Poll: Vote for the Biggest Omission from The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Best song on the list, She's A Rainbow

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

She's A Rainbow...

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Little Red Rooster. Love Brian's slide guitar here.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'll take "The Last Time" over "Satisfaction" any day. IMO it's just a better song, better performance, better production.
    Yes. Brian's finest hour on slide IMO, even moreso than "No Expectations", "I Wanna Be Your Man" or "I Can't Be Satisfied".

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Last Time

6. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Here I am! As you know, John, it's been a crazy week for me. Every song you have listed (plus "2,000 Light Years") is a worthy contender to be on Hot Rocks. Heck, I'd have removed the two Sticky Fingers tracks as well, seeing as they also show up on every compilation representing that LP onwards (and fit in much better on those comps anyway), and there could be room for three more songs.

But, in the end, I went with "The Last Time". I think it and "Play With Fire" should have been flopped around on the two Hot Rocks volumes. I posted this in the "Greatest Stones Hits comp" thread, and I'll share it with you all in this thread. It just kinda sums up why "The Last Time" should have been on Hot Rocks:

When I had a jam session with the guy who first showed me how to play guitar about 8 years ago, he said, "Let's do a Stones song!" He claimed to be a HUGE Stones fan. With all this in mind, I kicked off the riff to "The Last Time". He looked at me dumbfounded and said, "What's that? That's not Stones! Is that a Beatles song?" I said, "It's "The Last Time"! The single before "Satisfaction"? It was a huge hit!" "Really?" He said, "it's not on Hot Rocks." Annoyed, I kicked off "Gimme Shelter" instead and he went, "Okay, now THAT is the Stones!"

Needless to say, I haven't seen him in over 7 years. How can you be a big Stones fan and not know "The Last Time"? One of my favorite early Stones tracks!

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This. I still find it utterly remarkable that LRR got to number 1 in the U.K. and I think it deserves a spot on one or the other just for that fact alone.

Exile On My Street and John Fell like this.
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

When you peel it back, "Little Red Rooster" should have at least been on More Hot Rocks. "Good Times, Bad Times" (I don't dislike the track, it got me through high school, but all the same why it) was on More Hot Rocks instead of "Little Red Rooster"? That doesn't make sense at all. "Little Red Rooster" in the place of "Good Times, Bad Times" doesn't hurt flow for me at all. Kinda even works a little better.

9. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Objectively: The Last Time (by a long shot)

Subjectively: 2000 Light Years From Home or Dandelion

10. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

The Last Time makes the most sense because it was a big hit and a really good song. But, Lady Jane and Little Red Rooster are even better songs that would have been nice on Hot Rocks.

I wouldn't want any of the other songs on the list to be on Hot Rocks. Sometimes compilations are too much quantity over quality.

Edit: She's a Rainbow would be worthy. IIRC, Ruby Tuesday is the only thing from the Stones' psychedelic era on Hot Rocks.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Personally, I like The Last Time the best of any songs on the list. My second and third choices would be She's A Rainbow and It's All Over Now. I understand their reasoning for leaving off Little Red Rooster as it was #1 in the U.K. but not released as a single in the U.S. However, I feel it should have at least been included on More Hot Rocks.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

She's A Rainbow is the best song left out. Maybe some other tunes better fit the concept of "Hot Rocks", but I'd still go with Rainbow.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. John Fell

Any more thoughts or votes on this one?

14. KinkySmallFace1991

I know @Dave Hoos has got something up his sleeve...

15. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I'm surprised that no one else voted for Come On.

It would sit well as the opener to any Stones 60s compilation.

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

17. blurayisking

blurayisking Forum Resident

Easy solution to problem..............Get the 2CD compilation by the Rolling Stones called ROLLED GOLD PLUS on CD.

18. John Fell

That was the best solution but even though it is a better compilation, I believe it is now out of print.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I find “She’s A Rainbow” is not as timeless as a song like “Lady Jane”... “Rainbow” is very much a product of it’s times.

I vote “Lady Jane”.

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

This could have been the ideal Hot Rocks, in an alternate universe of course and free from any legal hassles.

Side 1:
    Time Is On My Side
    Heart Of Stone
    The Last Time
    Satisfaction
    Get Off Of My Cloud
    As Tears Go By

Side 2:
    19th Nervous Breakdown
    Paint It, Black
    Mother's Little Helper
    Under My Thumb
    Ruby Tuesday
    Let's Spend The Night Together

Side 3:
    She's A Rainbow
    Jumpin' Jack Flash
    Street Fighting Man
    Sympathy For The Devil
    Honky Tonk Women

Side 4:
    Gimme Shelter
    You Can't Always Get What You Want (single edit)
    Brown Sugar
    Wild Horses
    Tumbling Dice

Added: The Last Time, She's A Rainbow, Tumbling Dice
    Taken out: Play With Fire, Midnight Rambler (live).

The band's golden years from 1964 to 1972 in one blockbuster of a compilation.
    "More Hot Rocks" could then have the tracks omitted instead.

Also impotant to note that tracks like It's All Over Now, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, and We Love You was not "big" in the States. And Hot Rocks is a US creation. The bands biggest market.

21. MHP

It was not released in the US until "More Hot Rocks" in 1972. Strange but true.

22. John Fell

I Wanna Be Your Man had to wait even longer.

23. MHP

Is that true, John? I seem to remember it was the original b-side of Not Fade Away in the States.
    I could be wrong, though.

24. John Fell

I don't recall it appearing on an lp in the U.S. until after More Hot Rocks as it was not included on Hot Rocks or More Hot Rocks.

25. MHP

That's right. But that was not what I meant.
    Come On was never released in the States until 1972.
    I Wanna Be Your Man was (as far as I recall) released as the US b-side to Not Fade Away. Thus, the reason why it was not included on side 4 of More Hot Rocks, as that side only included material that hadn't been released in the States at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.