PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Is song #1 showing up at the bottom of the folder on the PonoPlayer or in the PonoMusic World application?

The views in PonoMusic World can all have custom sort settings. The default sort should have all tracks listed in the correct order. If that sort setting has been altered it can be changed back. PonoMusic World is very flexible and configurable. Perhaps too flexible and configurable.

2. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

On the PonoPlayer, and only on albums I just added. Since I usually listen to music on shuffle, I haven't tried anything to fix it (like using 001, or (01), etc.).

3. Ham Sandwich

That's weird. I wonder what the PonoPlayer is sorting the tracks by? I'd assume it would be sorting based on the track number tag. Maybe your track numbers are tagged in a way the PonoPlayer doesn't know how to deal with. They are making fixes in each firmware update on the player. If you can figure out what is causing the problem you can let the Pono folks know so they can make a fix. Or just send them an album worth of files that sort incorrectly and they can dig around to figure out what's going on. The player is a little quirky. I expect it to get better with each firmware update.

rburly likes this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I've never had an issue with the track listing on my PonoPlayer. The first track always plays first, the second is second, etc. I can see "Shuffle" creating a play issue, but not otherwise.

5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Sounds like a metadata issue for sure...

6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Have you tried using a touch screen stylus? I don't own a Pono, but I have had devices with wonky touch screens and a stylus seemed to help.

7. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

The screen is small and it has a hard time differentiating between a tap to open a folder and swipe to scroll up or down, unless you take it really slowly. A stylus doesn't help, or at least it didn't for me.

8. gregorya

Ah, too bad... Have you tried a fine point stylus? Supposedly more accurate but not cheap.

9. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Well sure, how else would you know you are listening to a high-res file?

[​IMG]

10. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

It's metadata related, most likely. I've had this and similar things happen on the player (I don't really use the store), but I have always been able to correct/change to metadata to sort songs/albums the way I wish.
    [disclaimer...I don't use the app other than for downloading from the store and firmware updates...I 'sideload' all my music, but have been able to orgazine tracks the way I wish every time by this methodology]

I use the dbPoweramp 'Edit ID-Tag' option to fix metadata. This is accessed by right clicking on a track and select the menu option (I have the paid version of dbPowerAmp....not sure if this is on the free version). Make sure 'Disc' 'Play Gap', and 'Track' are all consistent for all tracks (for 'Track', make sure song 1 is 1/10 (if there are 10 tracks, or just 1, make sure track 2 is 2/10 or just 2, but don't mix and match. Same for 'Disc' all should be '1' or '1/1' for disc 1...don't mix and match. Play Gap should always be '1'. If it is '0' (or not present), I believe gapless will not work for that track.

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Whoa, hi-res skeptic humor....

I've heard about it, but never seen it before. Cool.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Here's some more...

[​IMG]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

Bill Walton has been pimpin' the Pono on his last two college basketball telecasts. "The loader you play it, the better it sounds!".

14. gregorya

"The smoker you drink, the PONO player you get"... :)

Steel Horse likes this.
  15. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

I have not described all that has happened that might have caused this issue, but your interest compels me to do so.
    Here's the full story. My experience with various music software (where some would correctly read the metadata, and others would not, thus listing the music by any number of methods) led me to change the file names of all my music to artist, album, track number, track name: George Thorogood & the Destroyers - Bad to the Bone - 01 - Back to Wentzville.
    Because of the small PonoPlayer window, I couldn't see the names of the songs in those instances when I wanted to play just certain songs.
    My solution was to remove the SD card, and rename the songs in the album folders to: 01-Back to Wentzville; which is how the songs are listed in the albums I bought from PonoWorld Music.
    After rescanning my library, the PonoPlayer lists songs 01 at the bottom of all of the albums I changed.
    All of the albums I did not change are listed properly.
    Today, I'm going to try and trick the system by changing the 01s again.

16. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

So has anyone tried it with DSD files yet?

I'd love to find a way to rip my SACDs without having to do the PS3 insanity route.

17. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Good to hear. I wonder if he has the HD Tracks Dead studio album collection on his Pono.
    He certainly seems to be a big music fan. I saw Bill Walton at a Bob Dylan show at the House of Blues in Atlanta (now called the Tabernacle) the night of the closing ceremonies of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. He certainly looked to be having a great time (as was I).

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I have one album that's DSD, but I forget which one it is. It's on my PonoPlayer, but I'll have to look and see which one it is. I watched as I transferred the album to my player. Under "Details", I watched the player do some type of conversion before loading them on the PonoPlayer. I'll look for it tom=night or tomorrow. The thing is that all my hi res albums sound great, but I'll look for it. I can tell you I've not had any problems playing any of my hi res stuff either. So, if you just want to know how it sounds, it sounds great!

19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I have David Elias' "The Window" in DSD on my Pono Player, and it sounds amazing. It was recorded natively in DSD, and it's about the closest to "in the studio" as I have ever heard on any recording. In general, DSD sounds a bit more relaxed and lifelike, much like good vinyl. (By the way, the Oppo website has three sample DSD tracks by David Elias for free download - all Pono owners should download these to get an idea of what DSD sounds like. They also have FLAC and mp3 versions, so you can download the three and see the differences.)

Brando4905 likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW, it's really not that difficult...and I am far from being "tech savvy". I've now got my entire collection of 400+ SACDs ripped and I'm listening to them far more now.

The hardest part may have been tracking down a correct version of the PS3.

Metralla likes this.
  21. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to access the SD card properly? I'm interfacing using a Mac, and it looked like i had the SD mounted properly in PonoMusicWorld 20 and was able to transfer music to the SD card, but once I ejected the Pono it showed as 0 of 60 GB used when I looked at settings on the Pono. Thoughts?

22. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

From what I've read you're better off skipping the Pono software.Mount it as an external hard drive.

23. Ham Sandwich

The PonoMusic World software works. It's basically the same JRiver software that I've been using for 10 years. The software works. It's just different than iTunes. Does things differently. A somewhat different mindset in how it operates and how you access configuration features.

For any music manager and player software like this you need to learn how it works. Even with iTunes you have to learn how it works and adapt to the way the software works rather than how you want it to work.

superstar19 likes this.
  24. Ham Sandwich

What firmware version are you running on the PonoPlayer? The latest one is v1.0.5 and fixed some problems.

I'd try powering the PonoPlayer off fully and rebooting it. The first scan through the library may take a long time. The scan that happened after I upgraded to v1.0.5 took a long time. Let the scan finish.

25. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Have to disagree here. I rely heavily on DR values. Helps me quickly sift through multiple CD copies of the same title, plus I enjoy comparing different digital versions. Also, I occasionally find one that's a bit louder but has a higher DR value (Only to a point though... Usually, the quieter one is the more-dynamic in the case of my collection). But mainly it's just a quick, easy way for me to weed out the non-hackers. When the remaster pulls a DR score of 9 and the older version scores a 13, you know something's wrong there. First off, I DESPISE mastering compression. The way I see it, let your stereo system do the heavy lifting, not the CD. That's just insane. Some CD's are just totally out of control, but the DR meter helps speed up the process of honing in on the best pressings. Also, I use it for comparing vinyl rips to CD's, SACD's, etc. An invaluable tool for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.