Poll: Which "Paul McCartney Archive Collection" deluxe boxes did you buy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

From the UK and just a fool who buys anything! :D

Glenn Christense likes this.
  2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

If you need them in the WORST way then get the 1993 remasters. :D

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

OK, thanks! :laugh:

OobuJoobu likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Gotta love the bonus tracks on it though!

5. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Really? Wasn't deluxe implied ?

6. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Wings Over America
    Venus and Mars

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

None of the boxes, just the deluxe/expanded CD editions.

8. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Just harmless banter. :oops:

9. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

10. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Sorry...it went completely over my head ! 'WORST'....:biglaugh:

edenofflowers likes this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Well said... the '93 versions (still circulating on streaming services, in most cases, for the non-Archive albums) are audio trash — shrill EQ and NoNoised to death. Even the generic mass market Capitol 1980s CD issues beat them handily — they should be replaced with THOSE on the market if they can't do satisfactory 24bit unlimited versions from the original tapes

12. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Bought the deluxe/expanded CD versions of all but "Wings at the Speed of Sound" & "McCartney II". I also got the mono "Ram" vinyl and vinyl editions of "Tug of War" and "Pipes of Peace".

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

So far:
    Ram
    Venus And Mars
    Tug Of War

Next up:
    McCartney
    McCartney II

Coming Soon:
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Pipes Of Peace
    Band On The Run

14. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

All of them.

15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Same.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Renato975

Renato975 Forum Resident

All of them, of course! :)

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I have held off on Flowers mostly because of the price. And the downloading just adds to my "not quite as interested as I could be". [I do plan on getting this one eventually. But since it's on Capitol, it will likely be longer before it goes out of print which reduces my purchasing urgency, and hopefully there will be a decent price drop at some point...]

I have held off on Wings Over America because I picked up the Best Buy edition with the bonus audio disc and I don't see the DVD & books as enough of a value-add to justify the price.
    I have held off on Speed Of Sound because someone gifted me the 2 CD edition and I don't see the DVD & book as enough of a value-add to justify the price.

18. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

They are just too expensive for me, though I did break down and buy RAM.

19. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

So far only McCartney II. But I did replace my beat up vinyl of McCartney, Ram, Venus and Mars, At the Speed of Sound with fresh copies. Also found near mint originals of London Town, Back to the Egg and Tug of War at my local used store for a good price (about $8 apiece). I had never heard them before. I do think Venus and Mars and Ram would look good next to my McCartney II book though. Will probably get them eventually.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What does that have to do with this thread??:cheers:

21. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I wasn't interested at all in them since i was very happy with my DCC discs and I had all the 1993 remasters with bonus tracks. I did on a whim pick up the 2 cd Wings over America. Don't know why, I have the original columbia cd and capitol cd versions. I was mainly curious what the sound was like compared to those.

Fast forward to the announcement of Tug of War and Pipes of Peace and I happened to see "Band on the Run" book on sale somewhere and thought, well what the hell I might check out the nice book and hi res versions. Bought it, read it and downloaded and listened to it in 96/24. Nice. very nice. Rather impressed, I picked up the rest on sale here and there leading up to Tug of War and Pipes of Peace. Picked those up a few months later and preorded the Flowers in the Dirt (which is fantastic)

So I ended up first saying pass, and then bought them all with 3 years or so. They are very nice and the unlimited audio in hi res is fantastic (could have been worse). I will continue to buy them. I do wish they were all book format instead of some being box with multiple books. The "book only" ones seem more approachable when passing by the shelf. With the boxes (RAM, WOA, FLOWERS, POP, TOW), you have to pretty much set them down on a table and figure out what you are looking for.

When they announced the colored vinyl, I enthusiastically snatched them all up (8 total) and when they announced NEW, Chaos, Wings Greatest and Thrillington in color vinyl, I got those too. Lots of fun with all the vinyl. I compared sound and they are identical to the hi-res downloads (first 8).

dav-here and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  22. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great post.

That echoes my experience with them as well. As a McCartney fan to begin with, I knew I'd at least grab "Band On The Run" and "Wings Over America" in their deluxe versions, and perhaps just buy the deluxe vinyl editions for the rest. But I really fell in love with those first two and ended up buying every one via the book/box. Well, I still need "Pipes Of Peace" and "Flowers In The Dirt" but...

They all are so well done and quality-made, and even though they are by no means cheap, I feel they actually offer much more than I would have expected. Especially the multiple books (in many cases), pictures, and liner notes, etc.

While I've already been on record here as saying that the "Wings Over America" and "RAM" sets are arguably the first two I'd hate to give up, I do agree that there is a streamlined appeal about the book sets that I prefer. As you said, they are easier to pull out on a whim and leaf through.

dav-here likes this.
  23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yes, back from SHF retirement to cast a vote..lol

Love the Archive boxes except for the painstaking wait we tend to have with the release schedule.

dav-here and DK Pete like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed...supposedly we only have to wait two months for Those of red Rose Speedway and Wild Life.

25. You should have an option for all of them.

Wingsfan2012 and DK Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.