Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

First off, while this may be my first post to this forum, I have come to find this forum as the "go to" source in my renewed obsession with vinyl that was awakened approximately a year ago. I have used this to search the best pressing for every album before buying, after I got burned on a bum bootleg copy of "Paul's Boutique."

Anyways, after reading and researching about the rare hot pressings of albums (Rubber Soul-Hot Cut, etc.), I have a small list of albums I search for every time I enter a record buying environment. Well this weekend, while going through my local small record store, he had recently purchased a huge stockpile of sealed and unopened vinyl. I immediately went to the LZ section to see that he had a copy of LZ II with a "sealed" written on an outer sleeve. I have done quite a bit of research before finding this album on what to spot, but it's obviously even harder to spot when it is sealed.

The known facts of this album are:
    -Catalog number SD 8236
    -No RIAA sticker
    -No "Whole Lotta Love" hype sticker
    -Track Listing sticker on the shrink wrap
    -Sadly it does have a drill hole through the sleeve
    -The shrink wrap is still tightly sealed as if from the factory

My brain is still kind of buzzing with all the possibilities. My first issue is, how on earth do I verify this is an RL pressing? Is that even possible? From what I've read, most if not all of the signs are there for it to be an RL copy. Also, opening this is not even in the realm of a possibility for me. So do I sell it? Trade it? Hold on to it for future sale? I'm not sure I could possibly sell this with any reassurances that it is indeed an RL copy without knowing, and I'd feel like a d*ck if it turned out not to be. Would love you guys thoughts.[​IMG]

2. dkswaff

Again, I'm new to the posting mechanics but I'll try to add more pics [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

3. dkswaff

More pics[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Open it-only way to know for sure...
    Given the fact that any buyer would demand to see the RL in the dead wax, you will not decrease the value of this record. I would keep it if it is a real one :D.
    Good luck ...remember, its just a record ..
    ATB,
    Mark

bru87tr, rawmacias, agaraffa and 11 others like this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just curious....how much was it?

6. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Stickers would be the best way to identify if it is sealed. Otherwise, you would have to open it to check the dead wax.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Can you crack it open just enough to see if it has the company sleeve that came with the album when it was first released? Still, this would be no guarantee that you have an RL.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. dkswaff

I paid $70 for it.

9. dkswaff

Hopefully the pictures I tried to tag are viewable. I just talked with someone on Instagram that "verified" that without the Gold Record Sticker and/or the "Whole Lotta Love" hype sticker, it makes the possibilities really high that it's an RL. He also said that a drill hole is most likely because at the time it was being pulled.

10. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

They aren't.

jeff

ruben lopez likes this.
  11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Open it up. It isn't a first state Butcher cover. People buy the RL pressing of this for it's sonics, to be played, obviously you can do with it as you wish.

snkcube, izgoblin, LitHum05 and 4 others like this.
  12. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

In most browsers you can right click on the [​IMG] and select "Open image in new tab", or whatever similar option your browser supports.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  13. dkswaff

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Pictures don't show because the images need to end with ".jpg". Here, I'll re-post one for ya.

[​IMG]

dkswaff likes this.
  15. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Open her up! You would still have a verified, unplayed RL. That would be cool.

16. Lorraine, dzhason, ralphb and 12 others like this.
  17. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

For the unknowing (me) - why was a hole drilled in it?

18. dkswaff

Someone I reached out to on IG said that was most likely because the album was being pulled.

19. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

To let the cat out? :cheers:

ralphb, mrzpliff, rich100 and 6 others like this.
  20. dkswaff

I don't think I'd have the cajones to open it.

Wouldn't that affect the value if I ever decided to sell it at a later date?

21. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I found this title, still-sealed and with an early-looking jacket several years ago for $20. I decided I wanted to hear an unplayed "RL" and opened it (feeling a little like Charlie Bucket opening a candy bar) but it wasn't an "RL." It was fun playing it one time, and it was easy to get the $20 back on eBay.

"The suspense it terrible. I hope it'll last."

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

This is better than that Oak Island TV show.

Sean, Fullbug, SinnerSaint and 14 others like this.
  23. airpfaff

airpfaff Well-Known Member

All signs point to RL but you need to open. People buy this for the sound so I wouldn't worry about devaluing when opening. I own a beat up version and it may be the best sounding album in my collection. My fingers are crossed for you.

Lownote30 and tmtomh like this.
  24. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I found a used Led Zep II with an SD-8236 cover without the gold record award sticker awhile back. The LP inside was a mid-70s pressing with the 75 Rockafeller Plaza address in the perimeter text rather than the 1841 Broadway address (i.e., non RL)

25. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I do not believe there is any way to tell unless you open it.. my guess would be it is not an RL but it is just a guess..... my feeling is anyone interested in buying it will also guess it is not an RL because those are the overwhelming odds..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.