PONO Hands-on Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfaxa

sfaxa Active Member

Was Steve asked to be involved? He should have been - he could give it his magic touch

2. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Apple was part of a niche market at one time also.
    Apple today is more about locking you in their universe and throwing away the key.
    Can you tell I'm not a fan, only an admirer.

Grant likes this.
  3. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

+1

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Apple brought easy access through a simple interface to music, with good quality and made it portable on a variety of gadgets across their product range. Integrated, seamless and easy to use. They added WAV files compatibility and away you go. Simple.

That's the beauty of what they do and you no more need to be locked into the Apple way than I do. It's how other companies need to operate and yes, while I only own two products and two of the cheapest at that, I'm a fan.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

In the three years that Tim Cook has been CEO of Apple, it has doubled its market cap. It has double digit growth and revenues. Its PE ratio is only 18, making the stock undervalued and a good buy, according to many analysts. And that's not to mention its massive cash reserves. I'd love to own a company that's "dying" like that.

RubenH, P(orF), tima and 2 others like this.
  6. Most of these are discounted to $199 or even lower by the carriers if you sign two year contracts. Even without a contract, I guess people see more value in smartphones than in DAP's or stereo equipment in general.

7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I'm glad they are out and I really hope they are successful. I'll probably get one for some reason one of these days.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No question.

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

But that's the thing; yer typical smartphone these days turns in an excellent performance. To the point that it's a very high quality source.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  10. Greenears

Greenears Active Member

I don't think anyone on this board can know the reason Apple did or didn't go lossless or even 256k sooner or later than they did. It is probably under NDA with their contracts with Hollywood. Or it could be under contract NDA with the carriers due to bandwidth.

Thus I don't think this sub-thread has any point beyond mild entertainment. I suggest we go back to the Pono and it's performance and not worry too much about Apple. They can buy it later if turns out to be a home run.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'm considering purchasing one when released to the general public, but 95% of its use will be in the car (I have other options at home).

Having listened to ALAC files via iPod connection in the car, they sound better than 256 or 320 AAC, so I'd expect a comparable improvement in SQ with the Pono. (As an aside, this makes intellectual sense to me since the ambient car/road noise is identical regardless of the file type.)

My question, for anyone that has connected a Pono in their car, is whether the Pono controls will show up on the user screen in the car (similar to an iPod, SD card, flash drive, etc.). There are two reasons for asking: (1) the connecting wire is in the glove box, so it's out of reach and (2) I'll never have to say "well officer, I was playing with my Pono....". Not good.

Thank you in advance.

12. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Man, I loved my Rio Karma. I really liked the network capabilities. I used to connect mine to my office LAN so my co-workers could listen to my music. Once iPod went gapless, though, I ditched it.

13. Gabe Walters

The Pono only has analog outputs. There's no way to send that data to your car's head unit.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone else wish Pono was part of this whole Black Friday madness? That would get me out to stand in a line if there were some sales. Heck I'd even stand in line just to hear one and perhaps buy one at MSRP!

15. Not about innovation? Dying? Hahahaha hahahaha

GetHappy!! and Brother_Rael like this.
  16. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

So, if I sold ya CD's, DVD's and/or Blu-rays at that level, you'd have no problem with that?

I agree that the chart is more than a wee bit exaggerated though.

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

He is talking about sending the analog output to his head unit? That he can do and the DAC in the Pono is probably better than in his head unit, so analog would be the best connection, sonically. The user screen may or may not work. If it's just an analog control signal, it'll certainly only have simple features like skip and play and not a full album art selection, etc.
    -Bill

mongo likes this.
  18. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Well, I have had my Pono LE Tom Petty Player. First off, and to save anybody reading further, IMO this is a superb player for the money. The sound quality even without being run in is exceptional in relation to the 2 Hi Res albums on it, Wildflowers and Damn the Torpedoes. Hypnotic Eye I haven't listened to yet. I played the Pono through my main system, namely directly into my Airtight ATM 2 power amp, Rel S3 subwoofer and Quad 2805 Electrostatics. The little Pono competed well against my Roksan Xerses 20 Turntable with Tabriz Zi Tonearm and Van Den Hul the Ultimate Phono Stage, Van Den Hul Super MC 1 moving coil cartridge, using an ADL esoteric DAC asa pre-amp. Whilst the Vinyl front end smoked the Pono, approximately $ 15,000 worth of gear new, the Pono held up remarkably well. As a portable player there is no comparison with the Iphone 4 I have been using to date. I also heard an Astell and Kern 100 player yesterday it again gave very little away.

For what its worth, Neil Young, Pono and Ayre have delivered in relation to the player.

Now for the negatives. Pono World leaves a lot to be desired and it could be already dead in the water if it doesn't sort out the type of problems I am having. Nevertheless I will reserve judgement until I try to use the site whilst not tired, I was trying to load my library up last night and hit major roadblocks. Could be me, we will see tonight!! It is also too light imo. I would like it to be more solid, others may disagree.

I also want to compare it to my Classe CDP 300 player using CDs downloaded from my library and especially Wildflowers on CD.

Shiver, Vinylsoul 1965 and CarterB like this.
  19. Gabe Walters

I know he can send the music to his car stereo. How can he send the controls?

20. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Thank you for the review, Peter. Welcome to the TP LE club :) I love mine as well, and I agree re: Pono World. We have become spoiled with iTunes and how easy it is to use. Even Songbird is much easier to use. Importing music is tedious and takes a long time, but again I see this as a minor issue right now. It will get fixed. The other option is to simply load music directly on the SD card via your computer (drag and drop) bypassing Pono World completely. If your files are tagged, they will show up on your player. I can't use my iPhone anymore as a music device and my iPod Classic is only used on a little speaker system in our bathroom...the Pono is the one that will hold my needledrops and 24 bit music and be my main portable player for car trips, plane rides, etc.

21. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

Please link to these reviews if they exist.

22. SpookyGriff

SpookyGriff Forum Resident

Seconded because if that's true than LOL

23. bangsezmax

There was one post on the Pono Community boards (can't link) from an X3 owner that the Pono sounded significantly better.

24. bangsezmax

Scooter59 and Summerisle like this.
  25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

High-res player worth more than car...

Billy Budapest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.