Poll--The Weakest Link: HEY JUDE, Round 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Hey Jude voted off......
    Don't really rate it as it is just a collection of songs. However, I do enjoy it.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Maybe Rain. These are the 3 best tracks IMO, probably tied for first.

DQ: Honestly, I rarely think about this release. I listen to the UK releases, so this one never was in the rotation.

3. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

DQ: Of the American releases, it was my favorite. The opening blast of Beatlemania, the peppy/psychedelic single from '66, the jaunty "Lady Madonna," the majestic "Hey Jude" and gritty "Revolution, and the trio from '69 all give us a fine overview (not perfect, mind you) of the career of the Fabs.

And stacking those 10 songs against anything else in the catalog gives it a high rating, better than just about anything in the UK catalog. As someone pointed out earlier, though, it's like putting the Red and Blue against the White--it is apples/oranges, both fruit, but different.

JcS

Aftermath and rxcory like this.
  4. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Revolution.

As collections go, it's pretty good. Better than Past Masters V2, but then it had the luxury of including what it wanted, rather than everything not on an album.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Rain.

I rate the album just under most Beatles' albums. Back in the 80's, I just thought it was another album, like Abbey Road.

6. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

That's a strange poll. 'Paperback Writer' lower than 'Rain'???

Pizza likes this.
  7. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

Mine too!

Pizza likes this.
  8. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

A terrible release. Although it was good to get the songs that were previously only available here in mono finally released in stereo, it was really a weird compilation...from "Can't Buy Me Love" to "The Ballad of John and Yoko" all on one 'new' album. Bad idea. They should have put the single version of "Get Back" on there instead. There was still "Not Guilty" to release too...and the demo of "Come and Get It" would have been right at home on here too.

9. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

As it should be....

applebonkerz likes this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Ha ha ha ha voting off their most monumental single and leaving - RAIN!
    ==
    "Hey Jude" was nominated for the Grammy Awards of 1969 in the categories of Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, but failed to win any of them.[120] In the 1968 NME Readers' Poll, "Hey Jude" was named the best single of the year,[121] and the song also won the 1968 Ivor Novello Award for "A-Side With the Highest Sales".[122] In 2001, "Hey Jude" was inducted into the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences Grammy Hall of Fame.[123]

In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked "Hey Jude" at number eight on the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time", making it the highest-placed Beatles song on the list.[124] Among its many appearances in other best-song-of-all-time lists, VH1 placed it seventh in 2000 and Mojo ranked it at number 29 in the same year, having placed the song seventh in a 1997 list of "The 100 Greatest Singles of All Time".[125] In 1976, the NME ranked it 38th on the magazine's "Top 100 Singles of All Time", and the track appeared at number 77 on the same publication's "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time" in 2014.[125] In January 2001, "Hey Jude" came in third on Channel 4's list of the "100 Greatest Singles".[126] The Amusement & Music Operators Association ranks "Hey Jude" as the 11th-best jukebox single of all time.[127] In 2008, the song appeared in eighth place on Billboard‍ 's "All Time Hot 100 Songs".[67]

In July 2006, Mojo placed "Hey Jude" at number 12 on its list of "The 101 Greatest Beatles Songs" (between "Eleanor Rigby" and "Come Together").[128] On a similar list compiled four years later, Rolling Stone ranked the song at number seven.[129]
    ==
    You guys.

RAIN!

11. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

This is tough, but I have to say goodbye to "Rain". The other two comprise the 2nd best single ever (behind only Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane).

Among US releases, it ranks behind MEET THE BEATLES, RUBBER SOUL, SGT PEPPER, THE WHITE ALBUM, and ABBEY ROAD, on a par with REVOLVER, YESTERDAY AND TODAY , and MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, and ahead of everything else.

For UK releases it ranks behind RUBBER SOUL, REVOLVER, SGT PEPPER, THE WHITE ALBUM, and ABBEY ROAD and on a par with A HARD DAYS NIGHT, HELP, and MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, and ahead of everything else.

12. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

I would rank this in the middle of the pack for US albums I guess it's hard for me to gauge it overall. As I grew up with the UK releases snd didn't know about this album till long after I'd formed an attachment to those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.