Polytable vs. SUPER 12

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DeadWorks, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadWorks

DeadWorks Active Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I can't seem to PM anyone. This is my first post.
    Anyways, I'm in the market for a new TT and there are 2 members here (LoveLiveAnalog and GKH) that have them.

I want to know the differences between the polytable and the SUPER 12...I emailed George and he replied that there were "several levels of the polytable" (I'm only aware of 2) and that "the only upgrade was the DMD" (what about the fluid damped motor, larger platter, etc.?)

I was wondering if there were specific upgrades that you feel have made more (or less) of a difference, or if you could mix and match those features when purchasing...for example, Is it possible to have the fluid damped motor without the DMD? aaand so forth.

Thanks for your time.

2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

As most know, mine is one of George's first PolyTables. The only upgrade I chose was the SA-750E arm. George moved my existing 2M Bronze cartridge from the RP1 that I traded in towards the PT purchase. I also added the PolyCover & PolyWeight to the purchase. Both mine, and the Super12 include the Wildcat tonearm cable. George and I spoke about upgrade paths for me the day I picked mine up. Upgrading the tonearm cable, adding the digital motor drive, and cartridge. Not really anyplace else for me to go. Oh! Upgrading my phono stage later, perhaps. I'm using the Rega Mini Fono A2D which I purchased when I first got my RP1 about 5 years back. I bought that because the price was right, and I wanted to be able to do needle drops easily. I have yet to do a needle drop, and really doubt that I ever will.
    The new Super12 includes the digital motor drive ($690), the 12 inch Jelco arm, the fluid dampened motor, thicker platter, & fatter polyurethane feet on the legs. Cost of this table is $2,995 w/o cartridge. I have about $2,000 in mine w/o the cartridge. I did listen to the new Super12 at George's shop. But; I didn't get the chance to do an A-B comparison to the standard PT like mine. Besides; George has a $2,500 cartridge installed on the Super12. Not much point to compare.
    I seriously doubt I could ever be happier that I already am. But; I will say this; LongLiveAnalog traded a Rega RP8 in on his Super12, & it was sitting in the Analog Emporium when I was there. Nothing else to add regarding that. :)

I'm not sure if George is offering the Super12 w/o the DMD. I did ask if the fluid dampened motor would fit on my table, and he said it would not. Honestly; I can't imagine I would even know the difference anyway. My PT is quiet, solid as a rock, and very musical. I've said all that before, and it simply holds true. If you're in Nashville, you owe it to yourself to come see George. I think you will be very glad that you did.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    WvL, Long Live Analog and McLover like this.
  3. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Talked to George about this just today.

The base table and arm is $1595.

To get a better arm, the 9" Jelco 750D, is $1795.

To get the 10" version of that Jelco arm with an extended armboard to fit it is $1995.

A kimber cable tonearm cable upgrade is $235.

There's a 12" version but I had no interest in it and so have no details.

Pretty sure I'm ordering the 10" arm version tomorrow, going to sleep on it one more night.

Long Live Analog and GKH like this.
  4. GKH

GKH Senior Member

The 10" Jelco SA-750E is also an oil dampened arm and fully adjustable as George probably mentioned to you.
    Edit to my above post; I believe the pads on the PolyTable feet are sorbothane. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Long Live Analog likes this.
  5. DeadWorks

Thanks for the replies. I just got a Devialet 120 and its telling me to go visit George first thing in 2017...

6. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Ha! We must all be on the same astral plane...I just emailed George yesterday with very similar questions. Here they are, with his replies:

1. Is the new Super 12 available without the digital motor drive? Or is that integral and not optional?
    Super12 only comes with the DMD

2. Is the Fluid Damped Drive Motor System common to all Polytables, or just the Super 12?
    Fluid Damped Motor is only available on the Super12

3. Is there really that much improvement in tracking and/or sound in moving from a 10" to 12" tonearm? Are there any drawbacks to a 12" arm?
    Tracking error distortion is lower. Moment of inertia is slightly higher.

I'm looking closely at the standard Polytable with the 10" tonearm, but wondering if the Super 12 without the digital motor drive would be a better value (if ordering without the DMD is even an option). Thank you in advance. Your turntables look really nice.
    The SA-750E is a excellent choice (less tracking error distortion than the 9 inch). The DMD can be added at a later date. Thank You for the nice comments.

7. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Name a turntable and I'll tell you why I didn't buy it. I'm thinking the 10" Jelco with the upgraded arm cable is a good place to stop.

The refurbished Thorens were #2 on my list.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Anyone know if a speed control box besides the DMD will work on this table?

9. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The Music Direct? The Rega? The Falcon? I seriously doubt it. I wouldn't mind having one to make speed changes easier. But I seem to recall (could be wrong here) George saying they wouldn't work.

10. DeadWorks

Fremer reported good results with the Phoenix.

Thanks riverrat!

11. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I'm lovin' my Super 12 paired with the Ortofon 2M Black:righton:

WvL and GKH like this.
  12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, if it's like the Heirloom -- which is the table I've been using for decades -- the Phoenix Eagle would, not the Falcon. The latter was for lower powered motors than the Merrill-modified Hurst motor used on the Heirloom. But, unfortunately, the Phoenix stuff isn't in production anymore. The other things like the Musical Hall, are for lower powered motors.

13. DeadWorks

A SUPER 12 is on the way.
    I'll be sure to report back and let you know how it sounds.

14. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

My GEM with a 10" Jelco arm s/b here in about 10 days.

I hope my accutrack protractor gets here before the table.

15. Long Live Analog

Congrats and welcome to the club:edthumbs:

Which cartridge and tonearm cable did you get?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    GKH likes this.
  16. GKH

GKH Senior Member

It's nice to see that the PolyTable - both models are getting noticed. ☺

Doc Diego and Long Live Analog like this.
  17. Long Live Analog

I concur...

:edthumbs::righton::cheers:

18. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've got an ongoing dialogue opened up with Jim at Osage Audio about this very question. He speaks very highly of both tables, of course.

He's recommending the Ortofon AS-212s arm over the Jelco 12" arm George uses. Anyone have any input on that? Would either swap over my AT-150MLX/SA Stylus or go for something like an Art 9 or Hana LOMC.

Osage is running a pretty decent deal on the 12 right now, if you also need a cart or preamp in addition to the table.

19. Long Live Analog

Don't have any comparisons between the Ortofon or Jelco. I would say one couldn't go wrong with either. I do like the Hana cartridges though. I've heard the Hana on the Jelco arm and its a sweet inviting sound.

GKH and toddrhodes like this.
  20. DeadWorks

I have a dynavector 10x5 I'm having him put on the table. That said, any cartridge recommendations are welcome.

I'd like to get a cardas clear tonearm cable in the future...

21. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Listening to the Hana High Output on the PolyTable at George's was very excellent! If I ever decide to upgrade from my 2M Bronze, that may very well be what I get. But.... I'm in a good place right now with my HiFi. I really want for nothing. :)

I have a turntable going on 2 years now that is unique, designed and hand-made in America, (like the craft beers I drink), sounds fantastic, & I say again; built rock solid from the ground up. Never, ever, have I questioned anything about it's performance or build.
    I really believe, the PolyTable is a turntable that truly has to be seen in person to truly appreciate. And, wait until you hear it! No; it's not flashy, & all shiny like many tables by the more massed produced companies. For this listener, I know that I made the right decision.
    I know what a lot of people are thinking, too! "Sure Greg; easy for you! You live 30 minutes from George Merrill's Analog Emporium!" That's true. In 1983, I purchased a Grado cartridge from George for my Micro Sekii turntable when he owned his first shop, "Underground Sound". At that time, George Merrill had already been questioning existing turntable design, & working toward making improvements. Many here are familiar with his Heirloom table, a modified AR turntable, & tables he has designed since then leading to where he is today with the PolyTable. You would be very hard-pressed to find and speak to anyone more passionate and knowledgeable about how a turntable works than George Merrill.
    A phone call away.

WvL, McLover, IanL and 1 other person like this.
  22. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Hana Eliptical or Line Contact, @GKH?

I'm confident my next table will be from George, just down to the arm and cart at this point. Oh, and paying for the thing :)

Todd

WvL and Long Live Analog like this.
  23. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Todd: The green one - EH :).
    I traded my Rega RP1, sold a big a$$ telescope :), & saved.. to bankroll my PolyTable. At first; I was going to buy just the PT - $1,495 package, & move my 2M Bronze over to it from the RP1. The more George and I talked, I decided to go all the way and get the SA-750E arm. I don't intend to ever buy another turntable.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Long Live Analog and toddrhodes like this.
  24. Long Live Analog

Excellent choice! Let us know your impressions, congrats and welcome to the George Merrill family of turntables:cheers:

GKH likes this.
  25. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

A comment about George. A few years ago I saw George at "The Show", at the time an inexpensive alternative hi fi show tagging on to CES and supporting smaller manufacturers. By then, "The Show" was on its last legs and pretty forelorn. My friends and I felt sorry for those displaying because not a lot of people were walking through. Nevertheless, I still remember how very nice George was. He was very open and friendly and obviously doing something he loved not just going through the motions for money. Its nice to hear that people love his turntables. In my book he's one of the good guys.

Doc Diego, HiFi Guy, McLover and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.