POLL: Which copy of Led Zeppelin's "Houses Of The Holy" did you buy from the remasters campaign?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here is the poll for "Houses Of The Holy".

All orange ballots will be counted first. :nauga:

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

None. I prefer the original CD which is taken from the actual master tape.

Page and Davis can keep their crappy dub tape LP cutting master.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  3. If I Can Dream_23

I do respect the viewpoint, although listening to my copy of the remastered "Houses Of The Holy" is anything but what I would call crappy! I've always loved the bright and crystaline textures of this album though, so what would I know. :)

4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Super deluxe box. Spine got worn out easily.

5. If I Can Dream_23

They've been known to do that I guess. Yet the orange is simply beautiful. :p

Jack and SoundDoctor like this.
  6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

In isolation it sounds decent (especially if you're comparing to the Marino remaster, which used the same cutting master) but you can really hear the difference when compared to the original 80s CD.

If you have the super deluxe, have a look at the photo of the tape box, the date on it is from AFTER the album's release!

7. If I Can Dream_23

I have noticed that. The tape box that is. It's the reason these deluxe books are fun to flip through. :)

I'll have to pull out my original CD again someday and see if I notice anything drastic, but the last time I played them both in close proximity, I never thought it was much of a noteworthy difference. Not that I'm denying that the original CD is in fact a direct and thus obviously a better transfer. I guess it's just that I'm just not that perceptive, or particular, of the fine subtleties in pressing differences. Barring the recording being transferred on a toy console or something, I doubt I could run across a copy of this great album that I feel is flat-out poor, or unlistenable.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Gregarious and Jack like this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

This is the weird one with the sibilance in a couple spots. Returned one and got a replacement from EU. Then found a deal on a 2lp and bought that too.

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

None. I have a couple double RL copies, and I also have the Classic Records reissue. I'm set.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Have the 2-cd set. The bonus disc has enough interesting stuff to make it a solid listen all the way through (and I can only say that for HOTH and III).

11. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

What about I?

12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Both sound great to my ears. I like the Diament the best but I got the 2 CD of the Davis for the companion disk and to have another cool mastering of a cool album

13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I love the alternate take of The Song Remains the Same with the different lead guitar take that was amazing. My favorites off the companion disk are that and the different mix of Dancing Days that is actually a million times more clear than the album version!

14. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I originally purchased the single cd version but I sold it after purchasing the 24 bit version from Hdtracks.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Super Deluxe Box for me.

Probably my least favorite of the Davis remaster jobs. And...this was the one that had the gross distortion on the US pressed version of the vinyl, during "The Ocean." EU pressing had no such issues.

16. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

The 2CD edition.

I love the companion disc to this, the instrumental No Quarter is amazing & the Rain Song with the louder drums...

*looks up to the heavens

johnny q and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

Just a thread bump in case anyone wishes to vote who hasn't. I'll be tallying every album soon.

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Maybe my Favorite Zeppelin Album , i bought the 2-cd Deluxe & later on when they were blowing them out the Super deluxe Box :edthumbs:

19. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

None. Happy with my Diament.

20. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I got the single CD and single vinyl and after living with them for a while, I've gone back to my Diament CD.

The John Davis Cd and vinyl seem like different mastering; the CD is really bright and the vinyl is murky and inconsistent from track to track.
    Also, the vocal seems louder than on any other version of this album I've heard and as discussed on other threads, this wasn't Plant's finest hour.
    All IMO of course.

Davidmk5 and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  21. If I Can Dream_23

I believe that's because these new remasters used copies of the master tape on "Houses Of The Holy". I think the pressings sound nice myself, but indeed it isn't a pure transfer.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

As I believe I said on your (?) other thread on "which version bought", II and HOTH are the ones for which I bought the super deluxe versions. Besides loving the albums, they each hold nice personal memories for me so I wanted to get my head "into" the albums and their time period of release much as possible...the books go a long way in doing that in conjunction with the music. HOTH is also a very beautiful box, color-wise.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  23. Having bought several different copies over the years, many different pressing plants were used. From the original releases in 1973, I like those pressed by Columbia, Terra Haute the best with Southern Plastics a close second. For 1974, the LP was issued again and pressed by Specialty, which is an excellent pressing. With the 2014 re-issues, the Pallas pressings are the definitive ones, with less surface noise pushing them over the top.

24. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

I got the 2 CD deluxe set. I love the instrumental version of The Song Remains The Same on the 2nd disc. Never much cared for the speeded up vocals on the original.

25. michalcc

michalcc Member

I bought no recent remaster of "Houses of the Holy". I am now listening to the mastering by Barry Diament and I am impressed by how good it sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.