PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Do Ponos have firmware updates? I have an iBassoDX50 that can act weird on occasion, I go to the website and there will magically be a new firmware; I upload and it's fixed

2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Yes. No idea when there will be another one, and not even sure the powers that be at Pono know when they'll be able to release another one.

beercanchicken likes this.
  3. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Sadly, seems to be a common theme in the DAP community.

4. D10S

D10S New Member

Things are leading me to believe the problem is related to the cache in the PONO.

First each card that needs to send the PONO into scanning mode becomes an issue. The one card that does not causes no issue.

Second, I have deleted files from the PONO and the once good card. After deleting them I always make sure to empty the trash on mac before ejecting the player and card. Afterwards the player shows that the album file still is on the player and card, but they don't play. If I plug back into the Mac via the PONO or even just the card in the reader slot it shows that files do not exist on the card or player.

So is the players cache not clearing properly and is seeing files that have been deleted. Ghost files if you want to call them that.

The only thing I don't get is the newly formatted 200gb card with no files on it. Should that one need to scan if there are no files on it? Shouldn't it just load up?

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

First my pono scans every time I turn it on; if I have not made any changes it doesn’t scan long, but it scans. I don’t change cards with it on so I would not know what that does; however more to your point I believe the Pono scans every new thing even to determine if no changes have been made, hence a shorter scan time as no changes have to be made to the cache. Maybe try changing the cards with it off if you are not already; then when you turn it on it may scan properly; just a guess. Your ghost file theory does seem like a cache not clearing or updating issue. Other than running through 4 cards however I am not sure what else you could do.

Is your internal drive packed to the gills? I have zero evidence of this, but I wonder if issues get caused if that is stuffed too much; yet another guess.

6. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I never change cards with it on. Not that your post is aimed at me but my internal cache and my cards are filled to the brim.

BGLeduc and bmoregnr like this.
  7. D10S

D10S New Member

The PONO was fairly full, but I did even delete some files when these issues began to see it it helped.

I usually only change cards when the player is off or in sleep mode.
    However I have changed cards when it was on during this time I've had issues when the screen went black.

8. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

I asked Pono support a few weeks ago if the Pono player supports the higher-capacity Micro SD cards. I was told that cards up to 256g are supported.
    That said, the 200g SanDisk card is wonky in my player--seems confused by the images every time I start it up, and it only scrolls through the lists very, very slowly. It's not uplayable. It still sounds great. But it's a pain to navigate, and it wasn't always like that.

9. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Neil Young
    (PonoMusic)

Hi everyone, Thanks for all of your suggestions for PonoMuscVault BETA. You have been very helpful. It is going to be a great addition to our ecosystem. BETA is about identifying and solving issues.

In addition, at Pono we are working super hard on getting our new streaming service up and going. I look forward to telling you more as we get closer to launch. Thanks for your continued interest and support during this period of our evolution. I feel very optimistic about the future of Pono both in streaming and downloads. This period of time Is filled with hard work on my end, and engineering particularly at Pono, with our engineers focused on success as we prepare our revolutionary streaming service. We are proud to be creating a streaming service that lives up to our goals and aspirations for music. Our record company partners agree and are sharing our enthusiasm. I love talking to music people. They care deeply about the art of recorded music, as I do.

Thanks for listening!

Neil

10. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Randy Leasure (PonoMusic)
    Aloha! We are pleased to release the latest Beta version of PonoMusic Vault that addresses many of the issues that you have been experiencing.

We truly appreciate the feedback and support we've been getting from community members and users, as we work to make PonoMusic Vault the best experience possible. We are a small dedicated team here at PonoMusic and know that some of these initial issues have been frustrating and are grateful for your patience as we work through them.

Updates include:

•Unidentified publisher messaging

•Login issue

•Support for DAC

•Importing from a network drive

•Issues importing music into your library

•Text truncated on artists library

•Playlists issues

•CD ripping for Windows

•App crashes after saving tag changes to WAV file

•All files on newly scanned drive do not appear in music library

•Playlists are empty after copying playlists to device

•Importing Playlists made from PonoMusic World

We know that there are still some remaining issues and we will continue to address these.

The PonoMusic Vault is absolutely free and will never expire. This software is what you need to manage your digital music library with rich features such as Playlist Creation, CD Ripping, Tag Editing and more!

Because this is a Beta version, we will be reviewing all of the tickets you submit, but may not get back to you on each one unless there are specific questions. You should assume that all feedback is being read and being addressed. If you do feel you want to submit a support ticket, you can do so by clicking here: PonoMusic | Store » and don't forget to include your operating system and browser information.

You can download PonoMusic Vault here:

www.ponomusic.com/pmv

Also, be sure to check out the video tutorials here:

PonoMusic | Store »

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Mahalo, The PonoMusic Team

System requirements:

Mac: OS X 10.9 and higher

Windows: Windows Vista and higher

pono,vault.update.1.17
    [​IMG]Download jpg(67 KB)

11. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

I get frustrated with Pono's interface and put it away for weeks/months at a time. But just this week I dragged some freshly ripped lossless tracks onto a card and fired it up. Gotta appreciate how great this thing sounds through a decent set of headphones. I'm even tempted to try the new version of Vault (just tempted mind you!).

JeffMo likes this.
  12. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Just select an album and close your eyes. You'll forget about the interface soon enough, I Pono Promise!

billnunan, JeffMo, LEONPROFF and 2 others like this.
  13. D10S

D10S New Member

I hoped the issue may have been firmware related and that someone would have come up with a simple fix for me. But I have exhausted all the possibilities that I can come up with. When a brand new card right out of the package even fails to load then I am truly stumped. Unless using PMV on previous downloads has corrupted something internal like the cache or memory and all my cards except one are being rejected by the player. I have tried 5 different cards at this point. ALL of them previously worked in the player prior to PMV. The new 200gb card is the exception. I never got that one to work, but the issue had already started before I got that card. Hopefully someone at PONO can find me a fix soon. I'd love to get back to listening to ALL my music on my Pono. Still the best device I own to hear quality audio.

14. D10S

D10S New Member

Since I started having issues with my PONO playing my SD cards recently I am wondering if the issue has to do with the internal memory or cache. Only one of my 6 SD cards will load. That one is I believe, the only one still stored in the players cache. Whenever I load any of the other cards the moment it goes into scanning the player goes crazy, screen spins and flashes then goes black. Only plays when I put in the one cached card or no card.

I seem to recall you could clean the cache by changing the theme back and forth or something like that. I worry however if I do that will I then make my only playable card unplayable? Can anyone tell me how the cache clean works again?

All of these issues began after using PMV. Before then ALL my cards played just fine. Not sure if it is related or not.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

As far as I know you would need 4 cards. It remembers 3 cards. So assuming in your case it has 3 cards cached, loading the 4th will delete the oldest. Then continue on inserting two more of your 4 cards and you have 3 fresh caches. I did this as the only way to get The out of an artist name, the tag change alone didn't stick nor did deleting and replacing the file on the same card/cache.

I don't know about the internal drive though, hopefully just clearing files works. Your case sure sounds like hardware/software issues though. Good luck as I feel for you as that sounds like a bummer.

16. D10S

D10S New Member

The problem is that when I load a card it won't get to the point that it actually loads and clears the cache. Hence I have the one card that works. All the other cards I try to load crash the player before they ever scan and load. So I can't clear the cache if it is holding any corrupt files.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Has anyone ever tried renaming a card? I wonder how the Pono views that, as a new card? I am reluctant to recommend that @D10S because you might well end up in a worse spot, but I was just thinking out loud.

18. D10S

D10S New Member

Yup. My problem is that I can't even get a card to load to scan and clear the cache. Each card crashes the player before they get to the scanning mode. Only the one card loads, which is also already stored in the cache. I worry that if I go and make changes to that card it too will then crash the player as well the next time I load it.

I was hoping for a way to clear the cache without needing to load cards.

19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I don't know of one. I should have added that a hard reset did not clear the cache in my case.

20. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Just as a question, have you made an exact clone of your one card that works? If so, does the clone card not work? If you haven't yet tried a clone, you might give that a shot. If it works, maybe make a few more clones and put the original working card away for safe keeping (or for making more clones in the future).

Assuming your Pono player accepts a clone, you can play around with the clone. If you can add one album to the clone, does it still work? If you delete one album from a clone, does the clone still work? If the answer is "yes" to either of those two clone questions, with a set of four clones (one of them unmodified), you could make three of the clones each different by one album--a different album for each of the clones. That would five you a three card system that could clear out the cache for the "original exact" clone. If, if, if, that works (without totally wiping out your beleaguered Pono player in the process), then you could try out one of your original cards that did not work, and see what happens.

But I'll tell you something, picking up another Pono player might not be such a bad idea.

21. D10S

D10S New Member

Interesting thought. I will try making a clone to a brand new card and see if it loads. I'll keep you posted.

22. D10S

D10S New Member

So I tried making a clone of the one good SD card that plays in the Pono. I plugged in the Pono to my iMac and a brand new Sandisk SD card into my iMac card reader. I dragged ALL the files from the SD card loaded in the Pono that works to the new card.
    Once files transferred I ejected the player and cards. The player still played the old card fine, but as soon as I loaded the new card the player went crazy and to black and crashed. Put the old card back in it plays fine. Not sure what that means, but I am still at a loss.

23. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Since all this started since using PMV why not JRiver a try.The new version works directly with the pono.

The pono software is a version of JRiver.Thirty day free trial.

24. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

I've been a huge supporter of Pono.

Due to some laptop problems I haven't been adding new files to my little triangular brick of sound goodness, but I will be soon.

You know, as much as I have supported them, I didn't make any investment in the Kickstarter campaign. In my opinion, it's clear that they were extremely naive and can I say incompetent, not to have a back up plan if their sole source file distribution provider went under or went someplace else.

In addition, the inability to get back on line by now shows they may be overmatched as an operational company. Having been a veteran of several startups, as an executive, I can tell you that reducing risk on sole source vendor situations better be part of your earliest planning or you can go down and out very quickly.

If someone from Ayre asked my opinion, I would suggest Ayre buying them out now, likely at their weakest point, and rebuild the business under a different marketing strategy.

The secret sauce is Ayre's great hardware and superbly mastered new and older material, that is more likely than not have been re released hi res. By the way, in my experience, well recorded recorded and mastered records at red book sound darn fine on the Pono.

Hey folks at Ayre, I'm available for a new thing, let's talk

25. D10S

D10S New Member

I may do that. However, even when I bypassed PMV and sideloaded files I still had issues. Also I loaded a brand new out of the package card with no files loaded and the player crashes. Only the one card works. Go figure? I still think something in the cache/memory is causing issues with all cards other than the one. PMV may have caused the issue to begin with, but no matter how I seem to load new files to an SD card it won't play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.