Poll: Vote for the Biggest Omission from The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Agree

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

'Let it Bleed' album title track

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

I remember reading some reviews of Hot Rocks and the biggest criticisms were the psychedelic period isn't really represented on it and the early R&B/Blues cover period is given short shift, in addition to the omission of The Last Time.

I always thought Brown Sugar and Wild Horses seemed a little out of place since they were not released as singles until 1971 even though they were recorded in 1969. However, Allen Klein wanted to include them as they were part of the settlement with the Stones when they left Abkco.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    ohnothimagen and walrus like this.
  4. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Dig the Allmans Bros Heart Of Stone though.

5. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Ah, I'd say More Hot Rocks is a great and worthy set in it's own right, any way you slice it. So many nights my friends and I would drive around, or hang out, enjoying each others company and just absorbing that great music all night long. Just as the Red and Blue are the perfect introduction to the Beatles, the Hot Rocks sets are, to me, perfect for the Stones. They were certainly how I came to really know and love the band.

bluejimbop and ohnothimagen like this.
  6. John Fell

More Hot Rocks is cool but I wish they would have added a third lp to Hot Rocks and then had a separate rarities release. They still managed to omit a number of non-lp b-sides from More Hot Rocks that did not appear until the The Singles Collection: The London Years in the U.S. unless you searched out the British only import compilations. In addition, there were a number of outtakes that were not released until Metamorphosis and some others on the tentative track listings that still have not been officially released.

Andersoncouncil and ohnothimagen like this.
  7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

We had Hot Rocks from when I was a kid and I knew the songs on it pretty much, but not much else from the Stones (other than their singles from the 70s onward). With that bit of exposure, I had no idea She's A Rainbow existed till I heard it on the radio when I was 18. I still remember exactly where I was when I'd first heard that song. It had that kind of impact on me, so that's my choice. :love:

8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Better idea . . . get rid of the junk on Vol. 2, and make Vol. 1 a three-record set.

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

As the majority, I voted for "The Last Time", it seems the most glaring omission. I actually like "We Love You", "Dandelion" and "She's A Rainbow" best out of those on the list, but just including one of them doesn't make sense, because of this: >>>
    It seems that is exactly what they were doing, the Psychedelic phase is completely omitted, as if it never happened.

I had already written the below when I saw these posts, so I'm repeating the same thoughts:

I think the inclusion of "Midnight Rambler" that has been discussed is a sign of those times, if a 2-LP collection was compiled today I don't think that wold be included. I also don't think "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" should be here, and if you remove those three there is room for a plenty of the stuff in this poll. But idealy this would have been a triple LP, including the missing hits, and then there would have been a separate rarities collection, because More Hot Rocks is unsatisfactory being a hits and rarities mix, and as such does not work as part of "prerect introduction" i.m.o, but such a triple LP could have been something more comparable to Red and Blue.

My favourite Stones compilation is Rolled Gold+, because it includes all of Hot Rocks plus all of the songs in this poll.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  10. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Never owned Hot Rocks because I had the songs but I've checked it out of the library a few times just for kicks and that's a damn fine compilation. And here's another vote for Midnight Rambler's inclusion. Such a fine example of what they're capable of in live performance. Or were at the time, anyway. I voted 'Last Time' for the historic composition angle but 'All Over Now' is my fave from the list.

All Down The Line and RogerB like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

One thing to mention - side 3 is the best album side in rock history. Every second is gold.

Jumping Jack Flash
    Street Fighting Man
    Sympathy
    Honky Tonk Women
    Gimme Shelter.

12. John Fell

I like Rolled Gold + as well. Like you said, it contains all of Hot Rocks and about half of More Hot Rocks along with 4 songs that are not on either compilation. Both the earlier years with the blues and soul covers are represented along with their psychedelic period.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. John Fell

Another suggestion is to track down a cd copy of Rolled Gold + with bonus tracks. It has all of Hot Rocks and most of More Hot Rocks along 4 tracks that did not make either compilation.

However, I like the rarities on More Hot Rocks.

I mentioned that earlier in the thread. They could have created a 3 lp set of the best songs and then a 2 lp set with the rarities from More Hot Rocks, the missing b-sides and the best tracks from Metamorphosis. This would allow the deletion of the majority of the side 1 tracks on Metamorphosis that just have Mick Jagger singing with the backing of the session guys from the "Andrew Oldham Orchestra".

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah...that track lineup is pretty hard to beat- by anyone!

15. John Fell

Any more votes or comments on this?

16. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

It has always mystified me as to why they excluded top ten hits like "The Last Time" and "Have you Seen Your Mother..." and included commercial flops like "Wild Horses" (#28) and "Street Fighting Man" (#48). They are both great songs but they sure didn't sell very well. I also can't understand why they would choose "Play With Fire" the b side of "the Last Time" over the a side.

17. John Fell

Let's Spend The Night Together only made it #55 and many of the choices on my list charted higher. I mentioned earlier that it was my guess that they tried to balance chart placement with songs that they were more likely to hear in a live setting.

18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I voted for "One Hit to the Body." Kidding, of course, but Hot Rocks is perfect. None of the listed songs, including "The Last Time," should be on Hot Rocks.

The basketball buzzer tone of "Satisfaction" should always follow the last decaying note of "Play with Fire" as God intended.

19. duggan

duggan Senior Member

This a little like picking your favourite children, friends or episodes of The West Wing or Mad Men.

My top rankings of Hot Rocks omissions included on your list are:
    1. The Last Time (no surprise)
    2. It's All Over Now
    3. We Love You
    4. Have You Seen Your Mother
    5. Come On
    Guess what?

They were all on the sublime Rolled Gold issued in 1976 - it and Made In The Shade were my entry route after just hearing earlier singles on the radio.

20. duggan

duggan Senior Member

+1

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  21. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I think there should have been an 'OTHER' choice for such tracks as Out of Time which appeared on Flowers.

22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Totally this. There are so many good songs among the omissions I'd probably default to which ever song had the highest charting position. Would that be "The Last Time?"

23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I think this highlights that while Hot Rocks as a stand alone set is superb, as a compilation it is inadequate. North American fans will disagree but maybe that has more to do with nostalgia than content.

Compare and contrast with the 76 Rolled Gold to see the missed opportunity that is Hot Rocks.

All Down The Line and forthlin like this.
  24. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yes, I saw your post right after posting mine.

John Fell likes this.
  25. John Fell

Any other thoughts or votes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.