Poll - What Is Your Favorite US #1 single from 1979?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

A very good year for singles (unless you hate disco) I like most of them although I don't think I've heard "Rise". My choice would be a song that many seem to hate - Escape (The Pina Colada Song). Rounding out a top 5 would be "Reunited","Pop Muzik","Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" & "Sad Eyes"

2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Blondies Heart of Glass.....

3rd Uncle Bob, bluesbro and Fullbug like this.
  3. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

What a mixed bag. Some of these are truly dreadful. I would be happy to never hear Do Ya Think I'm Sexy (NO!), Tragedy (it just grates) and Heartache Tonight (I'd successfully repressed that one until now, thanks) ever again. I voted for Heart of Glass, but could easily have gone for Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (MJ's best song, IMO), or I Will Survive (classic).

When my kids were very young we used to play a 70s hits collection in the car, and they loved Hot Stuff. Fortunately I didn't have to explain what it was about because they thought she saying "Hot Sauce." ... "Gotta have some hot sauce baby this evening." And I would say, "Yes, she really likes chips, doesn't she?" :cool:

nojasa and ArpMoog like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Hot Stuff- Donna Summer

Fullbug likes this.
  5. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Lots of good ones, but I went with "Good Times." Boy, disco really had a stranglehold on #1 through the first half of the year. No wonder rock provincials were freaked out. Interesting how the year's three worst #1s were its last three.

6. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

Good Times. By a large margin.

7. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

"My Sharona"!

helter, keifspoon and Fullbug like this.
  8. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

What a great list. I'm going with "Good Times," not only for the song itself, but for the many grooves it inspired afterwards. "Heart of Glass," "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" or "What A Fool Believes" would have been next in the running.

9. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Ah... the year I graduated high school. These song bring back fond mem.... wait... these aren't the song I remember! There WERE good songs in 1979 but the ones that made number one aren't really my favorites (and I usually like top 10 stuff from the 1970s). I'm not a disco-hater or anything (I don't believe) but if I was making a comp of 1979, which I actually have, I wouldn't use any of these songs. Maybe I'm not much of a disco fan after all.

If I had to pick one it would be between Too Much Heaven or What a Food Believes. Or maybe Pop Musik.

Funny, I always think of disco being 1976 or 1977 but it looks as though it was in full swing in 1979.

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i will survive

11. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Me too. The song perfectly encapsulates the hedonistic 70s.

My second choice is Chic's "Good Times". Great song and the bass line inspired two other inspired songs - "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugar Hills Gang and Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust."

Fullbug likes this.
  12. I gave a shout-out to Peaches & Herb - Reunited. While the lyrics may be somewhat siropy, they are nonetheless well written and I have no doubt it struck a chord with many people. The harmonies are perfectly balanced and it's your classic Soul/R&B song. I thought it deserved a mention.

ArpMoog likes this.
  13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Heart of Glass.
    Clem RULES!

Fullbug likes this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I like Disco, but man, 1979 was awful according to this. Perhaps the nadir of pop music prior to the late 90s drop-off.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

16. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

One word: Yikes!!

Second thought: What a difference a decade makes (compare to 1969).

Even a half-decade, actually.

Went with MJ, since that track's groove is classic for most any year.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

A horrid year at the top of the charts, I think. I went wth "My Sharona".

Fullbug likes this.
  18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Interesting results early on...Rupert Holmes has 4 votes and the two Donna Summer songs have 1 vote combined.

19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

20. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

O.k., glad I re-read the poll queston. Blondie. "Still" a close second.

21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I voted for the Pina Colada song just because it is terrible and screams 1979 radio. Good times!

SonyTek likes this.
  22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

1985 was rock bottom for music.

erniebert and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  23. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Heart of Glass - Blondie

24. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Not much there that I would care to hear again, but I've always liked Amii Stewart's version of "Knock on Wood." Still have the 45. Of the rest, only "Heart of Glass" and "Pop Muzik" have much appeal for me. Have no recollection at all of the Bee Gees tunes or that 'Herb Albert' song.

25. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Not much to my taste in that list. I went Rupert Holmes, mostly because I often sing the "if you're not much into health food" part to myself while walking around Boulder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.