Poll--The Weakest Link: BEATLES VI, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"What You're Doing" and "Tell Me What You See". I can't recall ever liking either of them very much. "Look into my eyes...tell me what you see...what you see is me." Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Tony Sclafani and Oatsdad like this.
  2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Because you're supposed to vote out the weakest songs and those covers
    are very weak. "Yes It Is" is a beautiful song.

It's kind of "mid-life crisis"-like to determine a songs strength simply
    on whether it "rocks" or not.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. pmc7070

pmc7070 Forum Resident

'Kansas City' and 'Yes It Is', not bad songs but it's simply because I prefer the others more.

4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Looks like Dizzie Miss Lizzie is gonna get the axe. That's a shame, we used to sing that song to my sister Liz when we were kids. :p

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Bad Boy and Dizzy for me. I claim this as being THE FIRST Beatles album I ever heard. My mom had it and I'm extremely fond of the cover, songs within, and the way the order in which they are presented. I choose these two because they cut into some brilliant slabs of original Beatles material. Kansas City is a great opener but it won't last too long.

905 likes this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm extremely curious about how this will end. Could "Every Little Thing" top "Eight Days a Week"?

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thanks for the psychoanalysis. :laugh:

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

"You LIke Me Too Much"
    Easy choice. With amateur songwriting like this (the "...I really do..." part particularly) it is not that hard to understand why George Martin was less than encouraging of young George's songwriting.
    Of course he would improve very shortly with "Think For Yourself" and "If I Needed Someone"!

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't vote it out this round, but as I mentioned in another thread, "TMWYS" is the single Beatles song I find it hardest to remember. I can recall it from memory now because I intentionally played it 10 times in a row, but before that, the sucker just wouldn't stick to my brain despite having played it God knows how many times over the prior 35 years!

10. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

You Like Me Too Much and Dizzy Miss Lizzy.

The first is too goody-goody for my taste and the second always seemed like a weak attempt at a fast number.

tcbtcb likes this.
  11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I don't think many grandpas and grandmas want to get rid of their rockers.

gd0 likes this.
  12. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Words Of Love
    Medley: "Kansas City"/"Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey

13. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

The medley and Bad Boy.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

KC medley and You Like Me Too Much. Easy picks there for me.

15. 905

905 Senior Member

Dizzy and Bad Boy.
    I love the rest.

16. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

Every time I have a game with "You Like Me Too Much" in it, I see it getting slammed, and I wonder if I'm missing something. I will listen to it again, and decide that I was right all along--it's a good (not great) song. I like how it floats out of the middle 8 into the verse, I like George Martin's keyboard work, and I like the arrangement over all. Nowhere near my top 20 Beatles song, but a far cry from the bottom for me.

JcS

17. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Lizzie and Bad Boy for me. Two of my least liked Beatles tracks.

18. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I can't believe it! "Kansas City" imo, is one of the best Paul ever sang.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

"Tell Me What You See" and "Yes It Is"

The former is just filler. Never understood the appeal of the latter. Bores me to tears.

gd0 likes this.
  20. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Sorry, I don't accept the premise of the question.

This is not a proper Beatles album.:)

21. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The problem is, some people just automatically vote against any cover songs, and quite often I think that's a shame. In the case of "Bad Boy", it's an excellent ROCKER, with great guitar and --- of course -- John Lennon's gut-wrenching vocals! (Ditto for "Dizzy Miss Lizzy", another great rocker that unfairly gets bashed too often).

EddieMann and winopener like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I love all the Larry Williams covers - I think they're among the band's best covers... :shrug:

daveidmarx likes this.
  23. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

You Like Me Too Much just might be my vote for worst Beatle song, so that one was easy. Actually, they're both easy - Tell Me What You See is a really bland Macca tune (almost wish they'd released That Means A Lot instead). Boy, Paul's writing ability during this period was pretty erratic seeing how he could crank out classics (Yesterday, I've Just Seen A Face and I'm Down) and crud (Tell Me What You See, If You Got Trouble and That Means A Lot). John was definitely outclassing him at this point but Paul steps it up by Rubber Soul.

As far as what others are picking, Bad Boy is a real surprise. The one word notwithstanding, I've always felt it was one of the Beatles strongest rock 'n roll numbers. John's singing is positively demonic (in a GOOD way! :)) and Ringo's fills are pretty killer too. I enjoy Kansas City + Dizzy Miss Lizzie as well. Just goes to show you how different our tastes could be within the same group!

24. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

Then Capitol should return my proper payment for it! :laugh:

JcS

Zeki likes this.
  25. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I don't hate Bad Boy, but it has always seemed 'clunky' to me, lyrically and musically. I agree that John's vocal is good but (imho) some of the lines seem like a mouthful. I used to like Dizzy Miss Lizzie, but the "never-changing-lead-guitar" is what actually grates on me. Again, his vocal is great.

As far as cover songs go I think Words of Love is a beautiful cover and easily outdoes the original (imo).

What surprises me is the dislike for Tell Me What You See. I really don't understand what's not to love. I think it's got a great groove with nice breaks and great vocal harmonies. And You Like Me Too Much may not be great but I always like it when it comes on - it kind of just breezes along.

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.