PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

And I just ordered two. Thank you!

Dino likes this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Is everyone using a 200 gig card finding it performs the same as say a 128 gig? Are there any problems using a larger card to consider?

3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I've got a 200GB Sandisk card in there, practically filled to the brim, and it performs like an absolute champ. You shouldn't have any reservations whatsoever about buying one if you are getting sick of swapping cards...enjoy!

Dino and bmoregnr like this.
  4. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I finally got around to ordering a better quality cable to connect the Pono to my stereo amp. I went with the AudioQuest Evergreen mini-to-RCA .6m* cable.

So glad I ordered this cable!!!! I've tried a few mini to RCA cables with varying success -- including a Monster branded one, which was the worst of the lot. The cable I had previously settled on sounded good, but I was always thinking my Pono should sound a little better than I was experiencing.

Once I plugged in the AQ Evergreen cable - it was night and day. Both lossless CD rips and 24/96 music from the Pono now sounds AMAZING through the Yamaha amp. My hunch was correct - a quality cable is an extremely crucial link in this chain.

I suggest anyone playing their Pono on their stereo to invest is a good quality cable!

*btw, the .6 meter length is pretty short if the RCA connects to the back of the amp, but I set the Pono right on top of the amp so it's a perfect length for me. The 1 meter version would probably be a better option for most other situations.

kBear, Ivand and jfeldt like this.
  5. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Isn't that a lot of heat under the Pono?

6. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I've kept up with this thread, but I don't think I've ever seen a comparison against the Fiio X3 v2 or X5 v2. Does anyone have personal experience with both either of those and the Pono? I would appreciate hearing comparisons of the sound quality and usability.

Garish likes this.
  7. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

It was concern at first, but nope - the top of the Yamaha is cool to the touch, even after hours of rockin'.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  8. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Probably no sound difference either, assuming the same music files.

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

How do I drill down to see song information again. Can't find it anywhere.

10. htom

htom Senior Member

Tap screen twice.

bmoregnr likes this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Thanks!

12. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

13. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

How long is the battery supposed to run vs. actual performance? Thanks

14. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

First off, I probably pulled mine a little early so my "bar" does not go all the way across.

Two things that effect play are whether you are playing hi Rez or CD or lower Rez and whether or not you are in balanced mode.

I have probably got 5 hours max out of mine, playing no hi Rez files and not in balanced mode.

Ivand likes this.
  15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

That's terrible battery life, even by the Pono's admittedly poor standard. Using the line out, playing only hi-res files I get more than 5 hours. May want to send yours back.

16. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I'm getting similar battery life (~5 hrs) playing mostly ALAC files. Will consider sending it back. Battery life is important for me. I travel frequently, long flights. Love the sound though.

17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Well it was partly my fault for pulling it from the initial charge early. Are you getting seven hours? 8? If it's 11 I will think about sending it back in, an hour or two I would much rather have it then not have it for a couple of weeks ;) Pono withdrawel (shudder).

18. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I get about five hours playing 24/96 in balanced mode.

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Battery time depends on the headphones you are using. Some headphones will drain the battery faster than others. Play time will be in the 5 hour range with some power hungry headphones.

The green battery strength bar never goes the full width of the display, even at full charge. There is always just a little bit to the right where the green bar could extend further, but never does. If that is what you are seeing your PonoPlayer is fine and is getting a full charge.

LEONPROFF and Dino like this.
  20. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I fully charged my Pono this morning and then I plugged it to my amp (random songs). Battery died at 5 hours 10 seconds. Is this acceptable? Will contact Pono to get an idea of expected battery life.

21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have never timed my battery life but I would not be surprised if it is in the five hour range. I have become accustomed to recharging it first and asking questions later.

On a more positive note I just found that scrolling through songs within an album by grabbing near the song timings to the right vastly avoids accidentally starting a song. When scrolling through artists the fast scroll <|> looking thing works very well but that feature is more difficult to operate within an album.

It still sounds damn good which continues to be my main takeaway.

Agitater, LEONPROFF, Geir and 2 others like this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I don't know what a typical run time is when using the line out to an amp. I always use it with headphones, and don't really keep track of how long it runs for.

If you have the display set to stay on the run time will be less. The settings for that are under "Sleep & Lock".

Dino likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sadly that is about what I typically get, mostly playing ALAC files.

Love the SQ of the player, but not wild about battery life.

24. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I usually get around 6+ hours running random song selection (hires & cd) and not using the screen at all. I run line-out fixed to a Fiio E12 (which gets 3 times the battery life, easily).

25. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I'm facing problems with the harddrive of my pono. Copying music became impossible, so only could use my sd-card.
    Loading library could take sometimes almost an hour, for just adding 1 album. I'm done with it.

Got an Astell & Kern Jr. last week, and sound much better. No irritating problems either. Decent artwork.

Pono is still not active in Europe either.

People with e.g. Arcade Fire-player got cd-quality files, and are still waiting for the hi-res versions...

Indie labels are still ignored for the most part.

I do understand now, why some people left Pono before it was actually released ... It's a shinking ship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.