Porcupine Tree - Deadwing....FINALLY to be re-released 2018!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There.... Thread Starter

This just in from Burning Shed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Porcupine Tree
    Deadwing / In Absentia (vinyl / coloured vinyl pre-orders)

For many, PT's seventh and eighth studio albums represent the pinnacle of the band's artistic achievements (they also saw the introduction of Gavin Harrison on drums).

Unavailable on vinyl for years, these double 180g heavyweight audiophile editions come in gatefold packaging with printed inner bags.

Deadwing is available on black or very limited clear vinyl. In Absentia is available on black or very limited white vinyl.

Pre-order for 23rd February and 9th March release.

2. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

About time!

Tor33rpm likes this.
  3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

4. Tor33rpm

Yup....I posted to that some time ago, but it is a "When will it be released?" thread. This is "Finally Re-Released" thread.

danielbravo likes this.
  5. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Psyched that I didn’t spend $500+ for an original copy of Deadwing.

Bummed I spent $100 on an original sealed copy of In Absentia. Oh well - love the album.

Ordered both reissues.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Remastered?

7. according to the blurb at Burning Shed, Yes. Steven Wilson 2017.

8. Erik Tracy

Ok - I'm in for both Deadwing and In Absentia.

Tor33rpm likes this.
  9. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I feel almost badly for Burning Shed: They've milked the lack of a reissue for so long. This might result in their no longer needing any social media presence for people to ask about this release.

(A side note for my fellow CD people -- The Burning Shed Twitters says there will be CD reissues next year as well.)

Tor33rpm likes this.
  10. Erik Tracy

Hmmm...now debating on whether to take the risk on the LPs (shipped from UK and hope I don't have to return them on my nickel), or just wait for the CDs.

11. Tor33rpm

I kinda sensed something was up. My Discogs wish list was pinging me on many Deadwing LP's. Looks like many people wanted to unload on their red vinyl copies. This was a nice surprise.

12. Tor33rpm

I've ordered many LP from Burning Shed. Had one issue and they took care of it immediately. And that was on an uninsured package. For this release, I insured it for the extra 9 bucks. Completely worth it. Christmas in February.

13. Tor33rpm

PT’s brilliant 2005 release now reissued on Kscope.

The album has been remastered by Steven Wilson and the 2017 master has features noticeably less compression and limiting in order to provide a more dynamic listening experience.

Deadwing was the band's eighth studio album and the second in a run of three releases that for many represent the pinnacle of the band's artistic achievements. Following the breakthrough of In Absentia, Deadwing continued the band’s commercial and critical ascent and was PT's top selling record at the time.

Based on a screenplay written by Steven Wilson and director Mike Bennion, around half of the songs were started with a view to being part of the score to that film, but when the film failed to move into the production stage, Wilson instead made them the foundation for Deadwing, with additional material written in collaboration with the other band members. The album features the classic singles: Shallow and Lazarus, the latter of which Wilson still performs live with his current band. Other popular songs from the album include Open Car and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.

The album features guest appearances from Adrian Belew (King Crimson), who plays guitar solos on the title track and Halo, and Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth), who adds vocal harmonies and a guitar solo to Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.

Limited double heavyweight 180g clear vinyl edition in gatefold packaging with printed inner bags.

14. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

What site did you use to order?

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The clear and white vinyl versions are 'limited' but there are also black vinyl versions. Experience with coloured vinyl leads me not to panic and just get the standard versions when released.

16. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

The new ones? Burning Shed.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Thanks!

18. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Ordered Deadwing on clear, dont know why they decided to press In Absentia on white. The Tonefloat In Absentia actually sounds great - there is no way they pressed just the CD master to vinyl back then.

19. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

Ordered the clear vinyl version of Deadwing, such a great album.I'm so glad that I will have it on vinyl, finally.

Tor33rpm likes this.
  20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just read that at importcds: "Two of the most popular Porcupine Tree releases, In Absentia and Deadwing, have been acquired by Kscope and will be given reissues on vinyl, with new CD editions to follow later in 2018." I think I will pick up both the CDs issues . . . any other leaks on these yet?

21. Dont know about any cds but my vinyl of Deadwing shipped yesterday. Once again the wait begins, days turn to weeks :waiting:

POGunter and Tor33rpm like this.
  22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Wonder why the CD releases are later this year with no published date? Seems odd.

23. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

My experience of Kscope is that:
    1. They tend to milk releases as much as they can, especially with their more popular acts. For example, they have history of releasing deluxe editions of albums with 'exclusive' bonus tracks, only to release the exclusive tracks later on another release (The Pineapple Thief's Your Wilderness and Where We Stood is a good example). Also, when albums go out of print, instead of reissuing the previous release, they bring out a new edition with bonus tracks. I know a lot of labels do this, but Kscope have a habit of doing this with 2-4 year old albums.
    2. This is exactly what they did with the re-release of the the earlier Porcupine Tree albums - release the vinyl box sets, followed by the CDs a few months later .
    Having just heavily criticised Kscope, I do think they know their audience well and how to exploit it through multiple releases and slowly reissuing in demand albums, one format at a time. Whoever is in charge clearly has good business acumen!

Plan9, LivingForever and lennonology like this.
  24. krenzler

krenzler Forum Resident

Already owning the 2010 Tonefloat of In Absentia I'm debating whether it will be worth it going for the new SW remaster on white vinyl. The Tonefloat sounds great but I wonder if the new one will sound different/better?

25. Deadwing vinyl just arrived. Unfortunately due to various factors it will be the weekend before I have any chance to play it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.