Poll--The Weakest Link: DEJA VU, Round 7 (The Final)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as i stated earlier...'carry on' is an anthem.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

in his heyday, 67 - 77, there was no one, and i truly mean no one, that could touch stephen stills.

why he is not in the rock hall solo is beyond me, and to add insult to injury, paul mccartney is in solo, it isn't fair, it just isn't fair.

michanes and Tim Wilson like this.
  3. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We left "Woodstock" along the road, making

CARRY ON

The Strongest Link on DEJA VU

michanes likes this.
  4. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

Willy is a lifelong nickname. There's some footage on You Tube of the Hollies on a TV show in France and they call him Willy.

michanes and Tim Wilson like this.
  5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I know the truism is that Neil Young is God, and elevated everything that wimpy ol' CSN did to the level of Art, but I'm with you. Stephen was in an entirely different dimension, especially on the road. I know that he could throw off the balance by trying to turn group shows into Stephen Stills shows, but that 1974 set from a few years ago shows exactly why that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe the most underrated front man and bandleader in rock history, imo, partly because he tended to share the load -- but his charisma was off the charts.

It's also no accident that "Love The One You're With" opened most shows on that tour -- up through the mid-70s, it was as big as anything from any combination of folks in the group. He was a monster.

[​IMG]

I think Paul's fair, because PAUL, and because his career stayed pretty busy. There was a lull in the 80s and early 90s for sure, but in the years that the Rock Hall has been active, there may not have been a more ubiquitous performer, and few in that vein of classic rock as prolific in this stretch, either. Stills really was a victim of his own excesses, and took quite a long time to get back on the rails. I love how he's sounding now, though, and am looking forward to the album and tour with Judy Collins.

There's some justice for him with the Rock Hall in that he was among the very first two-time inductees, and THE first to be inducted twice in one night (for Buffalo Springfield and CSN). I'd love to see him in as a solo artist, too, though, which would be a great opportunity to recognize Manassas, plus his contributions to so many other people's records....but, alas, I predict that Solo Stephen will remain among the Hall's many oversights....

michanes likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no ignorance or mean-spiritedness or debasing meant in any way by this, but musically, lyrically, and in both their primes, vocally.......can mccartney touch stills, like you said, he was IT, did it all, carried it all, wrote it all played it all and produced it all for almost 11 years. it started with 'for what its worth' and came to a screeching halt with the boat album in 77.

Tim Wilson and michanes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.