Poll: Vote for the Biggest Omission from The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Yes.

Following my most recent negative post about Hot Rocks I'm now playing, and thoroughly enjoying, the album.

I'm still struck by the oddness of the way the album starts, it feels as if I'm listening to side 2 and forgot to play side 1.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This album starts with 3 slow tempo songs! In order to up the tempo and stay chronological, “It’s All Over Now” could go in the second slot.

andrewskyDE and John Fell like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I'd have swapped "Midnight Rambler" for "It's All Over Now" and "The Last Time". I think it would fit on one CD that way. Voted for "Last Time" in the poll but both songs are top-tier early Stones!

5. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Moonlight Mile

6. John Fell

That was after they switched labels. This is an Abkco compilation.

7. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

What might have led to Little Red Rooster's non-inclusion? It had been a #1

8. John Fell

Little Red Rooster and I Wanna Be Your Man were not released as singles in the U.S and Hot Rocks was originally released for the U.S. market. Rolled Gold was released released in the U.K. instead and included them.

They are also not included on the U.S. version of Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The last six are Stones classics

Voted for She's A Rainbow

10. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

I picked She’s A Rainbow because it fits a style not represented otherwise. Plus it is one of their best songs!

I tend to agree that removing Midnight Rambler to make room for more songs might have made sense.

Zombeels likes this.
  11. John Fell

Any more thoughts or votes on this one.

12. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Well there is "More Hot Rocks" that has some of these songs.

13. John Fell

Yes, I mentioned in the first post to disregard that some of the choices appeared on More Hot Rocks. Which of the choices most deserved to be included on Hot Rocks or was the biggest omission?

14. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I voted "It's All Over Now" though I really struggled with "The Last Time" too. Personally, any of them would've been fine except for the dreadful She's A Rainbow. . . I never thought that psychadelic stuff worked very well for the Stones. . . Somehow it always seemed derivative and didn't look good on them.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

She's a Rainbow

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I was only a kid and not into the Stones during their psychadelic period and therefore can just cherry pick and enjoy many of the tracks from that period.

Had I been a Stones fan at the time I might have been concerned/ embarrassed etc by the psychadelic forays.

JJF would no doubt have been a very welcome return to form.

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I’m fine with none of those being on Hot Rocks.

18. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I voted The Last Time, which until the release of Jumping Jack Flash was my favorite Stones song even more than Satisfaction or others. Everything about it is great, beginning to end. Everything. I even play it on acoustic guitar. Heh.

19. John Fell

I am also a fan of The Last Time. They should play it live more often.

20. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

The Last Time works for me.

"The Last Time" is a song by the English rock band The Rolling Stones, and the band's first single written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Recorded at RCA Studios in Hollywood, California in January 1965, "The Last Time" was the band's third UK single to reach No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart, spending three weeks at the top in March and early April 1965. It reached No.2 in the Irish Singles Chart in March 1965.
    Although The Last Time is credited to Jagger/Richards, the song's refrain is very close to "This May Be the Last Time", a 1958 track by The Staple Singers. In 2003, Richards acknowledged this, saying: "we came up with 'The Last Time', which was basically re-adapting a traditional gospel song that had been sung by the Staple Singers, but luckily the song itself goes back into the mists of time." The Rolling Stones' song has a main melody and a hook (a distinctive guitar riff) that were both absent in the Staple Singers' version. Phil Spector, whose "Wall of Sound" approach can be heard on the recording, assisted with the production.
    Footage still exists of a number of performances of this song by the Rolling Stones in 1965: from the popular BBC-TV music show Top of the Pops, the 1965 New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert and American TV shows including The Ed Sullivan Show and Shindig!. A full live performance is also prominently featured in the 2012 re-edit of the 1965 documentary Charlie Is My Darling. The footage confirms that the rhythm chords and guitar solo were played by Keith Richards, while the song's distinctive hook was played by Brian Jones, suggesting that Jones may have composed that riff.
    A popular song in the Stones' canon, it was regularly performed in concert during the band's 1965, 1966 and 1967 tours. It was then left off their concert set lists until 1997–98, when it reappeared on the Bridges to Babylon Tour. It would later appear on some of the band's set lists in 2012–13 on the 50 & Counting tour.

21. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

This just proves that you should ditch Hot Rocks and invest in "Singles Collection: The London Years" which contains ALL these tracks.
    Of course you will also need (IMO) from Abkco:
    Aftermath (US)
    Between the Buttons (UK)
    Their Satanic Majesties
    Beggar's Banquet
    Let It Bleed
    Get Yer Ya ya's Out

All Down The Line and duggan like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The Last Time for me. Surely one of their great guitar riffs.

John Fell likes this.
  23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Psychedelia may not have been the Stones forte but I enjoy a lot of it. Actually my favourite Stones era - 66/67. Will take Dandelion She's A Rainbow et al over the more bluesy stuff which doesn't appeal

Andersoncouncil and duggan like this.
  24. John Fell

Hot Rocks contains Gimme Shelter, Under My Thumb and Midnight Rambler which are not on the Singles Collection: The London Years since they were not released as singles. You would have to pick up the individual albums that contain them or another compilation if you wanted those tracks.

In my opinion, the U.S. version of Out Of Our Heads is more essential than Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

ohnothimagen and Andersoncouncil like this.
  25. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

True. I guess what I'm trying to convey is that Hot Rocks or Singles Collection are great staring points, but you really need a good collection of individual albums starting with Aftermath. I should check out those pre-Aftermath albums, as I've always thought "Singles Collection" collected the best of those early years. I'm mote partial to the Stones psychedelic era and late 60's music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.