Possible Pink Floyd Pisser (Roger Waters too)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, what little research will reveal, so far indicates firm release dates for Live at Pompeii (June) and THE WALL: Live in Berlin (April 28) for REGION TWO PAL DVD's. I have seen nary a whisper about them on any DVD sellers sites here in the states on region one NTSC. Anybody know? Do you think they'd shaft us like that? Or might we just be waiting a little longer? Thanks.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There are DVD players that are region free, but I would wait. Betcha a US release follows....

3. Pinknik

I would hope so. Especially the Pompeii. Lotsa die hard Floyd fans would love that one. The sight www.rogerwatersonline.com describes the new DVD as having the Pompeii performance uninterrupted by the studio stuff which is treated as bonus material at nearly twice the original running time. I kinda like the way the movie was originally constructed, but I'd pick this up regardless.

4. Pinknik

P.S. The same site also states a 5.1 SACD of the Wall in Berlin is scheduled. I wonder if this is all stuff being done by James Guthrie w/ the band or if both of these projects are being done by "outsiders." Interesting. And Rog is supposed to be working on a new solo album. Could be good Floydian times.

5. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I have my fingers crossed for a domestic Pompeii DVD. I've been waiting a loooong time for that one!

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

In that case, they probably should have used DVD's "seamless branching" option and let the viewers choose which version of Pompeii they want to watch at a given time - with or without the studio stuff.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There may be one or more ways to watch the film with or without branching. I have seen conflicting reports about how all of the stuff is presented.

In any case, they would be leaving too many $$$ on the table if they did not do a Region 1 release, so barring any disputes over rights and royalties in the US and Canada, we will almost certainly be seeing a US release.

Regards,

8. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Yeah, I can't think that the Region 1 release would be too far behind if any or maybe a Region 0 (all regions) it seems that some musical dvd's have that right?

I would really look forward to seeing the whole concert uninterupted, what a treat! The studio stuff all in one shot might be a little hard to take for most so it would be nice to have the branching option (is this truely seamless?)

As far as a Roger Waters album that has been in the works for a long time (like all his projects) with all that is happening in the world right now I'm sure there is lots of "materiel" for some of the themes we are fimiluar with Roger dealing with.
    There is also an Opera in the works (and that too for a number of years)

I remember hearing years ago that Nick Mason was working on a vidieo anthology and book in fact it was almost finished quite some time ago. The rumor was Dave Gilmour was not happy as it he felt Waters was given too much credit at Gilmour's expence. Wouldn't it be great to see the old footage of a Syd Barrett led Pink Floyd on "American Bandstand" and the infamous interview of Syd by Pat Boone on his show.
    There could really be an interesting Pink Floyd anthology when you think of it given all the films they used in concert and since The Wall concerts were originaly filmed word is the film was dark and they decided not to use it for the wall movie but there must be something useable.

9. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Gotta have this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.