Poll--The Weakest Link: ABBEY ROAD, Round 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Golden Slumbers

I think they picked the right single, though "Here Comes The Sun" could have been chosen for the A Side. just as well as "Something".

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Bathroom Window" because it doesn't really stand on its own without the segue out of "Polythene Pam" (except for when Joe Cocker sang it).

Gregorio likes this.
  5. Gregorio

Gregorio Forum Resident

Cannot believe that some songs are out ( I Want You (She's So Heavy)) and that She Come In Through The Bathroom Window is still here. Like Folknik wrote, its good when is a part of the medley (the segue between Polythene Pam and this song is one of the great musical moments on Abbey Road, great drumming and Look Out!, there's some outtakes of the medley where this segue sounds even better, with Ringo pounding the cymbals like bells). On its own, is an ok song, but not better than all the others in this round, so there goes my vote.

Something/ Come Together is the logical first single. Here Comes The Sun is the logical next, but probably that would have been too much for John and Paul's egos. It would have been cool a Here Comes The Song/Octopus''s Garden single.

notesfrom, Aftermath and linclink like this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Voting off "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window".

If "Something" was the single (I don't follow their singles discography), they probably wouldn't have let George have the second one, but I'd vote for "Here Comes The Sun" all the same. If not, they probably wouldn't let Ringo get the single either, but I'd vote next for "Octopus's Garden". Beyond that... ehh, "Come Together" is really the only single-like material.

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

"Come Together", a pedestrian blues motif brilliantly performed and flawlessly recorded. Lots of sizzle, not much steak.

8. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Bathroom Window.

-Richard

9. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

I had the same thought, but with the sides reversed. George and John got a side each of the first single--which I don't quarrel with, as both sounded good on the radio way back when (and now)--so if I'd been given the task of picking a second single, I would have opted for a Paul and Ringo side. Paul had a few other contenders--"You Never Give Me Your Money" and "Oh! Darling" for two--but despite its subject matter, "Maxwell" is catchy enough to have been popular on the radio.

"Yellow Submarine" proved Ringo's vocals weren't an impediment to a song being a hit single, and I figure "Octopus's Garden" would have fared well had it been the A-side. After all, it WAS The Beatles...

JcS

Zeki likes this.
  10. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Golden Slumbers is next....

My choice for a single would be Here Comes The Sun.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

With the removal of "She's So Heavy", I have officially lost all faith in the members of this forum.

AFOS, Drifter, Chuckee and 1 other person like this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D You can imagine how I felt when Dancing Days took a very early exit on the Houses of the Holy WL. Still haven't recovered.

13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

14. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

DQ: Here Comes the Sun

I was shocked when I figured out the Beatles discography that it wasn't a single.

15. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

It was, at least in Japan, but as a b-side in 1970. Odd. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_the_Sun

As it was on 1967-1970, some may have thought it was a single.

JcS

16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

SCITTBRW.

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

agreed.

misterdecibel and DLeet like this.
  18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

They should have gone crazy and released before Abbey Road - You Know My Name on A side and Old Brown Shoe as B-side. Now THAT would have been a wtf moment for people. Rumours about the album would be started and here they release a masterpiece.... could have been a great marketing move.

19. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Something, apart from not wanting to hear it again (though I have to say the haunting 'organ/orchestra' layer is totally intriguing) that video with their wives makes me cringe...... :hide:

Another single...... I seriously think the sparkly, bubbly Octopus's Garden would've been a killer. Is it not what POP music is all about? :wave:

20. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

Voted Come Together

Here Comes The Sun single simply because it's the perfect popsong

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Voted off "Here Comes The Sun" again. I just find the song kind of lacklustre.

Geir likes this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

At least you get to vote for the same song for the next bunch of rounds. Saves time. :)

Drifter and Zeki like this.
  23. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

That's right! :D

24. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Golden Slumbers.

Something/Come Together was a great single and I'll agree that the most obvious choice for the next single would have been Here Comes The Sun. But in a perfect universe, I'd have Apple release a 10 minute single comprised of the first part of the medley with You Never Give Me Your Money thru She Came In Through The Bathroom Window b/w Octopus's Garden.

25. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

As much as I love the tasty guitar solos and the sentiment of the final lyrics, I have to vote for the "The End" since it's not as full-formed a song as the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.