Portable DVD players?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CM Wolff, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member Thread Starter

Searched the archives thinking they have already been discussed, but didn't come up with anything. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with portable DVD players? I just starting looking at them and actually thought there would be a wider range of brands/models out there than there are. I do not need anything ultra-high end (this is for plane rides, hotel rooms, etc.), but don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on garbage either. Costco, Target, and Bestbuy seem to push the Mintek line; its reviews online have been slightly scary, though (doesn't seem like the most dependable product).

Any thoughts/recommendations are sincerely appreciated.

2. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I got a portable Panasonic player a couple of months ago. It's great! But I'd never use it as a desktop replacement. It lacks progressive video outputs, for example.

I saw some other models (Apex), but to be honest, they looked incredibly cheap and flimsy when compared to the Panny. I'd think of them as disposable devices.

BTW, I got my portable player because it's DVD-A compatible :D Imagine that... I now own a portable device with high resolution audio.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

How much did the player set ya back?

4. Dob

Dob New Member

Every time I'm tempted to pick one of these up, I figure I'm better off saving my money and putting it towards a laptop that has DVD capability.

Of course, if prices keep coming down, I may get one anyway.

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I bought an Audiovox with a 7" screen at Costco last summer for $250 or so. It was selling everywhere else for around $400. We used for the kids in the car on vacation last year without any problems. In fact, they use it at home in there room at times. My boys even figured out how to connect the Playstation to it. Overall, I have been pleased with it. The only problem I noticed is the battery pack does not work anymore. However, it came with an adapter to use in the car and AC plug for the house.

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I would not go with a cheap brand/no name machine for portable because it is the pickup and the mechanical parts that are the first to go in cheap units, while electronics may be the same as what brand names would use. I assume a portable would be subjected to more rough treatment than a desktop player, so I guess it needs to be sturdy in mechanical terms.

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Actually, if you find a used laptop that can play DVDs, the price isn't too badly out of line. I'm considering that for myself, actually.

What I'd really like for the car, though, is a portable with two detachable screens. I've seen one or two at various places, but as usual, they are no-name brands. :shake: I could do a permanent in-car DVD installation (or just get a car with it built in already), but that means it is locked into one location. And more expensive, too.

8. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the info...this is very helpful. Some of the issues mentioned (e.g. the batteries failing to take a charge after awhile) have been described in many reviews, so I am indeed worried about this potential purchase.

I was not heartened by one of the Costco display models I looked at over the weekend having some difficulties with the monitor (the movie shifted size bizarrely.)

Any more thoughts are still appreciated. This is helpful.

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

$249, with a $50 rebate.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.