Poll-- The Weakest Link: The Bangles ALL OVER THE PLACE, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

The 1984 debut album by The Bangles only reached #153 on the Billboard album chart, but I think it has enough fans to give us a fun WL game this week. Pick two of these as weak links.

Discussion question: When did you first hear ALL OVER THE PLACE? What did you think of it then?

JcS

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Restless Meets The Eye

DQ: Early 200o's. I had only known The Bangles from their 3 big hits in the 80s (Manic/Egyptian/Flame) and never liked them. I took interest when they covered "Tear Off Your Own Head" (being an Elvis Costello fan) and then late in the game realized their love of garage and power pop. I read a review that All Over The Place was more along those lines than their 2nd & 3rd albums. I bought Manic Monday: The Best of The Bangles as it was (at the time) a 2 CD set that contained all of All Over The Place and was cheaper than a single disc. I preferred these tracks (and B-sides like "Where Were You When I Needed You?") over the Different Light and Everything tracks (save their power pop covers).

3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Bought it after I had Different Light. Preferred All Over The Place at the time and still do.

John Adam and Jimmy B. like this.
  4. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Bangles bashing?:righton:

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Secret Silent Treatment

DQ: Just finished hearing the entire album for the first time. I like it.

Rochdale3 likes this.
  6. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I lika da Bangles very nice[​IMG]

7. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I first heard it in 1984 when I borrowed the cassette from the local library. My brother had the EP so I was very familiar with that.

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

More Than Meets The Eye and He's Got A Secret.

Let me see, I first heard The Bangles though their A Different Light album when it came out in '86, I was working at a Record Factory (that became a Wherehouse) and heard it there and got it, so I probably heard this a couple years later, or maybe a few.
    This album is WAY better to me. It's their best IMO.
    I recall I first owned it on cassette, then vinyl and eventually CD, I just have it on CD now.
    I wish I had seen them live. I didn't get into them really from the A Different Light album.

9. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

DQ: I bought it on vinyl in the late 80's, I think. I'm pretty sure I had it before EVERYTHING came out. If I'm not wrong, it was one of "The Nice Price" issues. My initial impression was that it was good, but not as good as DIFFERENT LIGHT.

JcS

10. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Bought it on the strength of the Hero Takes A Fall video I think. I'm sure I'd see them before that live on The Tube though. Great album. Their best probably.

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Silent eye

12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I had already bought their debut EP "The Bangles" and loved it. I bought All Over The Place when it came out not having heard anything off it yet. I thought now this is MUCH better than The Go-Gos.

BZync and CBS 65780 like this.
  13. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

More than Meets the Eye was the only easy pick for me. There isn't a dud on this album. I bought All Over the Place when it was released, having heard the preceding ep and liking it. It was an instant classic among my college friends. Everyone seemed to like it.

BZync likes this.
  14. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums. I loved the EP and could not believe how strong this album was (and still is).

If I could give two votes to "More than Meets The Eye", I would. But I added Restless. Silent Treatment will go next and after that, it will be *very hard* to pick a dud.

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

Bought it shortly after it was released. I only wish they had made a couple more records in this vein before cashing in.

RevUp64 likes this.
  16. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Liverpool
    Meets The Eye

I think I may have seen the video for Hero Takes A Fall before I bought the album back in '84.

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Tacking on their cover of 'Where Were You When I Needed You' makes this album
    their strongest musical statement and grants them full "Paisley Underground" status.

LandHorses likes this.
  18. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

this album is so good, I had a tough time deciding if any of them were weak.

I had this on cassette when it first came out. Somebody told me, hey, theres this new band, all girls, and they can actually really play!
    I thought they were pulling my leg until I bought it and listened to it. What a great band they were.

John Adam likes this.
  19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Interestingly, I can't remember where or why I originally picked up a copy of All Over The Place. It was probably on CD based on a recommendation from someone. I also have it on vinyl now. It's one of my favorite albums.

20. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

Had this LP since it came out, not a weak song on it and the Grassroots' b-side is the definitive version of that song. I participated in the poll but declare this matter INVALID :hide::winkgrin:

Lightworker and RevUp64 like this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Voted for Silent Treatment and More Than Meets the Eye. Don't understand all the votes for Secret.

First heard it only about five years ago. Love it!

22. 1. "More Than Meets The eye"
    2. "All About You"

I think it's an excellent debut with no real stinkers and a couple of classics.

The Bangles have the finest harmonies of any all-girl rock band I know of.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

This doesn't address the question....but Susannah Hoffs is sooooooo hot!

Mr. D likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think I got the album early 1987. The first Bangles song I liked was "If She Knew What She Want", and I got the 45 of that summer 1986.

I got "Different Light" on CD late 1986 via Columbia House, and liked it enough to prompt me to get "AOTP" not long after that!

I liked the album a lot - I thought it was more consistent and superior to "DL"...

25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I went to high school with the sisters. Later, when they were recording the 1st album for Columbia, the producer would come in to my record store frequently, not knowing that I was close friends with the band, always complaining how impossible the group was to work with. Good times!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    bekayne and Wombat Reynolds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.