Porcupine Tree-new(old) box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nibor, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I don't think I'll pick this boxset up as I don't own a turntable at present, but I will say though that I saw a 2015 remastered CD of On the Sunday of Life this morning on the shelf here at one of the top record stores in Sydney (Utopia Records). Not sure how the album will sound but I'm sure Wilson would have made a good job of it.

Wouldn't mind Hi-Res files of the early albums actually. Hope he goes ahead with them soon.

2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I think that's just a repackage/repress of the last master that was done for Snspper/Kscope.

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I bought this set a couple of days ago. I plan to begin listening to it today.

Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

FVDnz and nibor like this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I love Porcupine Tree but seriously how many times have these albums been reissued....

Scott222C likes this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Not as many times as The Doors. :biglaugh:

fuse999 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I'm close to pulling the trigger on this boxset.
    For those that purchased, everyone happy with the sound quality on this set?

7. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I am, great quality of vinyl and very good mix.

The only draw back is the original covers are not reproduced.

SJP likes this.
  8. nibor

nibor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Porcupine Tree ยป
    woke up this morning with an email from Burning Shed and pre order for volume 2 of the Delerium Years reissues.
    I'm a bit conflicted over getting this one. Love the first volume but not sure that I'd play many of the lps in this second boxset much at all, not my fav PT period.
    Waiting may be the best option and hope that something turns up on one of the Amazon sites eventually with cheaper shipping.

The Delerium Years 1991 - 1993 is a strictly limited edition nine disc vinyl box set that includes the first two Porcupine Tree studio albums, On the Sunday of Life and Up the Downstair, the Staircase Infinities mini album, the archival album Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape, and the two EPs that make up Voyage 34: The Complete Trip.

Pressed on 180g heavyweight vinyl, the box set contents have been remastered by Steven Wilson:
    Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape and On the Sunday of Life feature masters for the most recent CD editions, which used the original analogue tapes for the first time (all previous editions derived from 1990s digital copies). The other recordings have all been specifically remastered for this set and feature more naturalistic dynamics and EQ. Voyage 34 uses the full length version of Phase IV as featured on the original 12 inch single release.

The deluxe box includes a 'perfect bound' book containing rare and unseen period documents and photographs, plus extensive biographical liner notes and an in-depth interview with Steven Wilson (revealing details about his childhood and early creative endeavours) conducted by Stephen Humphries. The box, book and LP packaging has been created by long-term collaborators; Lasse Hoile and Carl Glover.

The Delerium Years 91-93 follows the acclaimed The Delerium Years 94-97 set, and completes Kscope's chronicle of the evolution of the UK's brightest Psychedelic/Progressive/Alt Rock talent of the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

Pre-order for 27th January 2017 release.

9. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Very tempted....

10. JediJoker

Wish these new masters would go up for HD download already...

richard a and FVDnz like this.
  11. nibor

nibor Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wish they'd been offered as a SACD set or even DVD-A as I'm trying to give up on buying vinyl.

12. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i'll get this new boxset. i really love this period.
    there are 2 versions of YHD . the one on the first cd issued in 94 and the one from Staircase Infinities
    i am curious about sonic treatment of the one from the K7 Tarquins and the version of "It Will Rain for a Million Years" included
    the original from Mussolini is so good

[​IMG]

13. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

14. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

ONLY want Deadwing!

Scott222C likes this.
  15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Looks like a great set. Wish it was being offered in CD form too. Fortunately, these new versions of Sunday and Yellow are already available digitally, so at least I won't have to wait on those.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. Ken.e.

I enjoy these albums. They are like early Pink Floyd creative and innovative but not reflective of what was to come. I think I'll pick them up because i feel the music he made at the time was very much reflective of another time when vinyl was king. Plus the last set was incredible.

17. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

I just received this box. the sound is awesome but the pressing rather noisy. i have even a scratch on beginning of side c...
    i'll mail them to ask for a change - of this lp if possible

18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Keeping my fingers crossed for this option also. Not in a position to get back into vinyl just yet. ;)

JediJoker likes this.
  19. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

not a good idea to take it that way
    the remasters are far better and God knows how i know these tracks, since 95 ...

JediJoker likes this.
  20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I have all these albums in teh Japanese minilp configurations from around 2008...I'm done with them!

21. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i insist heavily. OTSOL and V34 are far better and remastered in 2015 or 2016

22. Ken.e.

The Vinyl I received is good but needed cleaning. The sound on the three sides I've listened to is incredibly the best versions I've heard yet. Great set which I highly recommend. The music on early PT albums was so adventurous.

JediJoker and abor1g like this.
  23. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

no

24. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I love this set and the book with it. Brings Back such memories of the late eighties. The bands he name checks and the vibe at the time. I was in my prime at the time, the world was my oyster and this music is so evocative some 25-30 years on. The outakes are the real deal here and given their origin sound great. Hell, they sound great anyway. Some digital recording have sampled vinyl sounds which is a bit of a mind bend.... digital vinyl sounds on vinyl...

25. JediJoker

You have both and have compared?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.