Polyvinylalcohol

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hubert jan, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident Thread Starter

The woodglue method of cleaning records is imo wrong.
    The real stuff is PV-alcohol dissolved in a 10 to 20% isopropylalcohol/water solution to make a syrupy solution.
    It dry's to form an elastic firm coating, easy removable from the record in one piece.

Woodglue is stickey and too brittle.
    Anyone experience in this matter ? (Wynill, record revirginizer, Nagaoka cleaner way too expensive)

Gumboo likes this.
  2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Have you actually tried it? There are different formulations of wood glue out there of course from brand to brand, and even within the same brand. Titebond II seems to be time tested and perfectly effective for most that have used this method.

In what way exactly would you be looking to improve on that?

3. Hubert jan

Woodglue is PolyvinylACETATE. It is stickey and brittle, cleaning records awfull business.
    PolyvinylALCOHOL is elastic, non stickey and very strong, the film you remove doesn'r break ot tear.
    My old Nagaoka stuff, now almost used up is also made with PValcohol and smells like Isopropylalcohol.
    That what the question is about: did anybody make recordcleaner with PVAlcohol, tip ? for additives, % of isopropylalcohol.
    Ready made PVALC solution available but much more expensive than buying the powder itself. Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) - 1 kg: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Thorensman and Gumboo like this.
  4. Hubert jan

See this video:

tin ears and Gumboo like this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yup tried both methods. I've used wood glue and the Record Revirginizer product.

Wood glue isn't really that brittle. It's quite rubbery and not that hard to remove in one piece. I managed it on my first try.

However, Record Revirginizer is much easier to use, both in terms of getting it on the record and removing it, so that would be my preference if I had to pick one. That, to me is it's biggest advantage; ease of use.

Neither solution did much to convince me that either of them were better than a good old RCM clean, but I'm still experimenting.

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That looks real nice.
    Where could this be obtained in the US for my testing?
    At Grainger it is special order and special shipping and $540.00 for a 250g bottle, and I can't even tell what percentage it is.
    This seems to be the dissolvable stuff that Tide Pods and the like use to hold their actual detergents, and similar uses.

Retail wood glue does work, and it's $2.98 for 4 fluid ounces, less per ounce in a bigger bottle.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  7. Hubert jan

At Grainger it is special order and special shipping and $540.00 for a 250g bottle
    Now that is a scam, did you mean 5.40 Dollar ?

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

$540.00 for 250g
    SPECTRUM Polyvinyl Alch,USP,250 g - 6RFV8|P1180-250GM - Grainger

That's all I found at first. I now see this one, 25g for $31.80
    TCI AMERICAS TCI 9002-89-5 - 20FM36|P0804-25G - Grainger

I can't tell if either is exactly the same thing as what you showed, but these are the only ones I can find for purchase anywhere.

Grainger is an industrial supply company, and has full list prices on their website. Commercial business accounts get some percentage off with quantity orders, probably 20-25%. But individuals like me can buy, even one piece, at the list price.

9. Hubert jan

Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) - 1 kg: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    PVAlcohol is a cheap chemical used for millions of purposes. Search internet. Also basic stuff to make the toy "slime" with borax. Could be that expensive stuff is for making eyedrops ?, injections ? Pharmaceutical grad more expensive but 25 g for 31.80 dollar also baloony.

10. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Reg Williamson published an article in Audio Amateur in the early 1980s detailing a homebrew version of what I gather from a few minutes Googling is now sold as Revirginizer. I have a copy of the article in a box a thousands miles away, but I'll bet more intensive Googling would dig it up. Audio Amateur used to sell it mail order when they were still around as Old Colony Labs. All the ingredients seem to be common/available except maybe Cyastat

==========
    Reg Williamson Record Cleaner

The following is the recipe using 2 oz of Dupont Elvanol.

Distilled Water (initially) 1.5 cups (400 cc or ml)
    Elvanol 2 oz (.25 cup or 56 gm)
    Glycerin 2 tsp (8.5 cc)
    Kodak Photo-Flo 200 3-4 drops
    Alcohol 3 1/3 tbsp (11tsp or 50 ml)
    CYASTAT SN 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml)

1 teaspoon (tsp) = 5 ml (actually 4.929 but close enough)
    1 Tablespoon (tbsp) = 15 ml (ml = cc)
    ===========================

But you'd really want to read the article, which as I remember suggested Vodka in place of the alcohol above, and more importantly had usage notes. I never tried it myself.

12. Hubert jan

ELVANOL IS ANOTHER NAME FOR PVALCOHOL.
    Slime or Putty is a home brew derivative, is a toy, not usable, dries hard.
    PVAlcohol very cheap, many sellers sell it as somethig very special taking advantage of people not knowing chemistry.
    Previous answer good from R Totale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.