Poll--The Weakest Link: ABBEY ROAD, Round 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We feel much lighter now, as we don't have to "Carry That Weight" that is "I Want You (She's So Heavy).

One at a time from here out.

Discussion question: The Beatles broke with their "rule" (which had been broken before) about having a single from an album. In your estimation, did they pick the right one? What would you have selected as a second single if you'd been given the power to pick one?

T8 I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    T8 Carry That Weight
    T10 Because
    T10 Oh! Darling

T12 Polythene Pam
    T12 Mean Mr. Mustard
    T14 Sun King
    T14 Octopus's Garden
    T16 Her Majesty
    T16 Maxwell's Silver Hammer

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

It's like trying to choose between your own children at this point, but I went with "The End". To me, though, side 2 is one long and beautiful song.

Yes, I think they picked the right single. "Here Comes the Sun" would've been a decent choice as well, but there's no way they'd have let George have both sides of a single.

RobCos02330, dylankicks and Aftermath like this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Bathroom Window"

DQ - "Something' was the right choice. "Here Comes The Sun" would've been a great second one.........but as stated, John/Paul (mostly Paul) wouldn't have wanted to release 2 George songs. Paul would've probably wanted to make "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" a single.

4. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Harrison and Lennon had the first single, so I'll go with McCartney and Starr for the second.

You Never Give Me Your Money and Octopus's Garden

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Next single "Her Majesty", backed with "What's The New Mary Jane".

Henryflowr likes this.
  6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Bathroom break please

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Her Majesty" / "Maggie May" would've been the ultimate Beatles 45.

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Golden Slumbers to go, I suppose. I'll probably be going after the fragments now.

Yes, I think they picked the right one.

9. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Come Together voted off......

Something definitely was the right choice, and I think Here Comes the Sun would have been a worthy second choice.

10. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

It would have gotten a lot of airplay by DJ's trying to fill some time as they approached the hard break at the top of the hour!

JcS

EVOLVIST and Zeki like this.
  11. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Voted off The End.
    Here Comes The Sun would have made a perfect first/second single.

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Golden Slumbers

Something / Come Together was the right choice

Here Comes The Sun would also have made a great single

Zeki likes this.
  13. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

voted Bathroom

single :
    octopus garden/maxwell silver hammer

(not a joke)

14. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

From now on I'll be (pointlessly) voting for Here Comes The Sun.
    Great song yes, but I'm burned out on it.

15. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Bathroom

In spite of that, it might have been OK as a single (backed with Octopus) unless they wanted to give George two consecutive A sides.

16. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Bathroom Window

And yes, Here Comes The Sun would've been such a great a single that it's odd that it wasn't one.

linclink likes this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Golden Slumbers

With minimal effort they could have maintained the "rule" and released Let It Be b/w Across The Universe. But to actually answer the DQ, yes, they made the right choice, and "Here Comes the Sun" was the obvious choice for another single.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    linclink and Zeki like this.
  18. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

She Came In Through

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The End

It's a drum fill and a guitar solo.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Octopus would have been a nice single following in the footsteps of Yellow Sub and continuing the egalitarian steak

21. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Golden Slumbers. Powerful but really just a snippet.

A bit off topic, but my favorite joke/novelty/bootleg single that never was is Revolution 9 b/w Wild Honey Pie.

Damiano54 likes this.
  22. "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" gets my vote again & this time I thin it'll stick.

DQ: Regarding the clever suggestion in the post above... I'd have gone with "Across The Universe"/"Let It Be" myself, since it might be my fave (or at least as fave) Beatles song, but they are both amazing. That also would have made about as great a Beatles single (whatever the A-side) in the history of their singles!!! And therefore, about as great a single as I can think of, period...

I certainly wouldn't argue with the single choice, but... what I'd pick for a second one I'd prefer over it... "Here Comes The Sun" as the A-side & IMHO the single most perfect choice for the A-side of the single I can' think of. For the B-side you can choose between "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Because" & "The End"...because I clearly can't.

"Because " is a cool choice, as we not only get a second Harrison-Lennon single, but, it's also the sequence on the album- as they are the first two songs on side two. "The End" is an interesting choice as it provides a McCartney option & it highlights the bookends of Side Two- the opener & what I feel is the real album closer ("Her Majesty" is the perfect fun coda, but feels more like a coda). And finally "You Never Give Me Your Money", which is probably Paul's peak song (either that or "The End", which is more a jam, with precious few, but perfect & incredible, lyrics). & it's the most likely choice rationally, since with another Harrison A-side, McCartney would be likely to get a B-Side this time out.

Whatever the choice, like the phantom single mentioned above, any single with "Here Comes The Sun" backed with any of those three, once again, would have made about as great a Beatles single (whatever the A-side) in the history of their singles!!! And therefore, about as great a single as I can think of, period...

23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Golden Slumbers

I think they picked the right song for a single.

Second single choice: Here Comes the Sun. Would have been an excellent choice and should have been a single, IMO, regardless of the fact George wrote it.

applebonkerz likes this.
  24. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

She Came In Through...

Here Comes The Sun should have been the single.

linclink and gd0 like this.
  25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.