POLL: Which MQA Decoding Do You Use With TIDAL?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiomixer, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

24/48: No Decoding
    24/96: Software Decoding Through Tidal
    24/192: Decoding Through An MQA DAC

I am getting 24/96: Software Decoding Through Tidal which is fine for me right now without investing in a new DAC or Roon.

(And please, if you don't use or care about MQA or Tidal, don't post or comment here.
    We already know how you feel.)

NO THREAD CRAPPING.

Thank you.

ceddy10165 and SoundDoctor like this.
  2. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

When I listen to MQA I usually select the 48kHz 24bit MQA 96kHz. In fact when listening to full hi-res I also select the 96 or 88.1 instead of 192. I haven't seen any listed as 48-24-48, although I do have one I purchased from OnkyoMuisc that is 44.1-16-44.1.

I don't really notice any improvement from the larger file. From my understanding of what MQA is actually doing, I don't know why the larger file would improve anything.

Honestly even in full hires I don't imagine there is much to be gained after 48-24 and certainly nothing after 96-24; I am sure others will disagree and insist they can feel the ghostly presence of sound far beyond human perception. :hide:

3. audiomixer

Thank you for your informed response.

Coricama likes this.
  4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’ll be interested to see how many people weigh in on this poll, but I’d also be curious to hear about the various rationales for choosing one of these options over the others. And are these three the only MQA listening settings on Tidal?

Also a bit mystified how the 24/48 No Decoding is an MQA listening mode, rather than simply being plain vanilla non-MQA 24/48 PCM. Are there any putative advantages or disadvantages to listening to MQA files without any decoding?

Kyhl likes this.
  5. Samoyed

Samoyed Well-Known Member

I have a Nuprime Evolution DAC, which fully unfolds and authenticates MQA. I love MQA, and Tidal.

6. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

Sennheiser Momentum 2 headphones, PC-Realtek Dynaudio chipset.

Listening to Jeff Beck (Non Mastered), the snare sound image seems to stay at the same volume and impact moving through the different 24 bit levels. I prefer the 24/9600hz since it sounds like the treble and bass balance quite nicely with the non moving snare presentation.
    TIDAL Browse - High Fidelity Music Streaming

With more bass in a track on a Mastered I prefer 24/192000 hz.
    30'000 Days
    Carnival

7. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I have no MQA decoding devices and never will - so it's plain PCM for me and it sounds just fine.

8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I use my LG V30 smartphone for Tidal full 24/192 decoding.

9. I really can´t vote because I really don´t know how it works for me, I´d like to know though. I run TIDAL with a MACBOOK PRO and I plug it via usb to an OPPO 105, and from the OPPO, RCA cable to my amp. I asume computer is decoding to PCM in high resolution and then sending the PCM data to the OPPO DAC?
    I really like the sound I get this way and I think it´s superior to CDs, but like I said, I really don´t know how it´s works, I think my DAC is not capable of decoding MQA, or is it?

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

My Auralic Fenton is using “unofficial” algorithm to unfold MQA into 24/96 or 24/192. And then sends it to DAC. Dunno what it means. Sounds good to my ears, but perhaps not as good as native 24/192. May be artifact of my equipment. Or placebo.

11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I use a Bluesound Node 2i for Tidal. The Node will natively unfold the full 24/192 file through the analog outs, but I find it sounds better coax out to my PS Audio dac at 24/96. That said, I'm on a 30 day free trial of Qobuz, and find it to sound better, so I'm probably gonna switch...

12. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Node 2i and AQ DragonFly Red for portable.

13. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I got a Pre Box S2 Digital back from warranty recently, I use it to completely unfold the file to 24/192 (on music that supports it of course).

14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

So, I'm confused.

When folks say they are listening to MQA 'unfolded' - what about the 'secret sauce' which is the post unfolding filtering/deblurring?

Isn't MQA two parts: 1)unfolding; partial or full, 2)filtering/deblurring; which is where the real MQA "magic" is supposed to be?

Unfolding only ain't the whole enchilada, right?

Kyhl likes this.
  15. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

I guarantee the 3 year old sound card in my laptop has no MQA secret sauce and it sounds pretty good. Does Tidal provide any of this magic before it hits the my desktop?

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have been using Tidal via Roon then to my Oppo UDP-205 endpoint. Since the Oppo can’t do the second unfolding from Roon’s first unfolding, I am stuck at the first unfolding. I think I will start my free trial of Qobuz this weekend so that I can compare the MQA tracks I like with the Hi-Res offerings on Qobuz. My New Years resolution was to get my ripped CD library sorted once and for all, and I am excited because it is only March and I am so close to my resolution!

17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

No. Only an MQA licensed DAC can apply the 'secret sauce'.

Kyhl likes this.
  18. audiomixer

19. audiomixer

I'm finding quite a few of the listed "Hi-Fi" titles streaming at 24/96.
    Listened to Bowie's "Let's Dance" at that sampling rate; the latest remaster, and I was dumbfounded by his vocal presence.
    Right there in between your speakers. :D

ceddy10165 and Fruff76 like this.
  20. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I played that on Tidal through my Pre Box and I didn't see it streaming at 24/96.

21. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

And I listened to the same thing on my A&K A&norma SR15 through headphones and was dumbfounded by the unnecessary (IMO) ridiculous compression!

As for the poll, I voted 192/24 as A&K devices now support MQA with the recent firmware updates.

22. audiomixer

I didn’t hear the compression.

23. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I didn’t hear ridiculous compression either. I A/B’d the 24/96 MQA from Tidal and the 24/96 offering on Qobuz and found them very similar. They are both louder than the 16/44 version on Qobuz but all were a bit clearer than my early EMI America CD. So I guess I A/B/C/D’d a few tracks (Modern Love, China Girl, and Criminal World). Perhaps it is possible compression of the remasters that you don’t care for? I like the modern sound of the remaster, but I don’t know if I will upgrade my original CD.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Kyhl and audiomixer like this.
  24. audiomixer

^^THIS^^

25. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

To me, the dynamics seemed a bit squashed. The 2018 didn’t have the dynamic punch of the single edit of the title track on the “Nothing Has Changed” compilation from 2014, but I digress.

Kristofa and audiomixer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.