positively the worst drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

What is it that Charlie Watts can do better than any of the drummers mentioned here?

He can keep a rock-steady beat, but he only knows one. I'm surprised he doesn't fall asleep behind his kit.

In comparison, Ringo Starr was/is an avant-garde drummer with stellar technical abilities.

2. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

ouch

3. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Ringo? He's a great drummer! I mean, come on, Tomorrow Never Knows? Come on!
    McCa? He's a fine drummer! Listen to Momma Miss America on McCartney, the man grooves!
    Moe Tucker? Well she's certainly not the most technical, but she has such a unique and original style, you can't say she's a bad drummer. She's one of the best IMO, she changed the rules of drumming.
    Keith Moon? Now that's just talking crazy. How about Buddy Rich?

No the true worst drummers are: Meg White (I could play what she plays and I suck), whoever it is that plays the drums on Calvin Johnson records, and... Todd Rundgren (you can't be good at everything).

4. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Keith Moon.........

Witness 'I Can't Explain' from the same movie. :cool:

5. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

See #127 above.

6. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Bev's work with The Move speaks for itself.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

7. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Agreed, personally I love the Rock n Roll Circus footage of A Quick One, amazing stuff!!
    He's all over the kit and lovin it, he's singing/acting along and totally into the song, my fave Moonie performance.

Notice how much the cameras focus on Moon, he was really putting on a show. It gives a great insight into whyMoon worked so well as the drummer in the Who.

Now which drummer hasn't impressed me much?..

JJ

8. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Whenever I read someone defending Ringo I wonder whether he or she actually believes Ringo is a good drummer or is just being influenced by his/her love of the Beatles. My opinion is that Ringo isn't good, but he isn't bad either. He is very limited, but he has always known how to use what little skills he has in creating a steady, solid beat. His trademark drumming stands out in Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band" solo album.

I had never paid attention to Pete Best's style until I heard his version of "Love Me Do". His drumming on that track is very similar to what he did on "Cry For a Shadow", as if that were all he could do at the drums. He sounds like a beginner playing awkwardly, trying to get his lessons right. No wonder George Martin did not like him.

9. dude

dude Senior Member

the guy from Metallica

the guy from Phish

10. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not a Beatles fan but I think Ringo's great, he's my favourite Beatle. Octopus's Garden - best Beatles song imo.

11. dude

dude Senior Member

Charlie has had numerous great moments on record but he sure does trash his wonderful grooves on stage.

12. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

What about a drummer with little-to-none technical proficiency and little personality or soul?

The two properties are not inversely proportional.

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Joey Kramer-Aerosmith

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Listen to the Decca audition cuts, Best plays those same fills over and over again. He had two tricks available, and he used them over and over again. Anyone who says Pete Best was a better drummer than Ringo is either deaf, or a Best relative. :laugh:

15. This is from a post-Beatles source, right? Like a remake album he recorded?

16. reechie

reechie Senior Member

No, the version on Beatles Anthology 1 is an early demo take with Best on drums. Best's performance at that demo recording date is what prompted George Martin to bring in Andy White for the actual session.

17. lofreek

lofreek New Member

Rikki Rockett from Poison
    Steven Adler from Guns and Roses

These guys couldn't groove to save their lives.

18. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I assume the drummer you're talking about "of some repute" who sounded horrible
    with Stevie Nicks was Liberty DeVito.

Liberty's stuff fits with Billy Joel... he sounded completely out of place with Stevie

19. DMM714

DMM714 Forum Resident

That guy that plays for Train.

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

And can't tell a steady tempo if it hit them over the head. There are many things to criticize about Anthology 1, but at least it finally puts to rest the myth that Best would have been a valuable member of the Beatles.

The silliest thing I ever heard Best claim was in an interview where he said that the "poor drumming" thing was just a made-up excuse and that the other three conspired to get rid of him because he was better-looking than anyone else. :rolleyes:

21. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Please. West Coast gansta rap would not exist today without all of the sampling done on that "Sugar, Sugar" lick. Both Dr. Dre and Snoop have stated in numerous interviews how heavily they were influenced by Jughead's funky beats.

22. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

My least favorite Zappa drummer was Chad Wackerman. Maybe it was just the way he was recorded, but after Aynsley Dunbar, Chester Thompson, Terry Bozio, and Vinnie Colaiuta, Chad's a wimp.

23. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

One man's "boring" is another man's "tasteful."

I think Fleetwood is so tight without getting in the way of the song. You don't need to embellish the Mac songs of the era from 1975-1982. He's perfect for the band.

24. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I can't stand Alex Van Halen's thin, tinny, ear-bleeding drum sound. He just sounds like he's plodding through everything. Except for "1984" I can't listen to Van Halen because of him.

25. reechie

reechie Senior Member

"All our friends are here, but it ain’t complete...We ain’t The Archies, without that Jughead beat." :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.