Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Actually the complaints were about the phony 2014 set not the previous ones. A quick scan of the Amazon reviews will confirm this.

Gems-A-Bems and The Beave like this.
  2. You must not have been around in 2004? Doing a quick scan of Amazon reviews, the first one that pops up is talking about the 'Duophonic' versions that 'we all grew up with'.
    In "Goldmine" magazine, Gillian Gaar wrote a review about how wonderful the stereo was pointing out one track which was actually 'Duophonic'. She got ripped pretty good over that review.
    Volume 2 had atleast one incorrect version of a track. Capitol did re-issue a corrected CD, but you had to send them your incorrect CD.
    Nope, lots of flack over those 2 CD sets.
    If you've got to have the 'Duophonic' versions, go buy the Capitol Albums sets and enjoy!

3. colgems1966

If you had actually read the thread other than just replying you'd know I have both cd sets as well as original vinyl.

While there was understandably disappointment about the incorrect fold down mono mixes that was an error. What was done in 2014 was deliberate and the reviews of that product are online for all to see.

The Beave likes this.
  4. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

i'm playing Beatles '65 right now and my god do the fake stereo tracks awful ... really it is that bad. It is like you are drunk at an outdoor show and you are thousands of yards away from the band.

5. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Apparently, some people want that in new releases of those records. Go figure.

6. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

But then it's not really Beatles '65 without those two disasters, is it? It's something else entirely. Maybe the new releases should be called Beatles '65-'14? :)

HarvG and colgems1966 like this.
  7. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The mono version doesn't have those disasters, and it's still Beatles '65.

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

But Capitol only had to ask for the stereo mixes back in 1964 - they were there on the shelf at EMI...

Capitol often seemed to be in a rush to 'stereo-ize' songs before true stereo mixes could be sent over (witness also Ticket To Ride or the 3 Y&T songs). It seems as if they thought their Duophonic efforts were just as good as the real thing (though did they ever actually listen to IFF & SAW after they had been put through the process?)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

To be more specific than "at least one track", the mono Rubber Soul was a fold down. Issued in 2006

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Arrogance

Onder and slane like this.
  11. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

So with 12 pages to this thread, we don't really know if there will be a US Vinyl box set released - in effect, still speculation at this point?

GTOJUDGE and Kwai Chang like this.
  12. A well respected man

Of course it is. And Please Please Me is still Please Please Me without the duophonic Love Me Do and PS I Love You.

13. colgems1966

yeah but it's mono. If it were stereo it should be duophonic otherwise it isn't the correct Capitol release.

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That and nothing more.

15. slane

slane Forum Resident

And Beatles VI. I suspect that because the other two albums in the set (Early Beatles & Help!) needed to be folded down, for some reason all 4 mistakenly did.

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

So was the Horzu Magical Mystery Tour not correct because it didn't have fake stereo on side 2? People seem to love the Horzu, but God forbid should other Beatles Capitol albums be improved.

I own the 2004 and 2006 boxes but never want to hear fake stereo trash and excessive reverb again.

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's another option - rather than replace the Duophonic tracks with stereo mixes, replace them with the mono mixes from which they were made, thus preserving the 'correct' mix but discarding the added 'effect'.

BTW, I wouldn't call LMD & PSILY 'duophonic' but a much simpler 'mock stereo'.

A well respected man likes this.
  18. A well respected man

Apparently, the current releases of Please Please Me and Yellow Submarine are also "incorrect" according to these propiedad.

I have the Capitol boxes too. They're nice as a curiosity, but I see no point in using the same masters in new releases.

Yes, IIRC duophonic is a trademark of Capitol's.

19. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I prefer the authentic stereo Please Please Me LP with the two mock stereo mixes George Martin created in 1963 specifically for that LP. Doesn't that more accurately reflect the "artistic intent"? If I want mono, those two tracks are on the mono LP or the 1976 single.

I'll admit I'm not a typical listener of these products. I want all the versions, not just the best.

Sure it's correct... for the German version. It's not correct for the US version. It's also not correct for the UK version, as it has a different mix of "I Am The Walrus".

You'll probably want to stick with the mono version of "I Am The Walrus" then.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well yes, but I see this thread as a fantasy thread, it's what we do as Beatle fans while we're waiting for some new product to come out.
    And who knows, Apple could very well be monitoring this thread and others to see what we would be interested in having released. And again, a 16 LP set with a Past Masters type of album that pulls all the stray cats together would be a Fab release for me. They HAVE run out of stuff to hawk to us, Hell even the Stones Mono box made me laugh at their gall at putting out such a redundant release, but here it sits, 14 feet away from me on the couch along with the CD version of the box that I haven't even opened yet! :winkgrin:
    Yes for about $250 I'd buy it, especially if they really did make it a limited edition of say.......3000 copies worldwide.
    They would guarantee a sell out.
    Money in their pockets.
    The beave

colgems1966 likes this.
  21. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I would have preferred to see the US Rarities included in a Volume 3, over either Revolver or Hey Jude, since it contains some unique mixes and songs left off of the earlier Capitol albums.

22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I agree.
    Or make a new updated version and call it 'Rarities......Plus'.
    The beave

23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

A shame that Capitol didn't complete the volumes last decade, have theses volumes complete and have the US albums box will be a good choice for the people, nostalgic ou quality?

24. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Are you sure that's correct? I seem to recall that when the Capitol Albums Vol. 2 set was released, people immediately realized the fold-down error had been made with Rubber Soul because of very obvious missing false start that should have been on the mono version of "I'm Looking Through You." It was then determined that all of the mono Rubber Soul was, mistakenly, a fold-down ... but the other three albums in the set had correct mono mixes as heard on the original Capitol LPs. That was the consensus, anyway...

25. A well respected man

-Authentic? It's called fake stereo for a reason ;). The twin tracks for those two songs were lost or didn't exist. George Martin had no option, nothing to do with artistic intent (proof being he didn't want to preserve those fake stereos in the new releases). The Capitol people, on the other hand, made duophonics even when stereo mixes existed.

I agree with wanting all the versions though, but once the Capitol boxes exist, I understand they use the best possible sources in new releases.

-I agree regarding the unique mix of IATW, but I don't consider duophonics as mixes.

And what about Y&T? Are the later editions with real stereo "not authentic"

ibanez_ax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.