Porcupine Tree-new(old) box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nibor, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

No need to compare. SW has been remastering the early albums over the last 2 years and everything in both Delerium Vinyl Boxsets is a new 'dynamic' (and I would say pretty much definitive) master. From what I know for sure, only '...Sunday...' and 'Signify' have had CD versions so far. See SWHQ for the details on those as the retail outlets selling these are not advertising this major selling point.

Insurgentes also received a new master on CD, which came out in 2016.

oneway23, Plan9 and abor1g like this.
  2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

The only one I had seen for sure was Signify. I did know about the Insurgentes remaster; just bought the 24/96 from 7digital.

3. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i think all is said :)

4. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i have nearly everything form PT BEFORE this package and i never heard such a sound . Far better ...

5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Yeah, Yeah ...... give us DEADWING ffs

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The new PT Box Set just sold out on Burning Shed, as it was available up until a day ago, but now listed as Sold Out. Guess the only other option is Amazon or another potential seller for it for those who are interested.

7. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

So the 2016 CD of "Signify" is remastered?

JediJoker likes this.
  8. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident are all tied up in Atlantic/Roadrunner for the foreseeable future. SW has stated his desire to remaster both IA and DW, and at one point was talking about putting together a release including B-sides and other material, but Atlantic wasn't interested.

9. Scott222C

Three of those four are (or were at least for some time) readily available on Vinyl, but one is not and that was my point .....and remasters are overrated - just run the presses again with DEADWING from the old metal parts - how hard can it be ?

10. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I'm not entirely sure but I think FOABP and Incident are owned by SW and were just licensed to Roadrunner for the releases. FOABP has been re-pressed a few times on Tonefoat and most recently (late 2016) on Kscope in USA only. Burning Shed mentioned that a EU press will come out from Kscope too.

I believe it's only In Absentia and Deadwing which are owned by Lava/Atlantic/Warner and according to SW there has been some kind of buyout going on for a few years now and a lot of material the label owns the masters to are in limbo.

I have faith in SW that soon as he can, he will either license it or hopefully buy back the rights so he can do what he wants with it in future.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Remasters are overrated when they restore the dynamic range?

FVDnz, abor1g and JediJoker like this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

This. Steven will get the albums back in print in better-sounding reissues as soon as he can.

13. Scott222C

I am talking about the LP versions only and have not noticed any lacking in dynamic range in those ..... but whatever

14. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

They were most likely pressed from the CD masters or very similar to with a few tweaks. The original Deadwing has some pressing issues too if I recall. It's one of the reasons I never picked it up as I can't justify paying hundreds of pounds for a flawed press. My go to version is currently the 5.1 mix on the DVD-A but I will be chuffed when SW can finally get it hands on the stereo master and gives it a proper mastering and release.

JediJoker, Plan9 and Scott222C like this.
  15. nibor

nibor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Appears to be back in stock at Burning Shed. I just ordered from Amazon UK via 3rd party seller as it worked out NZ$54 cheaper. Was a bit conflicted as to getting this set as it's not a period of PT that I return to very often but it seemed a bit pointless not to match up with the earlier box set which is very good.

16. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Flaws concerned the red pressing of Deadwing from Gates of Down. Blue was ok.

lennonology likes this.
  17. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I hesitated for the same reason but it is actually full of vreat tunes. Sundays has two classics but the rest leaves me cold. Everything else is lush and a remarkable remaster/mix.

18. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I got in touch with Burning Shed yesterday and they said there is more stock on the way early next week. I will be adding this to my collection for sure but was hoping to wait a few months as it's a big purchase at £100 delivered. I had the credit card ready though in case it had actually sold out. I'd have been surprised if it did as it only came out last week and the previous box took about 10 months to sell out.

Still undecided if I should order now or in a month or 2 time... The only album I really want badly is Up The Downstair as all previous presses have issues (the ones I've tried anyway). Plus the book because I found the one in the other box to be superb.

19. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

the book is awesome - in all terms - pictures, texts, interest ....

Ken.e. likes this.
  20. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Totally agree the book dives into the beginning of Steven Wilson's career and Porcupine Tree. It's a must read to get a better understanding of how a fictional band became real.

Runicen likes this.
  21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

How does it rate when compared with the book in the old Stars Die collection?

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  22. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Up the Downstair is the version with Gavin Harrison drums, right? That's about the only unfortunate part of the set if so. Still hoping to buy it anyway.

23. Ken.e.

I never picked that collection up.

24. Ken.e.

He could not use the original because he sampled the drums off other artists like Miles Davis. I read that in the book. Too bad because I have Up the Downstairs already on vinyl with Gavin on drums. I would have preferred the original in this set as a comparison.

seasonsinthesky and Runicen like this.
  25. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

The early Recordings sound great. I am loving the Hedgerow and Staircase infinities records especially. The 'Sundays' album is the weakest part of the set IMHO but sound wise is full bodied and crystal clear. Reading the booklet is an eye opener. Cannot believe he was not really a musician as a child/adolescent. His influences from that period are also interesting and the more you listen the more you can hear it. Joy Division, The The etc.
    I hesitated over this because of my dislike of Porcs first album but I am so glad I have this now. Lots to rediscover and enjoy. Now off to take a voyage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.