Porcupine Tree-new(old) box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nibor, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Just don't meet yourself coming up a down stairway and you should be fine.

JediJoker and seasonsinthesky like this.
  2. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Like Steven Wilson, I never touch anything stronger than tea (and the odd glass of Southern Comfort) but his music takes me way....

Runicen likes this.

3. Which one? The 1994-1997 set is permanently sold out. I asked Burning Shed and this their answer from today:

The 1991-1993 set is still available.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  4. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

They sold every box, but I have yet to see a single comment on the different mixes of "Signify II" exclusive to the box. Presumably one is the released version from Stars Die: The Delerium years, but I'm curious about the other.

5. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I was talking about the 1991-93 set, which only came out the end of Jan so not sold out yet (BS were just waiting on another batch to come in).

If I remember correctly, they are exactly the same other than the other version has talking passages through the song.

seasonsinthesky and RolandG like this.
  6. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

if you read the leaflet in the box 94-97, you will see that they managed to have on the same track a version with the preacher and a version without on the last vinyl of this box side O.
    depend on what side of the groove your stylus goes. have fun ...

7. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Yeah, pretty much what I said.

8. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

without preaching, yes ... :D

Simon_LDT likes this.
  9. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Haha, yeah kinda forgot what it was called. :p

10. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I read somewhere else on the forum that "In Absentia" is now under Kscope, is that correct? I have looked it up in Spotify, it says Kscope 2017. Should we expect a new release soon?

11. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

12. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

He's got four months before the tour starts to get the work done (if it's not) and sent for test pressings.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

FVDnz, Plan9, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

The Kscope ownership reveal is indeed, wonderful news! Can't wait for further, inevitable details... ;)

In Absentia is going to be immense! Already anticipating the extra tracks from the Out Absentia outtakes not to mention Futile.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Runicen and JediJoker like this.
  15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

...and I would love to see whether SW had an alternate tracklist in mind, as the one minute Collapse instrumental from the download version of the Futile EP, was originally intended to open In Absentia.

Runicen and JediJoker like this.
  16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I can take or leave Futile, his first big dumb rawk song which I'm sure spawned two more big dumb rawk songs, Halo & Shallow. Those last two prevent Deadwing from being a truly great album instead of a very good one. And before anyone goes crazy about my use of big dumb rawk song, my recollection is that SW himself used it as a description for Futile back in the day.

Glad I sold my Deadwing vinyl (blue IIRC) about a year or two ago. Haven't missed it. It's like how many ways do I need to listen to an album? CD...check. DVD audio...check. Vinyl...looks like a re-check is in the works!

FVDnz likes this.
  17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm with you on that. I don't hate any of these songs, but it felt like "Blackest Eyes" and "Wedding Nails" were far better uses of the heavy texture as far as Porcupine Tree was concerned. The ones you listed almost sound like PT doing a pastiche of metal rather than seriously employing the sound.

FVDnz and SJP like this.
  18. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

A 5.1 rerelease would be most welcomed! Still kicking myself over not grabbing it all those years ago. I do have the LP and it's amazin'!

FVDnz and Runicen like this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

That's true, but I will guarantee that Futile will end up on the set much like how the song closed out a later release of that album. As far as the song goes, you can always listen to Gavin Harrison's Big Band version... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.