'Pose' new series by Ryan Murphy 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by johnaltman, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yawn.. how about a show about Blockbuster video type of store back the late 80's.
    I don't want another 30 something again..

3. Heh. I'm actually in for this, to at least give it a try. It looks colorful.

The thing about Ryan & Brad is that there shows can run the gamut from great to dreadful. They do a lot of stuff, and I often wonder if they spread themselves too thin.

This one looks intriguing, though. Still, I'm a bit tired of Evan Peters.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Looks like "Paris Is Burning"- The TV Show!

jpelg and ralphb like this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

This will be something to see. Transgender/LGBTQ cast, lots of money behind it, drama and fierceness on display. Yeah, it does sound like "Paris Is Burning" if only for the concentration on the Ballroom scene and the lives of people who live in the various houses. I wonder if they'll supply a glossary at the end of each show so people will get all the slang.:) The more LGBTQ/transgender/non-binary folks on TV the better, I say. Looking forward to it.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I miss Kate Mara on TV.

7. ralphb

Great show, full of glitter and drama and dirt, bitchiness and love. Everything about it rings true except for the fact that the west side docks didn't look like that in the 80's, but you can't have everything. Don't know how well this show is going to fly with the general public, and everyone will have something to gripe about, but this is high end, beautifully written drama with a large amount of, as they would say on the show, realness. The entire cast is wonderful, with Mj Rodriguez, Billy Porter and Ryan Jamaal Swain knocking it out of the park in every scene. Ryan Murphy really made this a labor of love and it shows. Bravo.

JDeanB, johnaltman and OldSoul like this.
  8. Great premise, good plot, terrible execution.

I'm telling you, the showrunners are spreading themselves way too thin.

The soundtrack is great, though. I applaud the effort that it took to make this show come true. It just seemed too generic. I hate to say that because I really wanted to like it. Maybe the production was just too slick. :shrug:

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it. Some of the dialogue is a bit too expository and tries too hard to get its point across but I love the soundtrack and some of the actors are very likable.

10. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The most recent episode was excellent. Billy Porter is a fantastic actor.

johnaltman, ralphb and jpelg like this.
  11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The entire episode of "Love Is the Message" is amazing.

johnaltman and ralphb like this.
  12. ralphb

The show is going from strength to strength, the plots are getting deeper and the characters growing. The last two episodes have been the best of the season with Mj Rodriguez, Indya Moore and Billy Porter giving knockout performances. Those scenes in the hospital and with Blanca's family were wrenching. Plus the soundtrack is perfect. Nice that they had Sandra Bernhard as a guest star.

johnaltman likes this.
  13. ralphb

14. ralphb

The last episode was stunning, bitchy (Elektra's read on the House of Ferocity was brilliant), triumphant, and, as one reviewer put it, quite radical in its way. The show has been renewed for a second season.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    johnaltman and jpelg like this.
  15. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Wonderful season finale which, to me, was really about "choices". (Overall) positive & empowering choices that our main characters each made for themselves after going through their respective arcs this season.

Glad to hear it's been renewed!

johnaltman and ralphb like this.
  16. ralphb

Loved Angel's kiss-off to Stan "you're not my first prince charming". She's almost like a Ronettes song come to life.
    There are so many ways for them to go next season, so many plot lines to follow. The impact of HIV on that community alone could take up the entire season.
    Mj Rodriguez was fantastic, as was the entire cast. A few award nominations, at least, would not be out of order.

johnaltman likes this.
  17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Another poignant episode with this week's "Never Knew Love Like This Before".

This second season has been fantastic, with several parallel, yet intertwined storylines. Each character is being given their moment in the spotlight.

JDeanB likes this.
  18. ralphb

This season has been wonderful, especially that first episode, which was wrenching. I like how they make sure the audience understands that these struggles are ongoing and not to be ignored. It has also been very political, but always makes sure that it's all woven into the storyline. Excellent writing and acting all around and the costumes this year are completely over the top in a very good way. None of this gets in the way of the excellent storytelling.
    Tuesday's episode was note perfect, veering from pathos to very dark comedy, and the scenes between Candy and her parents, then Candy and Lulu, were heartbreaking and affirming at the same time. Angelica Ross knocked it out of the park with her performance.
    And whoever decided to use "Buffalo Stance" by Neneh Cherry in one of the scenes gets a great big kiss from me.
    Great show, one of the best things on television, and it's already been renewed for a 3rd season.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    JDeanB and jpelg like this.
  19. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I'm streaming it in Netflix, so I've only seen season 1. Really loved it, on so many levels.

Elektra wound up with the perfect job. "We do not cater to the bridge and tunnel crowd." Followed by her delight in receiving a printed paycheck instead of literally filthy money.

ralphb likes this.
  20. ralphb

Oh, Elektra has more tricks up her sleeve, just wait until you hit the second season. Dominique Jackson is a joy to watch on that show.

21. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Omg, this week's ep, "Love's In Need of Love Today" is perfection, from beginning to end. Mj Rodriguez & Billy Porter's duet cover of Stevie Wonder had me both in tears and grinning ear-to-ear at the same time.

ralphb likes this.
  22. ralphb

Not to mention La Lupone's rendition of "I'm Still Here", and Billy Porter doing "The Man That Got Away" to a room full of gay men with AIDS. The acting, the storylines, the outfits, the songs, this season has gone from strength to strength and I can't believe it isn't getting more traction here.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    jpelg likes this.
  23. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It was my least favorite episode of the series, possibly. It was good, but just such a different feel. The last scene with the protest was the only thing that felt like a scene from this series.

24. ralphb

It was all in keeping with the overall theme of the season which is fighting back, against those who wish you gone, and also fighting back against AIDS. The benefit concert was a good representation in microcosm of how music gave a lot of people back then something to hang onto, a source of hope and empowerment. Pray Tell's battle with his reaction to AZT also rang true, a lot of people could not tolerate that drug, and it was all there was at the time.

OldSoul and jpelg like this.
  25. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Great season, ending on all positive notes for everyone (I had serious doubts for Papi's long-term prospects with Angel). The final scene showing the new young kids walking off with Blanca & Pray Tell gave hints to next season's direction. I will really miss the show in the meantime.

JDeanB and ralphb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.