Poll--The Weakest Link: Bob Dylan TIME OUT OF MIND, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Dirt Road & Feel My Love.

Thought it was quite good at the time it came out, but it hasn't held up for me like "Love and Theft" and some of the other late-period Dylan. Just not one I play a lot. Still, I'm a fan of the album.

2. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Went with "Dirt Road Blues" and "Love Sick." "Love Sick" is maybe just over-familiar, but I think it also lacks some of the lyrical depth of the other tracks. I agree that "Make You Feel My Love" sounds out-of-place, but it's a very strong song. Sounds the most like Oh Mercy of any track here.

Ideally, maybe my own ideal TOOM would start with "Dirt Road Blues," and substitute the Tell Tale Signs version of "Can't Wait" (an incredible Bob vocal on that version), in the same position on the album. One more piano-led song would also help "Make You Feel My Love" seem less out-of-place.

DQ: bought on day of release. I remember being put-off by the vocal effects on "Love Sick" the first time, but that grew on me. Loved "Tryin' To Get To Heaven" and "Not Dark Yet" the first time, and have grown more and more attached to "Highlands" over the ensuing years. After the early-mid 90's drought, it was a revelation to have an album of new original Dylan songs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Joey Self likes this.
  3. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I picked up "Love And Theft" at a Tower Records in Chicago at midnight on 9/10-9/11, and listened to it twice before turning in that night. I never heard it the same way again afterwards. Wish I could better remember my impressions of that album from that night, before it became seen through very different windows.

Syd Avett likes this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I picked up Love and Theft on release day. I was going to law school and it was a 30-45 minute drive away. At the time I had to leave to make it to class, I called the school and classes hadn't been cancelled yet, so against my now-wife's advice (and probably against all common sense) I drove in to SF. By the time I got there, of course they had cancelled classes. It was a quick and easy pit stop to swing by the Larkspur/Corte Madera (not sure which town it's in, technically) Tower Records on the way home, no one else was in the place. I felt pretty sheepish buying an album that day, but I had loved Time Out of Mind so much I had been really eager to hear what he did next, and I figured Dylan might be the right voice to hear at a time like that, plus at least my hour plus of driving wouldn't have been a complete waste. Still was a very weird experience, to say the least, giving a first listen to that album on that horrible day.

Syd Avett and Joey Self like this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I got it within a week of release. I knew the piano player, and knew that he didn't like the producer or respect his work, and messed with him all through the project.

I'm not sure I can vote, these songs are all part of a whole to me.

6. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

The first truly great Dylan album for two decades (and I mean no disrespect to Oh Mercy when I say that)

Dirt Road Blues is the obvious throwaway. I also picked Til I Fell In Love With You as it is the only song here that I can't actually remember how it goes without listening.

Surprised at the level of dislike for the album's most famous song. I like it and there are some great cover versions out there.

7. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

One song was easy. Two was tough. I voted Dirt Road Blues because it was a goner anyway even though I like it a lot. I think I had this on cassette before I bought the CD.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Personally I could dispose of "Dirt Road Blues," "Make You Feel My Love," "Million Miles," "Til I Fell in Love with You," and "Can't Wait" and never miss them. The rest of the album is good and at least with "Not Dark Yet," great. But I think half the record is pretty disposable. I think people were so excited to have a good Dylab record they mistaked it for a great one.

streetlegal likes this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think it's drivel, a series of obvious rhymes, banal sentiments and a descending harmonic progression Dylan could have written in his sleep.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  10. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Damn, I am playing Time Out Of Mind right now and I realize belatedly that I love "Dirt Road Blues" yet I sheep-like voted against it because others were. :mad:

Oh well, it is not like I am banishing the song to Hell for all eternity, this is just an exercise in preferences.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.