positively the worst drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's interesting watching Zak Starkey play "Another Tricky Day" live, since he does it as Moon would have, namely with a splashy cymbal sound, unlike the straight up high hat sound Kenney Jones did the song with in the recording. Me, I thought Keith Moon was great.

I love the White Stripes, but man, Meg White is a terrible drummer! I mean, I could play drums better then her!

Evan
  2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yeah, he sucked. ;)
  3. brstp

brstp New Member

:laugh: :thumbsup:
  4. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Well-Known Member

Not even comparable. It's not a drum album. Just Moon butchering his favorite songs...and a classic album cover.

"Dont Worry Baby" anyone?
  5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Active Member

People used to say Ringo wasnt much of a drummer but I think he's pretty good, he did some nice drumming with the Beatles which really fitted the songs.
  6. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Well-Known Member

I don't have any idea who the world's worst drummer is. But here's a picture that fall into that catagory. I always thought the caption should be something like "Don't let this happen to you." Nice, nice outfit.

This thread some how reminds me of the guy who says he has a horse that can count to ten. And his buddy replies, that's a remarkable horse, but not a remarkable mathematician. Substitute "drummer" and "musician" and you get the idea.

I read an interview where the reporter stated to John Lennon that Ringo was the best drummer in England. John replied, Is he? Because he's not the best drummer in the Beatles.

On a related note, but a bit of a capper, a couple of guys who really strike me as guitar players that play great drums on famous albums are Micky Waller on Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story" and Dallas Reeves on CSNY "Deja Vu." I don't think the first guy actually plays the guitar, but I recall reading that Dallas Reeves was originally a guitar player.

Sometimes the stuff these guys come up with is so unique it's great. They're more like groupies who just jump in -- it's great. (Again, I am not saying they are not great drummers -- not saying that at all.) They just have a guitar-oriented concept, to my way of hearing it. Sounds weird, I guess.

Attached Files:

7. I used to feel that way about Mike Clarke, but now I can kind of appreciate his style - unorthodox, but he had some interesting ideas - sort of adventurous really. For me it all comes down to whether or not the drumming suits the music. I'd rather hear Mike Clarke's drumming for the Bryds (as opposed to a "trained" drummer) - he made "that sound" for "that music" and it fits well in my mind. If I have to nominate something - I had a friend who was really into Marillion and I liked the music well enough, but I felt the drummer (no idea who it was) kinda detracted from the music overall. That's about the only time I've been put off (though we've all heard plenty of sub-standard musicianship) in that way. Otherwise I can appreciate drummers with limited technique because sometimes they come up with interesting ideas (instead of leaning on well-trodden musical cliches - something I feel has happened to my own drumming unfortunately!).
    ------ Chris
  8. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Active Member

Keith Moon was understated excellence imo.
  9. nosticker

nosticker Well-Known Member

Sorry, don't agree with you on either count. And I've been drumming for 30 years, so it's all opinion! I guess there's no way to dis any musician without someone being a bit miffed.

For me, it's never just about the drummer him/herself; it's how they fit into the band situation....and whether they serve the song well....or not.

For instance, I love Grant Hart's drumming in Husker Du as much as I love Vinnie Colaiuta's work with Zappa. Go figure!

My least favorite is almost any Meg White drum performance. Again, all opinion!

Dan
  10. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Well-Known Member

Bartholomew Smith Frost of Sweathog.

Well, actually he wasn't a bad drummer until the drum solos. Sweathog showed up as opening act in a couple of concerts I attended in the early 70s. The drum solos were boring, but that isn't the real issue. I don't want to put this unkindly, but when you saw one of those solos you learned how the band got its name. :eek:
  11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer Remasteritis free

Speaking of women in rock, how about Maureen Tucker of V.U. fame? (from a drummers POV)
  12. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Well-Known Member

It is hard to paint with a broad brush. After all, are we talking technical proficiency, style, how it fits into the overall context of the sound? On the latter two I'd say that Ringo, Moon, Mike Clarke...and yes, even Dave Clark fit the bill well.

On the former, I'd say that Mick Fleetwood is the most rock steady, tempo-wise, drummer I've ever heard. He could probably play a groove for 24 hours without wavering!
  13. nosticker

nosticker Well-Known Member

Actually, I'll add Mick Pointer, the original drummer for Marillion. Yikes! Also, additional points for the original drummer for Quiet Riot(NOT Frankie Banali).....double yikes!

Dan
  14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

totally made up rubbish. John never said that.
  15. MisterBritt

Just reporting what I read, sir. Please don't shoot the messenger. Hey, I couldn't make something that funny up. It sure sounds like authentic John Lennon to me.
  16. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member

I'm surprised we haven't gotten to the inevitable Neil Peart worship/bashing yet. It would be the perfect opportunity to either:
    a) go into the inherently overly-simplistic technique vs "feel" debate; or
    b) go into the phenomenon of Rush hating/loving that still baffles me to this day, a phenomenon matched only by U2 discussions
  17. :biglaugh: :thumbsup:
  18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Sorry....wasn't dumping on you. That quote has come up many times. SO not true. Read the Playboy interview and you'll see John call Ringo a damn fine drummer.
  19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Active Member

Do people read Playboy interviews? ;)
  20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

To dislike Neil Peart's drumming is to dislike breathing!
  21. MisterBritt

No offense taken. I think it's just so darn funny. Like Ringo saying "Eight Days A Week," -- nobody thinks he's stupid or mathematically challenged. It's just funny stuff. You can tell some of the guys on this thread have a tremendous sense of humor, and many are drummers.

For instance, look at all the guys who are great drummers who followed a career in comedy: Bob Newhart, Jerry Lewis, Johnny Carson, Dana Carvey, Bill Crosby -- and the list goes on. These guys are widely believed to have been of the caliber that they could easily have succeeded as professional musicians.
  22. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Hey, don't forget me, I'm pretty terrible too!

Jason
  23. zardozislove

zardozislove Member

Sasquatch from the Tenacious D show on HBO.
  24. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member

They weren't asking for the worst swimming drummer.... :laugh:
  25. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

:laugh:

Well, the term "overrated" is subjective. All I'm saying is you could simply say never liked Keith Moon's drumming. One can't argue that.

Anyway, I adore Keith Moon's drumming. I wish more drummers would play with that unpredictable style. He's exciting and you can feel the music pulsating by his every move. It's like he's guiding a plane! Tha landings, the take-offs! Thrilling!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)