Polytable vs. SUPER 12

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DeadWorks, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

He's a nice guy and a analog guru. One of the good guys for sure and I concur with GKH's comments. He and I live close to George and it's always a pleasure to visit with him. Like GKH my Super 12 will be with me for a long time until I decide to get his REAL 101.2:cool:

ddarch likes this.
  2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

In March 2015 when I first went to debut the PolyTable it was on a Saturday about 6:00pm. We sat back and he played records on his 101.2 & the PolyTable for us. My buddy and I were there til nearly 7:30 just listening.... pure fun! I'm sure George would have stayed until midnight. He's informative, & fun! He will explain why he does what he does. He doesn't come off as condescending like some audio people. Because, he's not. He's simply a great guy, & enjoys sharing his love of HiFi with others.

Doc Diego and Long Live Analog like this.
  3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I'm such a damn waffler. Half the time I think - regular poly, best 10" Jelco arm, Art9 cart.

Then I'm... wellllll, the 12 is $1k more and gets you the better motor, platter, and digital drive.

This. damn. hobby.

WvL and Long Live Analog like this.
  4. Long Live Analog

Kinda like Hotel California, "you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave"

WvL, ZenMango, McLover and 1 other person like this.
  5. toddrhodes

The worst part is, at the end of the day, I can't make a "wrong" decision. And yet, I ponder.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  6. DeadWorks

DeadWorks Active Member Thread Starter

I had a Gyrodec SE a while back.
    Incredible table...knowing that, knowing what's possible...pushed me towards the 12.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how the Polytable compares.
    GKH and LongLiveAnalog should get together and compare tables. George should put you both on commission. Thanks for all the input.

GKH and Long Live Analog like this.
  7. toddrhodes

I've just placed my order for the Super12, a Hana EH cartridge, and three Ortofon EH-4000 headshells. One for the Hana, one for my AT-150MLX, and the other for a Denon DL-103. I stuck with the standard 12" Jelco tonearm. Talking with Jim at Osage (what a wonderful guy he is!), we both agreed the amount of extra cash to fit the Ortofon arm just wasn't reasonable for any hopeful, modest improvement. He's running a special right now where if you buy a Super12 you get $500 in store credit so the Hana EH was free.

He also cut me a great deal on Kimber Kable TAK-cu tonearm wiring so this should be a pretty darn good setup, all things considered.

I'll be able to swap my AT-150 over and I'm retaining my iPhono V2 so I will essentially be able to hear the difference the arm and table make in how my system sounds.

Should have it in a week or a little over. Can't wait.

IanL and Long Live Analog like this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

That does sound nice. So what do you all have these tables setting on? They have no suspension, right, or are the feet absorbing? Do you have to be careful with siting, or do you have a pretty stable and vibration-free setup?

9. toddrhodes

Hi Davey, I'm using a DIY wall shelf. A picture from a few seconds ago:

[​IMG]

I can describe in more detail if you like. That platform has supported a Classic 2 at one point so it has plenty of strength, thankfully. Even with two 12" SBS subs in one corner, I have only heard the arm resonate once and it was not a realistic scenario. It works really well considering it cost me about $50 and an hour to put it together :)

Seafinch, Long Live Analog and Davey like this.
  10. Long Live Analog

toddrhodes, Welcome to the George Merrill Super 12 family you're gonna love it:righton:

Great move with the headshells and different cartridges. The Hana swings with the Jelco 12" arm.

Keep us updated on the progress.

GKH and toddrhodes like this.
  11. DeadWorks

You are gonna love this table...review forthcoming...let's just say I've been to busy LISTENING...

GKH and Long Live Analog like this.
  12. Long Live Analog

Glad you're enjoying the deck, looking forward to your review. Meanwhile keep spinning the wax:righton:

:cheers:

GKH likes this.
  13. toddrhodes

Working on procuring a few different ways to work out the new Super12.

Slayer and Miles Davis 45 RPM. That'll do.

WvL and Long Live Analog like this.
  14. Long Live Analog

Play Loud!

WvL and toddrhodes like this.
  15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

My Polytable with a 10" Jelco s/b here Thursday.

If I want to post pics I'll have to find a photo hosting site. Any recommendations?

GKH, Long Live Analog and Seafinch like this.
  16. toddrhodes

imgur or Photobucket. I prefer the latter because it uploads camera phone pics immediately, free storage, and if you browse to a picture in your library that you want to share on a forum, just click into a box on the right of your image labeled "IMG" and it'll automatically copy the exact text you need to paste into a reply to show and share the image.

Edit - forgot tinypic, it's very good as well.

17. gov

gov Forum Resident

How do you compare the two? Sound signature etc. What arm did you hae on the Gyro? Both are on my short list of tables to audition.

18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Photo test - what I see when I listen to my system:

[​IMG]

19. GKH

GKH Senior Member

:) Only fair comparison is if we were using the same cartridge. I'm using the 2M Bronze. LongLiveAnalog is using the 2M Black.
    I'm good! I know that I've bought my final table, & possibly, my final cartridge.
    Of course, since our arms do have detachable head shells.....
    Could be fun! Pricing; the difference between mine and Super12 would be about $1,400 (with the Bronze vs. Black).

YMMV

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Long Live Analog likes this.
  20. Long Live Analog

Man's best friend:cool:

21. DeadWorks

I took out my new setup to host a pop-up vinyl bar on Monday...it went well and the Polytable was a major factor of its success.

Aesthetically, I was surprised how many people were impressed by the Polytable's looks.
    Sonically, realistically, I can only say I'm incredibly satisfied...I can't see myself buying another table, probably/maybe ever.

Reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt...
    George said the table would "blow away" the Gyrodec SE...and it indeed betters that table in many respects.
    I had one with an Incognito wired RB-300 and a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood.
    It was an excellent table, and apparently there are mods out there if you're interested.

Both are great tables, and its hard to compare different systems over such a long span of time, but I have to say the DMD is the true game changer...
    Pitch on (piano) fades and sustains are noticeably free of wow and flutter. Super stable stereo image with plenty of rhythm and drive.

I feel like the 12" tonearm really helps the inner grooves sound as good as the outer grooves...table is easy to setup and is very low maintenance, (much easier than the Michell).
    Moreover, the table sounds completely different depending what record you put on the platter...I am concluding from this that the Polytable is an incredibly neutral table. Also, it is extremely quiet...George's RCC bonded platter/polyweight is a solid static-free platform for getting the most out of your records.

I'm not finding anything really negative to say about it, (maybe more depth?)...If the Polytable doesn't do it for you, you're probably in another income bracket.

Tlay and Long Live Analog like this.
  22. Long Live Analog

Glad you're enjoying your new deck. As I said before welcome to the George Merrill Family of turntables:cheers:

Fwiw it only gets better the more you play it:righton:

23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Pictures?

24. toddrhodes

Mine arrived today. Running the same preamp and cart so the only differences are - tonearm wiring, tonearm, and table/motor/motor drive.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it "pretty?" No, not especially. Even with no breakin, literally right off the truck, set up, and aligned using a vinyl engine protractor... I can say this table is far, far beyond what I got used to with the Music Hall. It's also quieter, by a long ways, than my old VPI Classic 2. It makes no noise of it's own. No motor noise, no rumble, no "whir," it is absolutely black/transparent.

That's the most noticeable quality. I'll withhold comment on the rest of the experience but starting out, it's extremely impressive.

25. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Cool, thanks for the pics. It is kinda ugly, that would be my only reservation, but that's only in the eye of the beholder, some don't think that at all, and it does seem like he knows his stuff, and how to make a very quiet table. Congrats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.