Poll: When did you see Grateful Dead live on stage for the first time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Trust me, you didn't miss anything. ;):winkgrin:;)

BryanA-HTX and US Blues like this.
  2. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

March 9,1981 at MSG. A life changing event. I can close my eyes and relive it to this very day.

ianuaditis, Archtop and budwhite like this.
  3. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

April 15 1982. The only thing I remember is they played Morning Dew

Archtop likes this.
  4. jasn

jasn Forum Resident

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Whoa, that certainly tops me, even though I had an 11-year head start on you. That had to be a significant percentage of their shows from that point on. I've seen them probably about 50-60 times since that first time in 1973, with that total also including the recent shows without Jerry. There are a couple artists I've seen more times than that, including Frank Zappa, but the Dead would be in third place for me re number of shows I've seen from the same artist (and then Todd Rundgren (with and without Utopia) would be fourth).

rufus t firefly and budwhite like this.
  6. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

Paterson State Teachers college in 1970 just before Workingmans Dead . Stayed for both early and late shows.:nyah:

7. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Sadly they never made it to Australia
    I wasn't in a financial position to go to USA until 1995-1996

8. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Pirates World in South Florida, March 1970. We were doing something mildly naughty and spent half the show giving the slip to undercover cops. I remember Pigpen was getting it done. We were there the night they did "Love Light" and "Good Lovin'" -- I remember wondering why they did so many covers. Some of the local bands were better at that sort of thing (we had great local bands, including Jaco's).

I saw the Dead in Boulder in 1972 and they were a far, far better band.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

7/7/78 Red Rocks, 17 years old, can't remember much, but know I had great time.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  10. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Madison Square Garden 9/8 and 9/9 '1991. Had tickets to the Branford show (Dark Star!) on 9/10 but my roommate (and ride) needed to get back to Syracuse University for a test. I still give him a hard time about that.

budwhite likes this.
  11. Bracton

Bracton Forum Resident

I didn't see them until 1995. Saw four shows that year-the two in Memphis and the last two in Chicago. I should have seen some shows prior to that, but it would have involved traveling and that never really seemed possible as I was generally broke in the 80's while in college and starting out in life.

12. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

I am pretty sure he did. He got it in May 1973 so I assume he was. Although I was such a young buck at that show I was just taking the whole scene in. The one thing I do remember is that Donna was very pregnant.

budwhite likes this.
  13. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

12-12-80 at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

budwhite likes this.
  14. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

11/6/77 in Binghamton NY. Great show. That was the only time for me.

Orange T-Rex and budwhite like this.
  15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Expo 67 in Montreal.

Ya gotta love that fake 72 poster at the beginning on the thread. Fun but still fake.

16. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Winterland '78, night 1 and 3. At the end of night three while everyone was leaving I stood in front of the stage just staring up at Bill Graham who was monitoring the exits. I don't know why I did that. Guess I thought he was a legend, along with Jerry Garcia.

budwhite likes this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

The Dead in Boulder sounds like a match made in heaven.

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

'93, in Columbus. Or maybe it was Cleveland.

19. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Who voted '65-'66?

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

UCLA Pauley Pavillion, 12/30/78

I was a student, and was probably working a Greenpeace table before the show, selling t-shirts.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    budwhite likes this.
  21. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

Madison Square Garden - Oct 11, 1983 - the show where they pulled St. Stephen back into rotation.

Wang Dang Doodle-> Jack Straw, Loser, Me & My Uncle-> Mexicali Blues, Bird Song, Hell In A Bucket-> Day Job China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, I Need A Miracle-> Bertha-> China Doll-> Drums-> Saint Stephen-> Throwing Stones-> Touch Of Grey, E: Johnny B. Goode

22. Tippy

Tippy Well-Known Member

June 6th, 1992 at Giants Stadium.

My only Grateful Dead show. I wear it as a badge of honor because it was so bad that even hardcore Deadheads said it sucked. If I wasn't three hours from home (and in a somewhat altered state) I would have left.

I have seen Ratdog, Furthur, and The Dead innumerable times and have enjoyed them immensely, and I really like what John Mayer did with Dead & Company.

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Didn't see them until 1990 in Rich Stadium (Buffalo) but at least Brent was still alive. In fact he passed just a couple weeks after I saw them.

24. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

My first show was the famous Cornell University 1977 show. Although I loved their music through Terrapin Station, I was never a deadhead, I'm not particularly "mellow" and more cynical than I or most people would want, so I didn't"t follow them around, but would see them when they came to upstate NY. I probably saw them around 9-10 times from 1977-83.

Orange T-Rex and jamesmaya like this.
  25. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

January 13, 1967. Berkeley
    Opening for The Mamas & The Papas when Terry Knight & The Pack were fogged in in Detroit. Four songs, very much like side one of vintage dead. It's All Over Now Baby Blue hooked me. Didn't see a full show til Halloween.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.