Poll: Vote for the Biggest Omission from The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

However, they included Child Of The Moon on More Hot Rocks which had already appeared in the U.S. as the b-side of Jumpin' Jack Flash but not on an album in the U.S. which is the same situation with I Wanna Be Your Man.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  2. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Yes, but on side 3.

3. John Fell

So put it on side 1, 2 or 3. I believe it is less than 2 minutes long. It doesn't really matter.

Discogs says there was also a withdrawn version of I Wanna Be Your Man/Stoned released in the U.S. as well as a promo version.

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The inclusion of "Child Of The Moon" was the main reason I wanted to hear More Hot Rocks in the first place...and was decidedly underwhelmed once I heard that track!

5. John Fell

Personally, I think it's great.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Quick trip to Wiki and found out that "She's A Rainbow" wasn't released in the UK and made 25 in the US - deserved much better IMO. Also found a bunch of songs that were hits in Australia and nowhere else - "Route 66" "Fortune Teller" made the top 10 and "Under The Boardwalk" was a number 1

Dave Hoos likes this.
  7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I chose "The last time" , "Lady Jane" though was very very close....Essential Stones IMO

8. The two at the top (Rainbow and Last Time) are both worthy contenders -I chose She's A Rainbow because it is just such a well produced example of their '67 sound.

All Down The Line likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I voted for "The Last Time", though I don't have any strong feelings for it.

All of these tracks can be found on the singles collection, anyway.

10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I like this list a lot, but there are three early songs, two other than It's All Over Now, those being Not Fade Away and Tell Me, that I associate as early big songs from them. I also think Have You Seen Your Mother was maybe not a big hit in the US, but I recall it and it was a single. Still, I guess it's not that great, so I could see leaving it off.

Dandelion and We Love You also present an issue as they were a single. But which one? Both?

I also love Lady Jane.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think "Child Of The Moon" was included as a "hot rock", as noted the rarites part is the fourth side, the B-sides and album tracks that are included on the other sides I think are simply there in their capacity as good songs, just as there are B-sides and album tracks on Hot Rocks. "Child Of The Moon" is among my favourite Stones tracks.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  12. John Fell

I Wanna Be Your Man was a good enough track to reach #12 in the U.K. as a single A-side. Since it was less than 2 minutes long, it could have been added to side 1. They could have even deleted Good Times, Bad Times if necessary which was also a B-side in the U.S. like I Wanna Be Your Man. I prefer I Wanna Be Your Man as it is the Stones at their most garage band sounding. It would have also added another rarity to the track listing as it had not appeared on a U.S. album.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's a great track, and worthy for sure. As someone (maybe it was you even) suggested in regards to Meatmorphosis, I think something that might have diminished it's potential for inclusion is the publishing bit, I don't think they wanted to have any "unnecesary" covers on there.

I think what was considered a rarity was a track that had not been released at all in the US (as on the fourth side), but I guess it's still a "fazed cookie". :)

Dave Hoos likes this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Hot Rocks was a collection of really, really big hits. I don't know about their chart positions, but judging by the amount of radio play they got in the late 70s, the only two songs on the list that qualify would be "The Last Time" or "She's a Rainbow".

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It's All Over Now

- Incidentally, I use Big Hits and Big Hits vol. 2 instead of Hot Rocks as my comp.

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. John Fell

It's more of a sixties era comp that way.

The other night I burned a cdr of the combined tracks on U.S. + U.K versions of Big Hits and The U.S. + U.K. versions of Through The Past Darkly along with their associated b-sides that had not appeared on albums at that time in the U.S. as bonus tracks. They play pretty well and are about an hour each.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. John Fell

Yes, that is why I said they should have included it on a different side than 4. In addition, if they would have included What To Do and Long, Long While on Flowers since they were recorded during that time instead of duplicating some tracks on Flowers, they would have had room to add the U.K. b-sides I Want To Be Loved and Stoned to More Hot Rocks on side 4.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I voted for She's A Rainbow. The only hit from Their Satanic Majesties' Request and they couldn't stick it in there?

ohnothimagen likes this.
  19. Hardy Melville

Since it was recorded and issued by the Stones first, and in fact arguably written for them, is that situation what most consider a cover? I understand the publishing issue remained, but I generally consider a cover to be a subsequent rendition of a song done first by someone else.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Last Time

John Fell likes this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Bad choice of wording, no I don't consider it a cover. But I was also trying to make a general comment (hence the plural "covers") about any material not composed my Stones members.

John Fell likes this.
  22. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

HAD to be The Last Time but Have You Seen Your Mother and We Love You are also IMHO criminal omissions....

Dave Hoos likes this.
  23. Hardy Melville

I appreciate your clearing it up. We are on the same page then. Thanks.

24. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Well, how about something I left in my other pants? Okay, I've gone for something slightly out of left field, which is my favourite song on that list. "We Love You". I just love it. From Nicky Hopkins opening piano riff, to Jones' awesome mellotron part in the outro, and everything inbetween. It's dark, intense, and has a relentless groove that's strangely hypnotic.

After that, probably "She's A Rainbow" and "The Last Time".

KinkySmallFace1991 and John Fell like this.
  25. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Dear me. That's certainly nothing to be proud of.

KinkySmallFace1991 and John Fell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.