Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson 2016/2017 Digital Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piole

piole Active Member

New remasters are only on CD, no hi-res audio?

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

For those 3 titles as far as I am aware they are CD only, no hi res.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I listened to some of the new Deadwing vinyl last night---sounded fantastic! It's nice to finally have some breathing room in the mastering.

4. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

I really hope they don't make us wait too long for DW remaster on CD. I've never had a big issue with how IA sounds, but DW is going to be awesome to hear with a nice non-distorted low end.

HotelYorba101 and Rosskolnikov like this.
  5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

So, has anybody gotten the remastered IA yet?! I know it's going to sound fabulous but I still look forward to reviews. :)

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

It suddenly occurs to me exactly how bad of a hit my bank account is going to take once IA and DW come out on CD in their new masterings. That's what I get for not picking these new versions up as they were released...

7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Curious if the bass overload is still there on the end of Russia? For me that is the worst recorded moment of Wilson's discography.

8. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I have it. Its really good. I got the white vinyl version. Perfect clean flat sounding press.

FVDnz and DaverJ like this.
  9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Sad part is, that part sounds AMAZING in a car. Part of the problem, I know, but when your back teeth are rattling during the riff-out, it's a nice feeling. :cool:

bunkaroo and SirMarc like this.
  10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Also sounds killer with my HD650's. I look forward to that part

Runicen likes this.
  11. piole

piole Active Member

There is no still Deadwing and In Absentia in SW remasters on CD?
    Which catalog numbers has Fear, Sky, Stupid and Blackfield 1 and 2 in reamsters?

bunkaroo, bleachershane and ponkine like this.
  12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Yeah, I'm waiting for those ones too!

Not only remastered but also remixed in stereo and 5.1, of course with loads of goodies

:righton:

lordfalconer, calgary669 and Runicen like this.
  13. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I contacted Burning Shed about these late last year. Still in the pipeline apparently but no idea exactly when.

Brenald79, lordfalconer and Runicen like this.
  14. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

There are no FOABP remasters. One of them does state it's a 2012 (I think) remaster but it was in error. There's one FOABP in stereo, period, end of.

The Sky Moves Sideways has two remasters. KSCOPE487 from 2018 has the newest (and goodest, unless you don't want Gavin overdubs) one. All the other ones on CD are either the 2003 super-loud remaster or the original.

Stupid Dream was remastered once, which was in 2005 when it was remixed. So any versions with the new cover art will have the same remaster. KSCOPE343 is currently in print I think.

Blackfield I only has a single issue of the remaster on CD, which is KSCOPE493.

Blackfield II also seems to have one CD issue confirmed to have the remaster, which is KSCOPE494.

opiumden likes this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Tentative release sometime this year for an In Absentia boxset. Deadwing boxset probably next year. Nothing's set in stone yet.

16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

There was a 2012 remaster done of FOABP though--it was used for the recent vinyl reissue. I emailed Kscope/Burning Shed and that's what they told me.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Looking forward to the In Absentia set whenever it does drop. Fingers crossed it's just about cramming as much music as possible in one set rather than having the CD + vinyl + family photo album + Steven Wilson life mask, etc. at an inflated price.

SW is pretty good at value for money though, so I'm not too worried on that front.

Out of curiosity, how much extra audio exists from those sessions? I gathered that they ran out of time and cash to stick to the original concept of the album (i.e. opening and closing with "Collapse the Light"), so I always assumed that there were interesting ideas that never got a proper follow-up.

DaverJ likes this.
  18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

I think most of the proper songs outside the album have been released:

Drown With Me
    Chloroform
    Futile
    Meantime
    Cut Ribbon
    Collapse
    Orchidia (In Absentia version)

He could include some demos. Some of those were released on the Out Absentia bootleg.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There will be demos.

Starwanderer and Runicen like this.
  20. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

I'm still trying to sort all of this out. I can find CD Remasters from 2016-2018 for V34, UtD, TSMS, Signify, and Stars Die. It appears there is a remaster of Staircase Infinities, but I can only find it in MP3 or Hi-Res (which is okay, but I'm wondering if it is available on CD as well). Anybody know?
    There were reissues of OtSoL and Coma Divine, but I don't think they are remasters.
    Which of the Delerium Years release remasters is available in Hi-Res?

After the Delerium Years, there appears to be nothing new on the PT front (on CD). FOABP appears to be have been remastered in 2012 and the new blu-ray release of Arriving Somewhere is a direct transfer from DVD in terms of video and sound. Looking forward to what 2019 will bring for IA and Deadwing.

Runicen likes this.
  21. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Coma Divine was remastered in 2012 (KSCOPE488). It’s also now 2 CDs with 14 tracks. It’s good! :agree:

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Acouple corrections:
    I don't think any are available as Hi-Res downloads, only lossless Redbook (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
    FOABP wasn't really remastered for CD in 2012, it is an incorrect credit from the vinyl master.
    The BR of Arriving Somewhere isn't a direct transfer of the DVD in the sense that while the video is standard definition (and will always be), the encoding is better; and the sound, while the same mastering, is presented here in lossless.

23. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Voyage 34, Up The Downstair and Staircase Infinities are (or were) all available in hi-res at 7digital.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

Plan9 and seasonsinthesky like this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

25. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

So the digibook CD version of FOABP isnt remasteted? I thought it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.