Poll--The Weakest Link: Bob Dylan TIME OUT OF MIND, Round 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We did nothing to improve the mood of "Dirt Road Blues," and resisted the plea from "Make You Feel My Love."

Two more need to go this time.

Discussion question: When did you last play TOOM? Has your opinion of it changed since you first heard it?

T10 Make You Feel My Love
    T10 Dirt Road Blues

2. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

It only allowed me to choose one. I still say this is a perfect Bob album so any songs voting off is like pulling ones own tooth with every vote.
    *** Changed my one vote to two. Not Dark Yet and Can't Wait. ***

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    GubGub and Rickchick like this.
  3. Joey Self

Thanks. I edited it to allow two. If you can't go back and vote a second--if you want to--just post publicly what your choices would be and I will manually add it to the total at the end if it will change the result.

JcS

4. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

"Million Miles" and "'Til I Fell In Love With You" to go. Great choice for a weakest link. According to iTunes, I last listened to the whole album a little over a year ago, though most of the songs get individual play often. I love Bob's work with Lanois. I put Time Out Of Mind in the top ten Dylan albums, probably top six or seven.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Til I Fell in Love with You" and "Highlands"

DQ: Its been awhile - probably when going through the entire Complete Albums Vol 1 box set. Opinion hasn't changed. It's in my top 10 Dylan.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Highlands
    Til I Fell

?: Its been a year or two, I reckon. Still my favorite Dylan album.

7. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I think with TOOM once you've got rid of the two outliers, beyond that, you're cutting into the meat of the album. Chose "Love Sick" and "Can't Wait" but with serious reservations letting either go.

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Only the best Dylan song since since... oh... the 70s... mid-70's. ;)

9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I listened to it yesterday to help me choose and it is still an amazing album. It's a bit long so it could lose a few minutes but what to take off? The obvious choice would be Highlands to make it shorter but I love that song. I'm going to listen again before I vote.

10. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Will have to give Not Dark Yet a listen later today. A great song no doubt. I am not voting anymore in this poll. Too good of an album.

ianuaditis and lucan_g like this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Love Sick' and "Til I Fell in Love With You". I like both songs quite a bit - the competition is just really stiff.

I last listened to the album yesterday, as the soundtrack to my daily run. No, I didn't run in front of any trucks or locomotives as a result. :)

12. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

"Million Miles" & "Highlands"

About 2 weeks ago. My opinion of the album hasn't changed. Except that I possibly like it even more now.

13. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I can't vote anymore either. From this album on has become my favorite Dylan.

Joey Self likes this.
  14. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Million and Love to go.

I last listened to it within the past year or so.

My appreciation has gone up considerably since 1997. Was not really a fan upon release - always liked Heaven and Not Dark Yet. But everything else, eh - at the time.

Over the next few years I struggled between thinking it's a great recording vs it's a great album

Now, I've settled on that it's a little bit of both - purely from a song perspective I like Love & Theft considerably more - But this album has a fantastic vibe - largely thx for Lanois I suppose that really helps lift some of the songs I don't like as much.

15. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Highlands and, I will be hated, Cold Irons Bound.

I do not dislike them and I love the album but one must make hard decisions here.

In Dylan's book I enjoyed his writings on working with Lanois.

DQ: Last night when I was three fourths drunk and my date looked alright. Great listen, nay an amazing listen! As I wrote in Round 1, I realized I loved "Dirt Road Blues" and should not have voted for it! I will probably rue today's vote.

16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Til I Fell in Love with You
    Highlands

17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

This whole "game" is a matter of opinion of course - but why "Highlands" folks? Length?

18. Joey Self

Length is part of it for me, because there is that long section about the waitress that just doesn't go anywhere. It all sounds forced, like a rough draft that should have been worked on or discarded.

JcS

Syd Avett and RayS like this.
  19. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Last full listen was probably when the big box came out a couple of years back but when it was oiginally released I was completely floored by the album. I am a little too young to have experienced the release of most of the acknowledged classics first hand. I started listening to Bob in 1976 when I was 12 and Street Legal (which I love) was my first contemporary purchase. I had to wait more than 20 years but Time Out of Mind felt like like the first unquestionable Bob masterpiece that I had experienced first hand. It was jaw droppingly great and I still feel that way. Possibly top 5 all time Bob for me.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  20. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Went with "Love Sick" and "Can't Wait." Surprised at the low regard for "Highlands." I really like the hollowed-out gothic T-Bone Walker vibe of "'Til I Fell In Love With You" and "Million Miles." Actually, I think those two tracks are the defining sound of this album for me, even if they're not the strongest or best-known songs.

I also think it's interesting that almost no matter which two songs go this time... after this round, we aren't talking about a cohesive album anymore. Just a collection of (great!) songs.

ianuaditis and misterdecibel like this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's been a while since I've pulled this one out. I don't think my opinion has changed at all.

22. Hotel@mnesia

Hotel@mnesia Well-Known Member

Marchin' to the City and Girl from the Red River Shore

Dave Hoos likes this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Can't Wait and 'Til I Fell In Love With You.

24. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Trimmed down, I think this looks like an album I like more.

25. Hotel@mnesia

Hotel@mnesia Well-Known Member

I would really miss Dirt Road Blues - sure it's minor, but it's great minor, and has plenty of humour. Something would be lost. As for Highlands, just one of the most tremendous tracks. I particularly enjoy how it gets better and better after a dreary beginning. I often find lines from this song running through my head, with his terrific intonation 'they're singin' and dancin' , wearing bright coloured clothes' - there's a link with Mississippi in that regard. 'Walkin' through the leaves / falling from the trees' is not the greatest couplet he's written, but the swing with which he says it makes it magic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.