Poll: What is your preferred TV streaming service and device?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

We are currently paying +/-$100 for Google Fiber TV, but we are trying to figure out a way to save some money and keep most of the channels we watch.

My wife is leaning towards Hulu because she is interested in the original content.

After doing some research, it looks like YouTube TV is a better deal, but it doesn't have Hulu's original content.

I am also having problems deciding on a device to play these on. Seems like Roku and Fire Stick are the 2 most popular, but is there anything better out there?

All positive and negative feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

The Hud

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Big fan of Apple TV 4K. We often watch Amazon and Netflix via this box.

audiomixer and The Hud like this.
  3. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Watch them both on my Apple TV

The Hud likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm a huge fan of Roku, I have several of them and have got all of my relatives on it. I like YouTube TV, but one tiny issue to watch out for - if you're a sports fanatic, locally broadcast pre-season football was blacked out. YouTube TV was considered "streaming."

5. For a paid option Netflix, and for a free one Pluto. Streamed via a Roku.

6. The Hud

Really? Weird. I imagine the same would go for Hulu TV as well. I don't watch Chiefs' preseason football, so I would be okay.

7. Chris DeVoe

I didn't know this until my brother-in-law was freaking out, and I had to talk him through with cutting off a piece of coax and stripping 18in of it to bare wire in order to make an emergency antenna.

Rooster_Ties and The Hud like this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Netflix & Amazon Prime via built-in Samsung TV apps
    Disney+, Hulu & ESPN+ via fire tv stick 4K (not ponying up for an Apple TV 4K)

9. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

AppleTV with subscriptions to Netflix (best), Amazon (has a few shows I like, but we only have it because we have Amazon Prime), and sometimes we will subscribe to HBO Now for a month or two (when Westworld or, previously, Game of Thrones, was on).

And of course the AppleTV also see our computers, so we can watch whatever movies or tv shows that we have bought from iTunes that are on those computers.

I like the AppleTV device because the model we have has an optical digital out for the audio that connects to our home theatre's hifi... (I understand that Apple got rid of that on more recent models, which would mean that if we ever need to replace our AppleTV we'd also need to buy a new hifi - thanks Apple, you inhale violently).

10. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Me too.

jerol

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

You can get a box from Monoprice that will extract a TosLink optical out from an HDMI source. Here's one:

Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI Audio Extractor, 18Gbps, HDCP 2.2 - Monoprice.com

will_b_free likes this.
  12. will_b_free

13. Chris DeVoe

Does your TV set not have a TosLink output? That one should be in sync.

14. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Amazon, Hulu, and HBO on Apple TV.

15. will_b_free

I avoid running it through the tv because that delays the audio just enough to be annoying late.
    But, as I say I have a system that is working for now, and who knows - by the time Apple decides to force retirement of my AppleTV maybe I will have a different TV, etc..

16. Chris DeVoe

OK. Many TV sets have a lip sync adjustment.

17. The Hud

I am glad I have an antenna. Our internet and cable is out. Hopefully the service tech can fix it tomorrow.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Roku and youtube.

The Hud likes this.
  19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

roku….I have amazon/net/hulu and rotate a couple more....and ofcourse the freebies! pluto tv!

The Hud likes this.
  20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I have YouTube TV on Roku. I have 3 Rokus and love them. I started off with a Firestick but constantly had issues with it. It never really worked properly, even after replacing it once. I went with Roku about two years ago and have had zero issues. I am relatively new to YouTube TV. I had Playstation Vue for a year and a half, but then it started to have all sorts of issues so I cancelled and went with YouTube TV. I mostly use it to watch news and sports. They don’t have NFL Network, but I don’t really miss it. I am satisfied with YouTube TV.

Chris DeVoe and The Hud like this.
  21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Fire TV all the way for Netflix/Prime and YouTube. HDR10+ for my 4K HDR10+ TV FTW.

Gave up with all the other streaming services. Too variable and unreliable.

No broadcast TV is watched anymore. The aerial cable was long thrown away.

22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I use a Fire Stick TV with Hulu Live, Netflix and Amazon Prime in the bedroom. Elsewhere, I am a fan of Roku, particularly the enhanced remote that has a headphone jack and volume control handy for private, late night listening.

The Hud likes this.
  23. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Since there are no term contracts and no equipment to return, it is easy to switch at the click of a mouse.

Try Hulu for a few weeks and then try YouTube TV.

I was tired of paying a certain satellite provider $135 per month for 600 channels, of which I wanted ten.

The Hud and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

I really like Hulu and love Pluto via Roku.

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Apple TV for me due to the superior quality/algorithms that is ideal for streaming. I like the compatibility with my phone and laptop. Apple's own content is not there yet, but For All Mankind is well done and compelling. Not that I trust Apple, but they seem less likely to invade privacy and sell my data to third parties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.