Porcupine Tree - Deadwing....FINALLY to be re-released 2018!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

New Deadwing sounds good.... Very dynamic, and dead quiet vinyl. The heavy parts still sound a little "digital" to my ears (this is probably due to the recording process as much as anything)..... Although I will say, it's one of those records that sounds a lot better when cranked. (At least for the heavy songs like "Shallow.")

A little disappointed there was no download code, as I suspect the new digital version has much better DR than the original CD. But I guess KScope is hoping we double-dip for the new CD versions down the line?....

I'll probably hold off on getting the new In Absentia. My original blue-black vinyl looks gorgeous and sounds amazing, every bit as dynamic as this new Deadwing.

Tor33rpm, Groovy and Musiko like this.
  2. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There.... Thread Starter

Arrived today from Burning Shed. I just saw that they have more limited clear vinyl. Wow. Sounds VERY good. Your EXACT comment of "when cranked", prompted me to see what others thought. It's meatier, but not over compressed. Vocals pop even over the increased low end. Wish it were just a little warmer. A very annoying pop 1/2 way through side a and didn't stop until my tone arm lifter picked up the needle.

3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I am comparing the vinyl reissue to both the original CD and the 24/48 audio off the DVD-A. For me, just after the very first track, it's clear:

Vinyl (2018)
    DVD-A
    CD

The gulf between the vinyl and the DVD Audio isn't enormous, but to me, I would definitely say it sounds "meatier" but the bass guitar is just as tactile on vinyl as on digital, it just has a bit more groove to it and a tiny bit more slam (but not overdone)
    Cymbals are quite different, to my ear. They sound... a bit grungy on the DVD-A by comparison. On vinyl, they sound crisp, clean, real. They have appropriate shimmer but don't sound hazy or, I can't seem to find the word, they just don't sound as smooth on the digital counterparts.

To me, the CD sounds pretty lame by comparison. Now don't get me wrong - it STILL sounds good, but I think both the 24/48 and vinyl take the SQ up significantly.

ryaneagon likes this.
  4. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

I wasn't so lucky in the "dead quiet" test. I've got rhythmic crackle clearly audible at the beginning of the title track and in the Lazarus outro. I'll be curious to hear others chime in as to how lucky/unlucky they were about getting a clean copy. Running it through the Spin Clean didn't help.

Preston likes this.
  5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

So I'm guessing this isn't coming to CD? Really wish to get this.

6. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Oh, it will, fortunately. Im hoping for blu-ray audio too.

7. toddrhodes

Mine too. Not necessarily the same sections but I have an audible tick every rev on side two for a couple minutes and side 1 has crackle issues. Sides C and D we're better from memory

8. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

The thread is only 2 pages - is that too much to read through to see that it has been asked/answered already?

Once again, from Steven's webpage:

9. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I overlooked it by mistake and didn't see it there, no need for your snarky attitude, good sir.

Soundman likes this.
  10. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There.... Thread Starter

My clear vinyl copy has a tasty pop 1/2 way through side a. I also bought a black vinyl copy and it sounds so clean. Not one pop. The spine arrived split, though. 1st bummer of a Burning Shed deal.

11. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

I did consider just going for black vinyl for just that reason, but the "limited edition" thing sucked me in. Doubly irritated because there is no download code.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Tor33rpm likes this.
  12. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I now have regular black versions of In Absentia and Deadwing, the clear Deadwing variant I ordered actually went missing during transit.

I dont know why they didnt put the records inside poly-lined inner sleeves - basically every side is scratched up or with some defect because of the printed inner sleeves, surely a rushed pressing plant job with zero quality control. Every side also has that typical Optimal pressing plant trademark non-fill (which is fortunately unaudible, at least on first listen).

Overall a very good job (mastering, gategold, the sound), records themselves are a letdown, I blame the pressing plant.

13. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Cool!

14. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Deadwing now number one on British rock chart and number 3 on vinyl charts.

Plan9, Tor33rpm and pinktree1 like this.
  15. White vinyl for In Absentia arrived yesterday. Sounds really good to me. As with Deadwing, the drums (particularly toms) sound much better here, but I also really like how the acoustic instruments sound with a little more breathing room around them. Have to turn this one way up , that's for sure. Also like with Deadwing, the atmospheric qualities of Richard Barbieri's keyboards are now more evident.

Now we need a "Recordings 2" to collect the other rarities of that era on vinyl.

bunkaroo likes this.
  16. krenzler

krenzler Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to compare this new In Absentia with the 2010 Tonefloat release? I have the latter and wonder whether this new release offers a step up in sound quality or not.

17. toddrhodes

I have both and I like both but they are very different to me. The new one isn't cut as loudly and on some songs is far behind in terms of dynamics (the opening track is the primary example). That said? I do feel like the new one is well balanced, punchy, and a very good pressing overall so if I had to pick one, I'd pick the reissue. It cranks just a little bit better and I can sense a little more detail and space, even if it comes across as less "wow" on some tracks.

krenzler likes this.
  18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Didn’t SW state he wanted to remix Deadwing and In Absentia in 5.1? :drool:

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Steven wants to do new mixes for In Absentia, for sure. Elliot Scheiner did the original surround mix for that album.

As for Deadwing, I'm not sure SW wants to completely mix that one or just remaster it to allow more dynamics.

20. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

While I'm a huge fan of Elliot Scheiner mixes, actually I think "Deadwing" is one of my favorite, I think Steven Wilson has perfected the 5.1 music mixes, I think he could do better, while both are really good I think "In Absentia" needs to be reworked, especially the EQ, very bright and lacking low end. (imo) One can hope....

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's because of a phase problem that possibly happened at authoring stage and wasn't caught at the time.
    We corrected it.

I don't think Steven ever said he wanted to remix the 5.1 of these albums done originally by Elliott Scheiner?
    Remaster the stereo mixes, sure, which he did for the current vinyl reissues.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    JediJoker, albertop and JakeM like this.
  22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Got the White edition of In Absentia and played it the other day. Sounds brilliant to me. Definitely has a more punchier sound than I remember, superb dynamics and detail. I haven't compared against the 2010 Tonefloat as of yet but I'd be surprised if it got beat by it. By far the best this album has sounded to me.

Really hope this new master is released on hi-res (DVD-A or Blu) alongside a fixed 5.1 mix with the proper phase. Not interested in just a normal CD personally.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

is the 5.1 going to be re-released?

24. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I sure hope so, but haven’t seen an announcement. The originals are too expensive used at this point. I’m hoping for a similar treatment to Steven’s other 5.1 work - blu Ray, 5.1, remix, original stereo etc. like crimson, xtc etc.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yea me too. i picked up stupid dream, lightbulb sun and fear of a blank planet. then the others got out of my willing to spend range

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.