged them all together.

It is unusual that someone would wait to put out their 1st GH set until they had enough hits for two volumes.

And Joel put out a 3rd years later...

14. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

After nearly 10 years, I finally—FINALLY—found an RL copy of this in Denver this week ($8. A surprisingly clean copy.)

For those of you still pulling out copies to see if this happened to be the one, keep doing it, it’s as worth it as you think. Bass is deep, sound is rich and piano and vocals are pure. Everything I’d hoped for and more.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

All the studio albums, plus Attila and the Hassles, plus a couple of live albums that I don't listen to and a few singles. Saw him live on the Storm Front and River of Dreams tours. I wouldn't say I'm obsessive, but it happens to be really easy to piece together most of an LP collection in really nice shape if not in shrink wrap at common-stock prices, and I affordably filled in the gaps with some duplication on CD.

16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I can appreciate his talent but have no desire to own any of his music.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

back in my vinyl days i had his whole catalog, but never bought them on CD other than the 2 CD best of. i like him, but i don;t like him that much.

18. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I am interested to the Legacy Edition. It is available in Italy; the price is quite cheap. It should be really nice the Carnegie Hall Concert added in this release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.