Poll: Top 5-7 Star Wars films so far?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I voted for the original 3 movies......

BEST 3 PART MOVIE EVER!!!!!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

(Haven't seen Solo or The Clone Wars.)

For me, only four movies really hold up. A New Hope & The Empire Strikes Back (obviously). Then I enjoyed The Force Awakens and I think Rogue One is an exceptional movie in its own right. On the other hand, The Last Jedi is the worst film in the entire cycle, which is really saying something.

3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Empire Strikes Back is in my top 5 movies of all time. I got problems.

YardByrd likes this.
  4. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

1. Star Wars (2 hours of perfection - after 41 years of seeing this movie countless times, I still get goosebumps during the final space battle).
    2. The Last Jedi (I love this movie - and the more the Youtube lemmings whine so they can get their ad dollar views and lame fame (I also hate the ones who fake cry over the trailers for views), the more I love this movie. Rian Johnson made a "thinking man's" Star Wars, but I think he got a little too sophisticated for folks who don't like to take the time to sit and peel back layers. Perhaps a different Director could have made those layers easier for folks to peel? Don't know and don't care, because I'm satisfied).
    3. The Empire Strikes Back (Poetry-in-motion. My least favorite when I was a kid; but as I got older and became interested in philosophy, theology, psychology, mythology, and visual storytelling, it quickly shot up to one of my favorites).
    4. Rogue One (This is just pure Star Wars goodness. It feels like a "Thank you" to all of us life-long fans who loved the franchise since '77 and grew up playing with all the toys making our own adventures. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of an opening crawl with the main Star Wars theme).
    5. Return of the Jedi (The space battle and Luke/Vader/Emperor confrontation is amazing. The Jabba puppet looks amazing, but everything else in Jabba's Palace looked fake and rushed (and that was even my opinion in 1983 as a 9-year old). It seemed like the only actors still trying at this point were Mark Hamill and Ian McDiarmid...and Carrie Fisher in most scenes. Harrison Ford had clearly checked out since he didn't get his way with his character's story arc).
    6. The Force Awakens (After the Prequels left me a little bummed, I was shocked and relieved at how The Force Awakens brought back the classic OT feel. Fun movie).
    7. Solo (Just saw this yesterday, so prob why I picked it over Revenge of the Sith. After a clunky start, the movie really got good - and by the end - I was wanting to see more adventures with the young Han and Chewie. It was a lot of fun).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I voted for the original trilogy, plus the two sequels. The first three are the gold standard for me, and the two sequels are both very good IMO. I don’t care for the prequels, but I thought Rogue One was decent and I haven’t seen Solo.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It makes me hate Anakin's redemption.

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

TLJ wasn't paint by numbers - it was quite unpredictable if anything. I'd argue that The Force Awakens was paint by numbers Star Wars - a rehash of A New Hope. And Finn was far too cowardly and clownish in TFA movie, to the point of being irritating.

Leia using the force to pull herself towards a ship didn't bother me. It took up a few seconds of the movie only.

I found the social justice agenda more apparent in Rogue One. I wish they'd stop forcing that so much in the new movies, but it's not enough to stop my enjoyment.

Hermes likes this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Hey, I just made this list for my YouTube content producer friend yesterday.

My rankings are as follows. Sorry, no Solo; I haven't seen it yet; also, I don't count The Clone Wars movie.

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Last Jedi
    The Force Awakens

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I saw Solo today, and it's not making my list. If I were ranking all of the films, it would be dead last. Empire will always be number one. It's not just the best Star Wars film, it's one of the best films ever made. A New Hope has a pretty firm hold on second place. But many of the films after Empire can be swapped. If it weren't for the fathier chase on Canto Bight and much of the Canto Bight subplot in general, I might've ranked The Last Jedi higher than A New Hope.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Last Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Rogue One
    7. Revenge of the Sith

10. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

From best to worst (I just saw Solo earlier today):

Empire
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Rogue One
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Return of the Jedi
    The Last Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones

Notice I put Solo right in the middle because it's so different from the others and I haven't really had time to "process" it fully. I enjoyed it and it's definitely better than the last 2 or 3 on my list.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Shocked to see that the most unoriginal (Force) and the worst (Last) are so overrated here.

Hermes likes this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

About the same as my list!

13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Star Wars (I never call this film Episode IV or a New Hope)
    Rogue One

I never bought into the Darth Vader as Luke and Leia's father story line so these are the only films that work for me plus I love them both.

daca, Hermes and YardByrd like this.
  15. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

The OT, then the prequels, and then it ends.
    Before I'm accused of saying "Disney ruined my childhood", George Lucas was the one who self-destructed Star Wars, with the prequels but even more so with the "Special Editions". Just ruined the magic.

Hermes likes this.
  16. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Which year was the eighth one out?

17. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

The Disney movies are not canon to me, I think of them as expanded universe. Seeing The Force Awakens in the theater was the most insulting movie-going experience of my life. It wasn't a movie so much as a product made by committee, based on market studies of the lowest common denominator. I'll take a flawed movie like The Phantom Menace over product like The Farce Awakens. At least Lucas tried something different and followed his own vision, even though some of his ideas didn't work.

Flawed but personal is better to me than slick but soulless.

18. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Agree.

19. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Let’s see
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Rogue One
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Return Of the Jedi

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

A "social justice agenda"... this should be good.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

1. Star Wars
    2. The Empire Strikes Becky
    3. Rogue One
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Last Jedi

7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Phantom Menace

22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

No kidding. :rolleyes:

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Star Wars Original - Episode IV – A New Hope
    Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back
    Episode VI – Return of the Jedi
    Episode I – The Phantom Menace
    Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
    Episode VII – The Force Awakens
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The first three rule!
    The PM has Darth Maul.
    ROTS shows the beginning of Darth Vader.
    TFA has the return (and death) of Han Solo.
    RO was a damn good movie.

daca and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The Empire Strikes Back 5/5
    Star Wars 5/5
    Return Of The Jedi 4/5
    The Force Awakens 3.5/5
    Rogue One 3/5
    The Last Jedi 2/5
    Revenge Of The Sith 1/5
    The Phantom Menace 1/5
    Attack Of The Clones 1/5

Not interested in The Clone Wars. Never heard of it till this thread but the imdb rating tells me everything I need to know. I have low expectations for Solo; Ron Howard is one of my least favourite directors and the trailer looks and sounds naff.

25. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

[​IMG]

1. STAR WARS. (Not "A New Hope,", "Not Episode IV", STAR WARS!)
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi (until the Ewoks appear)

4+ Don't Care, although Darth Maul was bad a$$

Edit: George Lucas just changed the opening crawl again. Although I give him a lot of crap, he once was a man that stood by his principles. Had he chosen to put the credits at the opening of The Empire Strikes Back (which would have ruined the film), Steven Spielberg would have directed Return of the Jedi, and maybe could have salvaged that movie.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Dude111 and Hermes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.