Poll: When did you see Grateful Dead live on stage for the first time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

My first Dead concert, and, in fact, my first concert, period: The Pyramids, Giza, Egypt 1978.

I was 10 years old. We lived in Egypt (my dad was a petroleum engineer).

I only knew the Terrapin Station album of their music. It was the first rock concert ever in Egypt. I had to go (friend's older brother took us).

The only song I recognized and remember was Estimated Prophet.

I couldn't even process it. I loved it, though.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    US Blues, markp, budwhite and 9 others like this.
  2. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

Pittsburgh, PA in July of 1990. One of Brent Mydland's last shows, IIRC. So very hot & humid at Three Rivers Stadium. It was a great show (what I can remember of that 'experience' ;)) 'Throwing Stones' and 'Eyes of the World' made a big impression, though! I've always liked the Dead but only had a couple of albums. I was lucky enough to order one of the limited-edition box sets coming out in May. I'm very much looking forward to it!

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

not too many folks out there can say this was their first!

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  4. G E

G E Senior Member

Saw them in 1972 (I think) in Iowa city at At U of I.

Lights came up at the end of the show and one could barely see the other end of the hall due to smoke.

I never realized Iowa city had such an extreme air pollution problem.

5. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Definitely a whole passel of American ex-pats went, including a few other hip fourth/fifth graders, so there's a number of us out there. Cairo American College (K-12) was my school, and so many people from the school (teachers, too) caught the show that the yearbook had a page on it.

I was a lucky kid. I saw them in London 1982(?), where our family subsequently moved, and then Houston in 1985 (same).

budwhite and fishcane like this.
  6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

6/6/92 was at Rich Stadium, Orchard Park (Buffalo), NY. You either mean 6/14 or 15........or your mind altering stuff was great. I remember 6/14 being good for 1992 standards (and it was my 200th GD show). 6/15 was nothing special.

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

they played Giants Stadium on 6/6 in 1993

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

Kezar Stadium, SF. Opening acts, the New Riders (with Jerry) and Waylon Jennings. One of my favorite live shows even if I didn't attend it.

9. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

'70, '71 and '72. Great at the Fillmore West, great at Winterland and don't bother seeing on them on a sleepy Sunday afternoon in the San Jose Civic Auditorium.

jamesmaya likes this.
  10. Peter Needham

Peter Needham Forum Resident

June 27 1970 as part of Festival Express in Toronto - Other musicians included Janis Joplin, The Band, Delaney and Bonnie, and Buddy Guy.

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I've posted elsewhere before, but anyway some much older Boy Scouts I knew were going (true story!) so I said "I'm In!" I knew very little about the band-I had a compilation LP where they did a version of "Johnny B. Goode" which I really liked (odd to be typing this just after reading of Chuck Berry's death). I didn't care-I was little and wanted to go to ANY concert. When we got there, the 60s were still alive, particularly in the form of a very buxom and rotund hippie gal in tie-dye lolling her eyes around chanting "Any tickets? Any acid?" Inside, it looked like a Hibachi grilling contest was going on there was so much smoke. They took the stage barely after the start time, 7:45 and tuned and tuned and PLAYED and played. I recognized "Casey Jones" and really liked the material from "Go To Heaven." A bit before midnight they finished, then came back to encore with...
    ..."Johnny B. Goode"!!! I couldn't believe they actually played that cover off a compilation album. I doubt they've ever played that very often, I was ecstatic. What a first concert!

Stepping outside, the fresh air hit my lungs like a hammer whilst my eyes were dazzled by flashing police light literally as far as I could see. What a scene! I hit them every time they came nearby after that, my favorite memory being 30,000+ people jumping up and down at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin as the Dead started their second set with "Samson and Delilah." That *might* have been the show where me and my girlfriend were so under the influence we chatted for probably 40 minutes before realizing the show was over. So we chatted some more to sober up (and it takes forever to get out of the parking, so I was OK by then).

jamesmaya likes this.
  12. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

Palace of Auburn Hills 1993 - That would be something...

13. Tippy

Tippy Well-Known Member

Sorry, 6/14/92. I would be interested to know what you liked about it, and I mean that sincerely, as you are the first person in literally 25 years to say anything even remotely positive about the show. Even the two Deadheads I went with were literally dumping on the show from the moment it ended.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Only once, '94.

15. catman

catman Forum Resident

I saw the Dead twice in April 71: first at the Boston Music Hall; good show, then at the Providence Civic Center; awesome show. And unexpected; a girl came to our dorm looking for my friend Robbie; he wasn't there, so she invited me to accompany her. She had tickets, but no transport, so we hitched from Boston to Providence. Heads from New Hampshire picked us up in a van. A tense experience to begin, with the police insisting everyone get in their seats, but once the show started they gave up and I stood right in front of the stage. So good! Songs I hadn't even heard yet, including Wharf Rat. Uncle John's Band for the encore. And the New Hampshire guys drove us right back to campus, way out of their way. Good dudes. Never saw that girl again. Meanwhile, my girlfriend wondered where I has been for the last 6 hours.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

First and (sadly) the only time,
    Joe Louis Arena, Detroit 04-11-88

Radardog likes this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Somewhere around 1978, iirc

budwhite and Scope J like this.
  18. Golden Gate Park 1969.

19. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

June 1970.
    Festival Express, Toronto.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

With Jefferson Airplane and Sons Of Champlin at Winterland SF October 1969.

21. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

[​IMG]

Got the poster, too.

jerol

bmoregnr, US Blues, budwhite and 9 others like this.
  22. chacha

What year was that?

23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

1966!

Scope J and chacha like this.
  24. chacha

Fantastic. I'm amazed that artwork was done that early.

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. Uncle John

Uncle John Member

Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, 1973.

ianuaditis, Zafu and Orange T-Rex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.