Poll: When did you see The Who live on stage for the first time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I saw that show as well. Not mu=y first, but one of my favorite Who shows I attended.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  2. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Birmingham NEC 1982 - I was starting to look back at fifties and sixties music in general while at the same time seeing one of the seminal seventies bands that I had been too young to see at their peak. It was a great gig, but oddly I never saw them again. Still love their classic material but for me they became weighed down by their past and I didn't need to see them a second time.

3. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

My first musical road trip.
    Borrowed my Mom's car, drove myself & some friends from Cincinnati to Cleveland for the July 19, 1989 show.
    All I really remember about the show is that we were in the last row of the top deck of old Cleveland Municipal Staduim.

Apparently they played 2 sets. Standard setlist for the tour? Probably, but it looks pretty good to me.
    1. Set 1:
    2. Overture
    3. It's a Boy
    4. 1921
    5. Amazing Journey
    6. Sparks
    7. The Acid Queen
    8. Pinball Wizard
    9. We're Not Gonna Take It
    10. See Me, Feel Me
    11. Eminence Front
    12. Face the Face
    13. I'm a Man
    14. I Can't Explain
    15. Substitute
    16. I Can See for Miles
    17. Trick of the Light
    18. Boris the Spider
    19. Who Are You

20. Set 2:
    21. Magic Bus
    22. Baba O'Riley
    23. My Generation
    24. A Little Is Enough
    25. 5:15
    26. Love, Reign O'er Me
    27. Sister Disco
    28. Rough Boys
    29. Join Together
    30. You Better You Bet
    31. Behind Blue Eyes
    32. Won't Get Fooled Again

33. Encore:
    34. Hey Joe
    35. Summertime Blues
    edit: looks like it was filmed:

Spazaru likes this.
  4. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I do remember that. I also remember them doing "I'm A Man" which started with Daltrey accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. It was only time I saw him play guitar on stage.

That tour got panned but I actually enjoyed it better than the much more basic 1982 "farewell" tour. At least they did some rare and different material, instead of the same 15 songs they played for years and years.

digdug67 likes this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yeah it was a good show. I have the CDs. I like how Pete starts the show by strolling out and saying "F#$K off all of ya". He later compliments the lush rolling hills and compares Hershey to his homeland.

No Ox, but we got Robert Plant which was a nice treat.

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Spazaru likes this.
  7. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Was that the first night (Sept. 22) or the second (Sept. 23)? I had a big adventure for a few days in the parking lot and a University of Maryland frat house at the end of the summer to buy 10 tickets for the first show. I made some cash selling them but ended up not even sitting in the seats I bought. I got way closer to the stage after bumping into a friend outside.

As to whether it was a good show or not, come on . . . I was 18 years old and beheld Pete leaping about in his headband, Roger spinning the mic, and the Ox thunderfingering. I was in heaven! I do recall Pete rolling his eyes when he sang "Don't cry, don't raise your eye" and had a little WTF moment, but overall I was apoplectic with delight. Ah, to be young again . . .

8. June 2007 in Rotterdam, with Zak Starkey on drums and Pino Palladino on bass. Only Who show I ever saw.

9. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I don't remember that it rained. I do remember that there was mud, only because a friend ended up face down in it (he was OK). I drove 5 hours from school the night before after a big afternoon party and ended up with no sleep that night. I do remember that they sounded great.

(Great show for me as it was the only time I saw the Clash plus I'm a big Johansen fan.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    stewedandkeefed likes this.
  10. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I went to these shows (except Swansea - which I was later given the ticket for).

[​IMG]

I got this at Manchester as I had a backstage pass...

[​IMG]

11. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

1965 20 minute set. Never saw them again... wasn't a mod nor did I like Daltrey's voice.
    [​IMG]

12stringbassist likes this.
  12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

That's the first time I saw them, too. I saw the same lineup twice more in Toronto, including one of the two 'farewell' shows.

13. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

The whole concert is on YouTube, and I was wrong. Pete said the thing about putting us in the microwave, not Roger. Could have SWORN it was Roger.

14. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora SeƱor Member

15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Earl's Court "Quadrophenia" tour in the 90's, weak as water, dreadful.

All that wonderful music, no conviction, going through the motions.

16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I saw the show in Detroit exactly 1 week prior to Cincinnati. Great show as it was a new iteration of the band with Kenney Jones, a full-time keyboardist on stage as well as a horn section.

Rich C likes this.
  17. Anthony Genzale

Anthony Genzale Forum Resident

Opening act was Mylon Lefevre. Reason I remember is that, for sixteen-year-old me, having to sit through Mylon's gospel-rock act before seeing my rock heroes for the first time was sheer torture. The Who's performance, on the other hand: absolutely mind-boggling and jaw-dropping.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To be fair, I'm pretty sure you never had any credibility! ;)

I honestly don't remember my opinion about the show. I was 15 and excited to go - I guess I liked it, but obviously it doesn't stand out as a strong positive or negative.

I do recall that this was the first time someone offered me pot to smoke! Foreshadowing Nancy Reagan's later catchphrase, I just said no! :D

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

1997 in Mansfield, MA. Killer show on a freaking hot July day!

20. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Could you or anyone else tell me who the drummer was? I thought it was Zak Starkey, but I read at the time that he was with Oasis who didn't play Live 8.

12stringbassist likes this.
  21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks. I was curious as to your reaction to the show.
    You're right about my having no credibility. I used to get blank reactions when I went on and on about some Jewish folksinger named Springstein. A couple of years later, they all were pumping their fists at the Capital Center with their headbands on.:pineapple:

22. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Totally agree. Not the real Who after 1976 either, but without Entwistle, the live sound took a really big loss.

23. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Greensboro Coliseum 7/13/80. Not the real Who, but about as close as you could come - still a rabid crowd thirsty to see the band that was in the recently released TKAA film and The Who still pumped out the loud sound & Townshend was still as athletic on stage as ever. The opening paragraph in the newspaper review the next day said something like "Greensboro's latest event was The Who......0f course if you lived 20 miles or so of the Coliseum, you couldn't have missed it......or hearing it at least!"

24. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

First time, 1975. Most recently two months ago.

25. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.