Poll: Your Favorite Among the Best Picture Nominees

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I saw "Hidden Figures" last night to cap off seeing all 9 of the nominated films, so I thought a poll might be in order.

It's fairly straight-forward. Just pick your favorite film from among the nominated films that you have seen. The poll is not necessarily about your favorite film or perceived "best" film, so don't fret if that film is not an option (though you still may want to speak about that film in your post). The poll's also not about what film you think will win (although again, feel free to share that perception with us if you so desire).

lbangs and IronWaffle like this.
  2. RayS

My vote goes to "Manchester by the Sea", with the line "I can't beat it" going directly into the iconic movie line hall of fame. But if I had to make a bet with real money, it would be on "La La Land", in large part for the film making craft and innovation involved.

3. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

1. Arrival: I managed to see this entirely unspoiled and enjoyed it quite a bit, aside from one very Hollywood plot machination which, thankfully, wasn't as significant as Interstellar's telegraphed "explanation". As a huge fan of 2001 (and less so Contact) I'm always glad for thinky science fiction, no matter its flaws.
    2. Fences: As a big fan of stage dramas, I'm dying to see this and probably will this week (been holding off for a fellow film buff who keeps finding reasons not to go -- and this is the kind of thing I'll want to discuss afterwards, so a solo show isn't as appealing... but inevitable).
    3. Hacksaw Ridge: Hasn't drawn my interest.
    4. Hell or High Water: This modern western/action/drama was perfectly engineered for me to love. I liked it. In my head canon, the waitress was always abrasive, but her particular saltiness has evolved from from undiagnosed PTSD dating back four decades. Folks, please tip well and don't forget to say thank you and please. Thanks.
    5. Hidden Figures: This was better than I expected with some fine performances but still inherently suffers from "based on a true story reductive shortcut-itis" and "telegraphed inspirational message" that are no doubt better explored in the book now in my queue. Regardless, glad it's out there. In some alternative universe these stories yielded something more like HBO's From Earth to the Moon, allowing breathing room to actually flesh out all three female leads' stories equally and for the historical context to be conveyed with greater complexity.
    6. La La Land: Didn't draw my interest but saw it this weekend. One friend I trust and who is this film's audience found its two halves too tonally uneven. The friend I saw it with loved it and so did I. It's no masterpiece, but I think it has plenty of layers beneath its candy-coating. Unlike Whiplash, this writer-director's other jazz-obsessed film, La La Land's third act feels more earned and its bittersweet coda more organic to the story. Looking forward to adding it to my little UHD shelf. For now just bought two songs (City of Stars [Humming] and Mia & Sebastian's Theme [Celesta]).
    7. Lion: Hasn't drawn my interest.
    8. Manchester by the Sea: Dying to see this. Hopefully this week. Like Fences and Moonlight these I'll have to see on my own and they'd all benefit from discussion.
    9. Moonlight: I look forward to seeing this when it hits home video. Despite his panning of La La Land, I take that friend's word that this is excellent and thought-provoking.
    I'll vote later this week. Knowing myself, Fences and Manchester will be the two that stick the strongest to my brain. I look forward to re-watching Arrival again when time has worn off enough of my memory to not get nitpicky. Someday I'll catch Hell again on cable or in a bargain bin and chomp on its meat and potatoes all over again.

I'm not into predicting, but I suspect La La Land will clean up at the Oscars. It's a prime love letter to itself and, fortunately, I think it's also quite a good, robust one. I also suspect that the "audition" scene will earn Emma Stone the statue (unlike Kevin Costner's "heroic" bathroom sign scene). It's important to know your audience; I'm sure that scene rang particularly true to voters.

Additionally, since 2016 foisted upon us an unhinged "Joker" and a megalomaniacal egoist "Lex Luthor," I think Hollywood is deeply yearning to project optimism. This film will be a little sugar on the pill.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    RayS likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Caveat: I've only seen 5 of the 9, so I have no current opinion on "Fences", "LLL", "Moonlight" or "Lion".

Picked "Arrival". Don't love it - liked it better when it was called "Interstellar" - but think it's reasonably engaging...

RayS likes this.
  5. RayS

Somehow I knew before I even clicked that it would be "Five Easy Pieces". :) I certainly don't know if it is the "best" film, but "Manchester by the Sea" spoke to some of my own life experiences in a way that occasionally teetered on the uncomfortable (in a good way), much as "A Beautiful Mind" did. I almost feel like I need to recuse myself on that film - but since my "vote" doesn't matter, it's my choice. "Hacksaw Ridge" is the only film of the 9 I was reluctant to see, as "Sergeant York" had forever left a bad taste in my mouth for "conscientious objector goes to war" movies (and there are other reasons). But seeing my first opportunity in decades (if not ever) to see all the nominated films before the ceremony, and having a shiny new "unlimited" Movie Pass card in my hand, I said "What the heck". It was better than I thought it would be, for whatever that's worth. I liked the Indian half of "Lion" better than the Australian half - and being a big Bollywood fan I'm beginning to wonder if filmmakers in the rest of the world realize that Dev Patel is not the only actor of Indian ancestry in the world. "Fences" is a stage-bound a film as you'll see in 2016, but the performances (particularly Viola Davis) are well worth it. I didn't get the excitement of "Moonlight" - I found it to be a middling film and was surprised to see it nominated.

6. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I make no claim of being original.;)
    I have a small stack of those films (books, albums, etc.). I suspect Manchester will be on that list. Since seeing Lonergan's debut, You Can Count on Me, he's someone I've followed. Well, tried. This is only his third film and second, the troubled Margaret, is still on my to do list. As to "best" -- I have a hard time applying with certitude what others should love as much as I do. That may stem from living in a world where Harold and Maude makes people cringe and Ikiru needs more samurai.
    There are several reasons I don't want to see this. Your post just put me in the mind to pop in Paths of Glory this weekend.
    I was tempted by this deal but had already seen four with no interest in revisiting them (yet).
    That says a lot, economically.
    Irritating how pop culture's "Other" checkbox rarely has room for more than one person for each variable. I'd like to think that's changing but I'd like to think a lot of other things, too. Even today, Sabu would still have to ride that elephant alone.

Oddly enough, one of my local gigaplexes regularly screens current Bollywood films. It's been two years since I gave a Bollywood movie a try. Can't for the life of me remember its title. It was about a Bollywood actor from the hinterlands who strikes it big. It opens with a grand premier and then flashes back. That film's emotional largesse and episodic swings from intense drama to broad comedy, to action, etc. all sprinkled with song & dance spread over 3+ hours gave me vertigo. And not the platinum Hitchcock kind. I've felt similarly about a few South Korean films. Still, my girlfriend at the time enjoyed it and that goes along way.
    The biggest thing I miss about moving further from DC is the access to its string of theaters around U Street, NW. I've never been bothered by film adaptations of plays and even prefer they remain stagey. I fully appreciate why others don't care for that. Time for me to dusts off some Broadway Theater Archive DVDs.

Whenever I see one of those "Fathom Events" previews for operas, etc. I momentarily entertain an unrealistic (and unprofitable) daydream about their screening a live performance (something new and daring or even something like August Wilson or even Tom Stoppard) I'm amused imagining a black box production of Godot in IMAX or on a Cinerama screen. Anyhow, reality kicks in by the time I get slapped by previews for Keeping Up with the Joneses or worse, Madea instead of Medea.
    I've kept my expectations in check. Like Manchester hits some pivotal personal notes for you, Moonlight strikes some of this friend's, so I look forward to seeing it and (based on some hints he's given) gleaning enough insight into my his life that it should be food for some interesting conversation before veering back into his obsessions with Lord of the Rings and Back to the Future. We only hang out every month or two so I'll probably wait until On Demand or Netflix/Amazon.

RayS likes this.
  7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

8. RayS

IronWaffle said:

That may stem from living in a world where ... Ikiru needs more samurai.

:)
    You earned a legit laugh-out-loud with that one. :)

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

If the snow permits my travels to see Lion (dreading this one) and Moonlight, I'll vote!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs (hoping...)

RayS likes this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Hell or high Water. And it isn't even close. Best movie I've seen in recent memory.

Haven't seen Arrival yet, though.

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

My top seven are all nominees:

1. La La Land
    2. Hell or High Water
    3. Moonlight
    4. Manchester by the Sea
    5. Hacksaw Ridge
    6. Arrival
    7. Hidden Figures

Fences didn't make my top 10, and I haven't seen Lion -- nor do I plan to.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've only seen 4 of the movies and have to go with Hacksaw Ridge.

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Saw Lion, Manchester, and La La Land.
    Lion was good. The other 2 were great.....with one of the saddest scenes in recent memory being towards the end of Manchester when she asks him if she could have lunch with her ex.
    Overally I give a slight edge to La La Land.

RayS likes this.
  14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

How was "Hidden Figures"? The last movie I went to was a toss up between that and "Patriots Day". I chose "Patriots Day" and thought it was very good.

15. RayS

I enjoyed it. If nothing else, I found it to be a positive and uplifting movie that made me feel, at least for 100 minutes, that the world is not such a terrible place. I suspect a lot of the drama was manufactured (vs. the real events), but watching people do math probably does need a little boost.

tonyc likes this.
  16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Moonlight. Just captures the zeitgeist perfectly and the filmmaking is easily the most masterful and innovative of the entire bunch.

A cut below it would be Arrival, La La Land and Manchester by the Sea.

helter likes this.
  17. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Manchester By The Sea for me. Terrific film.

I also enjoyed La La Land and Arrival. Moonlight was a tough watch, but rewarding.

Could not get into Fences at all and Hacksaw Ridge was so-so.

RayS likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

I thought "HF" was perfectly enjoyable but very "safe". It's like every other "inspirational tale" from Disney: uplifting and professional but lacking in real ambition...

RayS likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Watched "Manchester" again on Blu-ray yesterday and changed my mind. It's the best of the 5 I've seen - I liked it more on 2nd screening...

RayS likes this.
  20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Hacksaw Ridge

21. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Silence should have been on that list.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I've only seen "Hacksaw Ridge" and "Manchester by the Sea." Both wonderful films. The acting and meditative nature of Manchester was first-rate, but it was ultimately hollow as it suggested no real alternatives to the misery he suffered. Hacksaw was far more than a war film. It exceeded my expectations, as it probably did with most who saw it. I chose it.

23. RayS

What you didn't like in "Manchester" is precisely the part I liked the best. Sometimes in real life the answer is that there is no answer, IMO.

lbangs and IronWaffle like this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I agree, but that was a lot to sit thru without the movie offering us anything in return.

25. RayS

I certainly won't pester you on this (more than I have already anyway) but that IS what the movie offers in return.

Shades of, perhaps my favorite line in sitcom history, from "MASH".

"Is it true that God answers all prayers?"
    Jesus: "Yes, but sometime the answer is 'no'."

yesstiles and IronWaffle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.