Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

1. Because, as slane said, you wouldn't have the unique mixes. Besides, Greg Calbi tweaked a little the sound of the songs that came from the 2009 remasters.

2. Because many people don't know how or don't want to make playlists, they want to have the manufactured CDs with artwork and everything.

3. I think some people have the wrong focus on this: Why do you have to question another person's decision to buy a product? If you don't like it, just don't buy it. It's good to have different choices: Capitol boxes, US Albums box, original records or not buy at all.

He never talked about mixes, he just said he didn't like the sound quality of the originals. And that exactly is what this set was intended for: an upgraded version of the US albums (altough it has a couple of important mistakes, as I said before).

2. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

1. Yesterday... and Today was not included in either of the Capitol albums sets, so the three Dexterized/Duophonic tracks on it haven't been released on CD.
    2. I understand the point of the 2014 US albums box, own it and enjoy it.

The Dexterized tracks are, at best, of nostalgic/historic interest. Sonically, they suck mightily: always have, always will. They sound much like the product of some middle-aged Beatle-hater who patted himself on the back for second-guessing George Martin and ripping off his customers.

3. A well respected man

That's also true. And the three (or is it two?) stereo unique mixes from later editions.

Me too! :cheers:

I agree.

cakeordeath, ibanez_ax and SixtiesGuy like this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Going back to the OP, if the Capitol 75th edition of 'Meet The Beatles' is anything other than the 2014 mono version (or at the outside, the 2014 stereo), I'll be surprised.

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Its not historically correct without those Capitol masters. Why not add some synthesizers and a Linn drum machine to those tracks too. That'd make it sound even better, bring it more up to date. Maybe John could sing a duet with Taylor Swift.

SixOClockBoos and Keith V like this.
  6. A well respected man

Yeah, can you imagine someone doing that to the Beatles music? Or adding loads of reverb to it, extra compression, moving the stereo image...? Oh, wait! :D

SixtiesGuy and Bingo Bongo like this.
  7. colgems1966

The point is that's the way Americans heard it in the 60s. If you don't like what was done to the music buy the UK catalog. The point of the Capitol albums is the history and to have an interesting variation.......otherwise there's no need for its existence.

8. A well respected man

If you want to be historically accurate, you could only listen to the original LPs in 60s turnatables. Upgrades are usual in the catalogs. Capitol upgraded Y&T substituting real stereo for the three duophonic tracks of the original release in the 70s and 80s. The UK catalog has been upgraded too, removing the few duophonics.

Many people like the US albums' sequence, artwork and unique mixes, but want them in the best possible sound. Now we have the US albums for that (with its mistakes) and the Capitol boxes for those who want the crappy sound and duophonics (although it is incomplete). Choice is good.

Shaker Steve likes this.
  9. colgems1966

I do listen to it on vintage Hi-Fi equipment......just good quality. Not everyone listened on a portable, but the albums only came with two mixes mono and stereo.......and we know which ones they were don't we?

10. colgems1966

Let's leave the 2014 version to CDs and iTunes since it's not historic technology anyway. Why ruin a potentially great vinyl reissue?

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  11. A well respected man

What do the mixes have to do with the Dexter manipulations?

Let's be realistic: do you think they will issue an 180-g. brand new vinyl with duophonic songs and using a second or third generation master?

Shaker Steve likes this.
  12. colgems1966

No I don't think they will. It would be too much work for too little return to do it right. If they release anything it'll be the 2014 Frankenstein and purists won't buy.

13. A well respected man

Frankenstein? In Meet the Beatles! there are no unique mixes missing, no remixed tracks used. They just substituted real mono and stereo for fold-down mono (which in this case it sounds basically the same, being twin-track material) and two duophonic tracks. The rest is the same material, just with better sound.

14. colgems1966

They didn't use the Capitol masters.....simple as that. The Capitol albums are supposed to have unique mixes, reverb and Duophonic on some tracks. That's the fact of history. Anything else is like colorizing Citizen Kane.

People dump on Dave Dexter but the fact is I like Duophonic, I like the Beatles Second Album drenched in reverb. That's the way it was and no amount of revisionism is going to change that.

musicfan37 and SixOClockBoos like this.
  15. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

Everything you just said is revisionism.

Easy-E likes this.
  16. colgems1966

.......no man I'm dealing in facts. If you're going to do Capitol albums you use the Capitol masters. Don't try to make improvements. Let's improve vinyl with CDs, improve tube amps with transistor s, B&W films by colorizing them etc ...etc......see where it all leads?

musicfan37 likes this.
  17. colgems1966

We can agree to disagree but another fact is lots of people hated the 2014 set and refused to buy it.

18. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

I hear what you are saying. But the fact is all of those drenched in reverb, duophonic mixes are revisions not intended to be released by The Beatles in the first place.

Shaker Steve likes this.
  19. colgems1966

yes I know that but the fact is that they were. That's the crux of what they are. If you release Capitol albums and don't use those masters they are not Capitol albums they are something else entirely. ( the US albums I guess ....) but they are not and cannot be correct.

SixOClockBoos and hoover537 like this.
  20. colgems1966

Everybody has their own way of looking at this but let me put it this way: let's say the 1978 purple labels sounded superior to the original rainbows......id still choose the rainbows because those are more authentic and with the Beatles , for me .......authenticity matters as much as sound quality.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Because it's a pain in the a@@ to do that when a nice neat NEW LP box set is available for say.........$225.00.
    Tthe beave

DockBoggs likes this.
  22. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Duophonic and reverb is the only way to release these on vinyl because that's the way they were initially released.

colgems1966 likes this.
  23. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Interesting that you use the words Authentic & Authenticity. What you got in the 60's was anything BUT authentic. The real authentic versions were what EMI in London sent over. Why didn't Capitol just issue the tracks as they received them, instead of letting Dexter (a middle aged jazz fan) spit all over them, creating Frankenstein copies.

Of course the fans didn't know any different, I don't suppose that many knew of the real versions as issued in the U.K. As you say, Capitol themselves issued better quality versions in the 70's & 80's. You have the Capitol box sets from 04 & 06 if you wish to listen to US versions. What I would want on vinyl is the best sounding versions along with different US versions.

24. A well respected man

Funny how people turn things upside down and don't even realize it. Colorizing Citizen Kane? As in adding something the artists didn't want to the picture? Well, that's exactly what Dexter did to the Beatles' music.

So it's really that you reject the black and white Citizen Kane because the first time you saw the movie it was a colorized version. Or rejecting the Mona Lisa because the first time you saw it someone had painted a moustache on it.

You are entitled to like the dexterized versions, the same way you can prefer a colorized Citizen Kane. Nobody is trying to change that, it's just that the artists are looking after the integrity of their work, and they are also entitled to it.

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I know they'll be playing the Stanley Cup playoffs in Hades before it ever happens, but I would like to see an official re-release of Rarities before any of the other mid-to-late 70's Capitol compilations (Rock And Roll Music, etc). I love Rarities- the versions of "Walrus" and "Penny Lane" on there are my go-to versions.
    I admit that "authenticity" was a large part of the reason I went after original mono 60's issues myself when it came to my Beatles' vinyl collection. Other than that I already have their albums in the best possible sound quality: the 2009 Stereo and mono box sets. I just like seeing them old Rainbow labels spinning round on the turntable:righton:
    [​IMG]

Shaker Steve likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.