PONO Player vs. SONY Walkman NWZ-A15/17

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Anton888, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder if there is anybody here who has compared the PONO Player with the Hi-Res SONY Walkman NWZ-A15/17 soundwise?

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Im currently looking at buying one or the other of these 2 players and would also be very interested in any comparisons or other feedback.

3. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I am pretty sure the Pono should sound better due to the ESS9018 DAC,
    have a search on Head-Fi.

4. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

The interesting thing about the Pono (which sounds great BTW, haven't heard the Sony yet) is that given the minimal analog output circuitry needed for most DAC chipsets, and the fact that the unit runs off DC rather than filtered AC, there's no reason it can't sound as good or better than many similarly priced non-portable DAC separates. Choosing the best analog components for portable applications can have powering (e.g. single vs split supplies) and component size limitations, but the Pono designers made room for larger components, and a pure DC supply will at least theoretically help reduce noise (e.g. also still running digital circuitry nearby).

rburly likes this.
  5. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I've been happy with my A17 connected to an ALO Continental when I'm on a trip. I'd use it more often, but can't get the digital bits out of it and into my Hugo. :-(

6. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

7. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

8. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've listened to both, and now own the A17. Both are great players, and either one is good choice.

JeffMo likes this.
  9. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated !

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I've been researching the same question for past few days. My iPod Classic died some time back and since then, I've been struggling to maintain music in my iPhone thanks to space constraints.

From all that I've read, it's seems like both offer comparable sound quality but the key differences for me have been:

The Walkman rules in battery life (almost 5 times better than Pono)
    Sony possibly has the better UI and operating system
    Walkman is definitely more portable with its slim form
    Pono has better output capability to power headphones
    Pono plays DSD and offers balanced mode (not a factor for me yet)
    Pono seems better platform to feed main stereo system if needed (better ESS DAC?)

Now I just need to make my decision soon!

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The reviews aren't going to help you make a decision. I've yet to read a PonoPlayer review that accurately describes the sound as I hear it.
    Two reviews have come close:
    1) the InnerFidelity review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/pono-player-and-promises-fulfilled
    2) the AudioStream review: http://www.audiostream.com/content/pono-player

The PonoPlayer has a sound that is set-back. It's not a forward sound. It's set-back and a bit relaxed. It also has a soundstage that goes deep and surrounds your head rather than flat and wide with a hole in the middle. It has a sound that lets you get into the music and relax. And just enjoy and let the music surround and wash over you.

What the PonoPlayer isn't going to be as well suited for is as a portable player to hype you up and get energized. I wouldn't use it for listening to music to energize me while working out on a stationary bike. An iPhone or other portable with a more forward sound would be better suited for that sort of listening.

The choice for me between a PonoPlayer and some other player would depend on why and where I'm listening and what sort of music. If I'm listening to get into the music and moved emotionally by the music then I'll choose the Pono. If I'm listening to get hyped or energized I would choose something more like an iPod or similar portable.

I haven't heard the Sony so I can't compare to that.

I really like my PonoPlayer for what it is good at and the style of sound it has. I'm looking for another player to use for when I need music to hype or energize me, or for times I want the music to be more forward. Maybe my old iPod Classic combined with the Oppo HA-2 as an external DAC and headphone amp. Or something else. I'm still trying to figure that part out.

Ivand, JeffMo, oneway23 and 2 others like this.
  12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I agree with you 100%. When I want to listen to music, my PonoPlayer is the way to go. It's a listening experience.

The only thing that I do, that others seem not to do, is that I wear Nike or Everlast shorts here in Florida, so my PonoPlayer fits in my left pocket easily and I use a great set of IEMs that make going to the store and other mundane events almost as "listen worthy" as sitting at home with my headphones in balanced mode, which I highly advise.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Are there any retail stores that carry the Pono player? Or are they selling strictly on the Pono Music site?

14. crossroads69

Thanks, that's a great description of what the Pono delivers. I need a player to listen to music mainly at home or hotel rooms, when I am just unwinding and need some good quality music. I guess the Pono fits that bill then. For commuting or at the gym, I will still be using my iPhone.

What has been your experience with its battery life?

15. crossroads69

Frys sells the Pono player. I have also seen it at Amoeba Music in LA.

16. Ham Sandwich

The sound is perfect for unwinding with. It's relaxed, in a good way.

Battery life is in the up to 8 hour range if using efficient headphones. Run time is less if using less efficient headphones. I don't know for sure what sorts of battery life I've been getting cause I don't keep track.

If you're in a hotel room you can charge it while listening. There's also portable external rechargeable charge-up batteries you can use if necessary.

It would be nice if the battery life were longer so you don't have to plan ahead to make sure it's always charged when you want to use it. But I'll sacrifice battery life and some convenience for better sound. Good amps usually aren't stingy with power.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ayre dealers should also have it.
    https://www.ayre.com/dealers.htm

18. crossroads69

Thanks, looks like my local Frys has both the Pono and the Walkman in stock and perhaps I could just get both, play around for a week and then keep one. But your description of the Pono sound is just what I am looking for sonically.

19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I just got an Oppo HA-2 and a custom WM-Port/micro-USB cable to connect to the A17. Oppo's tech support tells me that the A17 should be able to play DSD files now, but I cannot seem to get that going. Can anyone here help?

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Just because I'm curious, did you also test the FiiO x5?

21. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I did. It sounds great as well, but I was not a fan of the user interface. Great player, but just not my cup of tea. The Sony checked all the boxes for me.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I thought so, too. Nevertheless, I got this from Oppo:
    But, when I added a DSD file through Sony's MediaGo software, it converted the file to a 24/176.4 FLAC. And when I copied the file manually into the Walkman's Music folder, the Walkman failed to recognize the DSD as a supported file type. I've responded to Oppo again, asking if DSD support is theoretical or if they've actually gotten a file to play back.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hmmm...

Reply from Oppo:
    So, when Oppo told me that, yes, I "will get DSD from the A17," it seems they didn't know what they were talking about. Apparently they had never tested DSD themselves before confirming compatibility. What the hell???

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  25. Ham Sandwich

In their defense it is confusing to keep the different Sony model numbers straight. There likely is a Sony player that does play DSD to the Oppo. But which one? Only a Sony salesman would know and he'd probably have to look it up. It would be easier if Sony gave their players sensible names or at least a sensible model number hierarchy. Instead the model names are a random combination of letters and digits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.