Poll: Would you buy an Eagles compilation with Henley/Frey/Walsh solo songs included?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattright

mattright Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes - I would buy a 2-disc comp that included selected Henley/Frey/Walsh solo songs mixed in.......

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

maybe if you throw in the schmit, meisner, leadon and felder solo stuff too.

3. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

No thanks.

4. Maybe with some Henley tracks, perhaps one from Joe, but solo Frey would be a deal-breaker

Say It Right likes this.
  5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

No 'Heavy Metal', no sale.

On a side note, is there any thread that takes the 'final Beatles album' game and works it with The Eagles?

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hmmm I did like Randy Meisners first solo album. this is a good idea but the problem is joe walsh. too much stuff to choose from

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, as I already have compilations for the separate members.

I'd rather have some archival live material from The Eagles 72-80

JeffMo, lightbulb and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  8. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I have one already. I put this together a couple of weeks ago, and have it out in my car. Still not tired of it.
    I left off what I considered to be Slow and Easy songs. Pretty much fills up a CD.

1.) How Long
    2.) All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    3.) Take It Easy
    4.) James Dean
    5.) Life In The Fast Lane
    6.) Party Town
    7.) Strange Weather
    8.) Love In The 21st Century
    9.) I've Got Mine
    10.) Before The Ship Goes Down
    11.) Part Of You
    12.) Brave New World
    13.) Livin' Right
    14.) Common Ground
    15.) Smugglers Blues
    16.) You Belong To The City
    17.) Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed

mattright likes this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Henley and Frey have decent full albums, available in audiophile formats too! Frey has a couple of decent solo tracks
    , but his post-Eagles career was mostly underwhelming.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  10. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

That would be along the lines of the Genesis R-Kive 3 disc comp which had some odd solo choices and essential songs missing.

A "definitive" Eagles and solo comp would probably need 5 discs to do it justice which defeats the whole purpose of it.

11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I wouldn't buy an Eagles compilation no matter what was on it. :shh:

12. 905

905 Senior Member

No, but because I have compilations for Henley, Frey and Walsh that I enjoy along with the seven Eagles studio albums... Then again knowing me I better vote Yes because I'd probably buy it anyway.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    gregorya likes this.
  13. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Yes! Maybe I could finally get Who Owns This Place remastered.

maui jim likes this.
  14. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I'm open to the idea in theory, but I'm guessing the Frey songs would be his big hits, which (except for "True Love") I wouldn't want. Never cared for Joe Walsh solo, although I do like some of his James Gang stuff.

So, if I got to choose which songs, absolutely. But given that I wouldn't get to choose, the answer is I almost certainly wouldn't buy it. (No need for an Eagles compilation anyway, when I already have all their albums.)

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think glenn frey's 'strange weather' is one of the most underrated albums of all time

white wolf likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, why not? Sounds like a true "career-spanning" Eagles set that includes solo material would be a great package!

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

"Eagles Flying Solo"
    A 5 Disc compendium of all the best songs recorded by each of The Eagles musicians, even before and after they were members!
    Here is the collection you demanded, all the greatest songs by Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Bernie Leadon, Don Felder, Randy Meisner, and Timothy B Schmidt!
    Plus a special bonus disc of great Shiloh, Longbranch Pennywhistle, Flying Burrito Brothers, The Poor, James Gang and Poco songs!
    ------
    The very nature of being "solo" songs, recorded separately and apart from The Eagles, seems contradictory to assembling a compilation, combining those tracks together.

How about compilations of other bands' solo tracks?
    The Who can release various Townshend, Daltrey, Entwhistle, and Moon tracks as "Who Are We".
    (This is reminiscent of the Beatles threads that fantasize and compile solo tracks as reconstituted Fab Four albums.)

Unless a treasure trove of great demos and out takes are provided, then I can't see the justification nor purpose, any more than just another product to sell the fans.

20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Gather everything the band and any of its members have ever released in a massive box set...

"The Really Long Run"

;)

21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I would not buy a comp with any Eagles content, solo or otherwise.

22. PretzelLogic

Can someone settle this once and for all - was there a Linda Ronstadt album where she had the nascent Eagles as her backing band? And if so, was it Silk Purse (as I've been told once or twice), or something else?

23. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

1. Yes, there is a Linda Ronstadt album which featured Frey, Henley, Meisner and Leadon on it, along with JD Souther and others. The Eagles formed with Linda's blessing after the recording.
    2. No, it is not Silk Purse. It is 1972's self-titled Linda Ronstadt.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It would need to be a 4 or 5 CD set like the CSN box set. 2 CD's would barely scrap the surface covering the solo stuff AND the Eagles.

25. PretzelLogic

Thank you kindly. I listened to Silk Purse but it's very obviously a Nashville sound on that record. If this mythical compilation that the OP was asking about ever comes to life, I'd put a song or two from Linda Ronstadt on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.