Possible problems with the new STAR WARS DVD's.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cleandan, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Mine plays OK so I would guess it's a combo of pressing/player issues. I think there are probably variances in pressing runs and different machines/firmware revs. If the disc pressing as well as machine reading tolerances are out enough "in the same direction" you may have a problem. Only a guess but, might have some merit.

2. hentzau

hentzau New Member

I can tell you from personal experience that I tried three different sets on 4 different players, and had failures each time. I finally had to brow beat a Target manager into submission to give me my money back.

Fox has admitted the problem exists, but not publicly. If you call Fox's Consumer Affairs hotline at (888) 223-2FOX and tell you that you have a problem with your copy of ANH, they will send you out a replacement disc. They told me to expect to wait a couple of weeks.

3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I've watched 'A New Hope' with no problems.
    My disc of Empire seems to be very noisy, with the disc spinning quite a few time before my player (Sony) reads it, but it plays OK. I tried it on a friends player and it was a lot quieter.
    As I have the volume up quite loud for these films it so it's not an issue:D

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I did not have any problems with my Trilogy...played flawlessly. I thought the new documentary by Ken Burns was awesome!

5. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Kevin Burns...no relation.

It was just as good as Ken's stuff in my opinion.

6. invisibleman

invisibleman New Member

Faint green line along bottom of screen

I bought the "Star Wars" Trilogy last weekend, and decided to watch "A New Hope". When I put the disc in my player and started the movie, there was a faint green line at the bottom of the screen. The damn thing remained there for the whole duration of the movie! I noticed that sometimes it dimmed quite a lot, but then it would light up again a few seconds later. I thought that it might have been the player that had the problem, so I put the disc in my other dvd player (which is a different brand, and of better quality), and it still had the same problem.

Has anyone else had symptoms like this with their dvd of "A New Hope"?

Looks like I'll have to take it back and exchange it for another copy. Don't you hate it when you buy something, and out of a batch of 200 items + you get the dud?

7. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Sounds like a regional problem.

8. crhabeck

crhabeck New Member

Just got around to playing Star Wars ANH. Picture and sound seem fine BUT, the printed translations for Greedo and Jabba are off the bottom of the screen. Looking at it on a Sony widescreen TV and the first line of their speech is fine but if it uses two lines the second is below the bottom of the screen. If I set the TV for 4:3 it all fits. Since the DVD sets an HD TV to 16:9 format I think thay should have fit all the txt properly. Anyone else have this problem? Haven't seen it addressed anywhere. Thanks

9. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Does your TV have different aspect ratios? My Sony widescreen can shift between 4:3 (you get black bars at the sides)Widescreen, and what it calles 'smart' where it streches the picture to fill the whole screen. If it picks the 'smart' setting it'll cut off subtitles on widescreen DVD's. Check if your TV has a dedicated widescreen setting.

10. Well, another possibility....

I read somewhere that the translations are generated by the player as opposed to produced on the film print itself; thats why they look crappy on all the SW DVDs. I never knew that and always wondered why they looked ragged when I first bough EP 1. Of course, all that may be BS, but they do look poor to me.

So, it it possibly a player issue? I know my player ( a Denon 1600) places them in the 2.35:1 frame, so when viewed on my WS set, nothing is lost.

Good points also about possible stretch modes. On a WS set, you should have black bars top and bottom for all the SW films; if not, there is some stretching going on.

BGL

11. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

They are player generated subtitles on the star wars dvd. They do not use the original burned in subtitles. I, like BGL, also don't care for player generated subtitles. I much prefer the original burned in titles.

12. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

The cynic in me tells me this triliogy DVD set is just a test pressing...just wait what happens when the latest and greatest technology--the Blue-Ray DVDs and/or the HD DVDs--comes out either later this year or early next year. Wanna bet George & Company will re-release the triliogy AGAIN, but this time include the original releases all buffed and polished?

Sidebar: It would be cool if the rest of the original cast would do commentaries, like Carrie Fisher did. Would die for Mark Hamill commentary tracks...I hear he's quite a comedian and does a mean Yoda impression! Just for fun, have a Darth Vader (in character) commentary track, but only for "Empire." Ya know, kind of like MGM's re-release of "This is Spinal Tap," where you hear the cracking wise of the band (in character).

Sidebar II: I wonder how many "Star Wars" extras are still locked up in the vaults, like that dreaded Star Wars Christmas special!

###

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.